Will my headphones even benefit from a cmoy pocket amp?
Aug 29, 2010 at 6:03 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

gohanssjn

100+ Head-Fier
This is what I have right now:

Source:
iPod Touch 2G

Headphones:
Sennheiser HD212Pro
Shure SRH840

IEM:
Shure SE310

I was thinking of doing one of those DIY cmoy amps in an Altoids tin.  Would I even see any noticeable difference with my other components listed?

Aug 29, 2010 at 6:11 PM Post #2 of 10
Since I've never tried the cmoy, I can't answer totally.  But, I can say that the iPods actually have a surprisingly good DAC and headphone amp for their price point.  I've never felt the need to amp my iPods when I'm out and about.  I amp at home when I listen more critically.  But, on the go, I'm more than satisfied with my iPod stock.

Aug 29, 2010 at 6:17 PM Post #4 of 10
I bought a small G2 indeed amp on Ebay for around $50 that came from China.  Took a long time to arrive, but it was worth it.  Made a big difference in the sound, gave it more depth.  I could hear things in songs never heard before.  Its cool looking, but the heat sinks get hot, so watch your fingers.

Aug 29, 2010 at 7:24 PM Post #5 of 10
Mostl likely it will benefit but only with a line-out cable. Get one of those also. If you're not willing to shell out $60 for a DIY or branded unit using cryo cables just get the Fiio LOD online. I bought them ata brick and mortar store in my city for the equivalent of $6. Looks frail but its surprisingly robust, and it does sound better through the lineout with a cheap cable like this than with a nicer cable I got for my old PCDP that has a 3.5mm linout. Keeping that one in reserve in case I get an S:Flo2.

Aug 29, 2010 at 8:30 PM Post #7 of 10
I personally didn't like the cmoy port amp.. sound started to distort about halfway. Like yourself I use the SRH840's but i guess its not bad for the price you pay, does the job to an extent. Just don't expect something spectacular.

Aug 29, 2010 at 9:08 PM Post #8 of 10

Quote:
I personally didn't like the cmoy port amp.. sound started to distort about halfway. Like yourself I use the SRH840's but i guess its not bad for the price you pay, does the job to an extent. Just don't expect something spectacular.

That is unfortunate.  Although it would save me some money seeing as I need to buy everything needed, iron and such included.

Aug 30, 2010 at 3:24 AM Post #9 of 10
I bought a cmoy and have built a few and never really thought they were worth it except for higher impedance phones used with a portable device just to get some decent volume. I find the soundstage worse with a cmoy and that is with different configurations. The touch/iphone is actually pretty good.

Sep 6, 2010 at 2:05 PM Post #10 of 10
im thinking of building my own cmoy. how would it pair up with my m50s?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back