Will I destroy my CIEMs?
Oct 25, 2017 at 11:34 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

DAhn626

Head-Fier
Hi everyone,

Just ordered the Sennheiser 6XX and am looking to get a DAC/Amp setup for them. Right now I'm between getting the Bottlehead Crack + Speedball and Modi 2 Uber or the Jotunheim dac/amp combo.

However, I also have a pair of CustomArt's ei.3 CIEMs that are rated for 48ohm @ 1khz that I'd still like to listen to from the same source without having to break down the entire chain

My question is will I destroy my CIEMs by plugging it into the Jotunheim or the Crack+Speedball? So far, I've gathered that the Jotunheim will need to be set at a very very low level, and with the Crack, yes, most definitely.

Oct 25, 2017 at 11:39 AM Post #2 of 7
Hi everyone,

Just ordered the Sennheiser 6XX and am looking to get a DAC/Amp setup for them. Right now I'm between getting the Bottlehead Crack + Speedball and Modi 2 Uber or the Jotunheim dac/amp combo.

However, I also have a pair of CustomArt's ei.3 CIEMs that are rated for 48ohm @ 1khz that I'd still like to listen to from the same source without having to break down the entire chain

My question is will I destroy my CIEMs by plugging it into the Jotunheim or the Crack+Speedball? So far, I've gathered that the Jotunheim will need to be set at a very very low level, and with the Crack, yes, most definitely.

They won't pair well with the Crack due to the high output impedance, but would work with the Jot fine.

Just make sure to use low gain and turn the volume right down before plugging them in.

Oct 26, 2017 at 9:15 AM Post #4 of 7

I'd be more worried about

1) the high output impedance of the Crack

2) accidentally blowing your ear drums if you put the IEMs on then plug them into either amp without turning the volume knob to the lowest setting

than blowing the IEMs.

Oct 26, 2017 at 9:30 AM Post #5 of 7
One more question
I'd be more worried about

1) the high output impedance of the Crack

2) accidentally blowing your ear drums if you put the IEMs on then plug them into either amp without turning the volume knob to the lowest setting

than blowing the IEMs.

I'm still not exactly sure what plugging in a low impedance device into a high impedance amp will do. From what I've gathered, it may:
- Be much louder at lower volume levels
- Create ground noise/hiss
- Be much much brighter

Is that correct?

Oct 26, 2017 at 10:27 AM Post #6 of 7
One more question

I'm still not exactly sure what plugging in a low impedance device into a high impedance amp will do. From what I've gathered, it may:
- Be much much brighter

Is that correct?

Tends to be flabby bass, hiss, hum also from the tube amp.

So not a good match with IEM's.

Oct 26, 2017 at 11:40 AM Post #7 of 7
One more question
I'm still not exactly sure what plugging in a low impedance device into a high impedance amp will do.

It affects the response of the headphone due to lower damping factor. It's basically like if we're talking about a Chevy small block in the light (high sensitivity) body of a Lotus Elise, which seems like a good idea until you remember that it has really narrow 215-section tyres (impedance mismatch) vs how the Corvette keeps the torque output from that engine under control with 265 tyres.

That depends on the gain and sensitivity. Even with teh lower power output at low impedance on an OTL amp the high efficiency/sensitivity of the IEM will allow it to get really loud, if measured in the ear canal (ie unlike speakers which are measured at 1m or farther away).

This is a likely possibility if the load is high sensitivity, or otherwise, if you get forced to crank up the volume even more and get into the amp's noise zone.

- Be much much brighter

Not really brighter, more like you hear the treble more because the bass might not be there anymore.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back