Will a Gradofan like the k702?
Jul 17, 2010 at 12:23 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 78

headphonejunkie

1000+ Head-Fier
I am thinking of getting a pair of k702's and was wondering. Will I like these in comparison to my SR225's? I didn't like my HD580's because they sounded to laid back. I am hoping the k702's are better.I will love an open airy presentation and instrument separation but laid back is not really my thing. With my HD580's I kept wanting to turn up the volume.

Jul 17, 2010 at 12:38 PM Post #2 of 78
K701's are not laid back, unless your source is. However they won't be as forward as your Grados. But overall they are better phones. You will notice much better detail,soundstaging and seperation.

Jul 17, 2010 at 2:02 PM Post #3 of 78
Just an FYI, but I don't think that original SOHA of yours has got the power to drive K701's properly.  K701's demand a lot of current, not something the original monolithic buffer stage on the SOHA was able to produce.

The sound is very similar to Grados, though - just more detailed, sort of on the clinical side of things.  The spatial imaging is fantastic, but as noted above, you'll constantly wonder where the bass is unless driven with something that can push a lot of current.

Jul 17, 2010 at 2:12 PM Post #4 of 78
A good friend of mine have the RS-1 (that I like a lot) and we compare to my 702, and basically you'll get more bass and sound stage but not the same electric guitar energy that the RS-1 offer you.

Jul 17, 2010 at 8:06 PM Post #5 of 78
I would say most likely yes.. I call myself a Grado fan and i liked the AKG 701... Both RS1 and K701 sound more open than HD600 or DT880... 701 was more refined but needed to be played louder than the RS1 for emotion and impact.

Jul 17, 2010 at 8:27 PM Post #6 of 78

Quote:
A good friend of mine have the RS-1 (that I like a lot) and we compare to my 702, and basically you'll get more bass and sound stage but not the same electric guitar energy that the RS-1 offer you.

More bass? Maybe deep bass, not mid-bass, but certainly not the slam of the RS1s.

Jul 17, 2010 at 8:52 PM Post #7 of 78
I'm an AKG fan who likes Grados so yes we are out here. I use the 701 and RS-1 for full sized headphones. You will need a versatile amp to run both well as each has different needs. I'd suggest a tube or hybrid amp that lets you voice your amp to each headphone.

Jul 17, 2010 at 8:56 PM Post #8 of 78

Quote:
I'm an AKG fan who likes Grados so yes we are out here. I use the 701 and RS-1 for full sized headphones. You will need a versatile amp to run both well as each has different needs. I'd suggest a tube or hybrid amp that lets you voice your amp to each headphone.

Agreed. And these are two very complimentary headphones!

Jul 17, 2010 at 9:15 PM Post #9 of 78
Wow. Great.

Ya, I figured the soha wouldn't do much.It works good with my 225's but they don't really need much to get them sounding good anyway.
I can only afford the phones for now. What might be a good DIY tube amp? I love the tube sound and DIY is a cheaper way out since I am pretty good at building and soldering.I have the parts for a cavelli jones amp and never built it but that may be just as bad as the soha. I don't know how much power the CJ can push.

Its nice to hear that the k702 is in the direction of a grado sound though. Sennheisers don't do much for me. At least the 580 didn't.

Jul 17, 2010 at 10:19 PM Post #10 of 78

Quote:
Wow. Great.

Ya, I figured the soha wouldn't do much.It works good with my 225's but they don't really need much to get them sounding good anyway.
I can only afford the phones for now. What might be a good DIY tube amp? I love the tube sound and DIY is a cheaper way out since I am pretty good at building and soldering.I have the parts for a cavelli jones amp and never built it but that may be just as bad as the soha. I don't know how much power the CJ can push.

Its nice to hear that the k702 is in the direction of a grado sound though. Sennheisers don't do much for me. At least the 580 didn't.

They are complimentary (Grado and K70x) because they are so different. FWIW, I never got into my (now sold) K701s with tubes (eventhough I prefer tubes).

Jul 17, 2010 at 11:08 PM Post #11 of 78

Quote:

I agree. My K701 & SR60 has similarities and differences. In terms of vocal, SR60 makes you seated near the band while K701 makes you seated on the first or second row out of the stage, not too far, which you said for HD600/580. I like my SR60 sound because it will involve you more with the music, since your near the band. As if I always feel that I'm JAMMING
biggrin.gif
with the singers and band members, such a great feeling for me. That is why, the volume of SR60 is so loud compared to K701.On the other hand, K701 is not so involving, as if your just watching the singers on stage. Sometimes I feel so cold with these headphones. The only thing it amazes me is the details of the music it gives. But there are times that I felt bored. I always wanna jam with the music-with my SR60.
biggrin.gif

Based on my statements, I conclude today that K701 and SR60 are two different excellent headphones for money-they are both complementary & supplementary, plus adjacent, in terms of Geometry.
biggrin.gif

Jul 18, 2010 at 2:33 PM Post #12 of 78

Quote:
Wow. Great.

The EHHA or MOSFET-MAX would be good choices.  I'm biased toward the MOSFET-MAX, for obvious reasons - but that's the key: a very strong, high-current buffer.  The Cavalli-Jones, while a great amp, is an OTL and not optimum for many lower-impedance phones - it's more of a Sennheiser fit.  Granted, the K701's are a bit higher (62ohms) than the 32ohms of Grados, but they suck so much current they may as well be super-low impedance.

If you went solid-state, the M3 would be a great choice, too.

Jul 18, 2010 at 2:52 PM Post #13 of 78
Yes, its almost the same except for the k701/702 needs a decent amp to power them up, I have them both but i prefer the AKG for comfort whilst the Grado for pure music enjoyment w/o strings attached.

Jul 18, 2010 at 3:29 PM Post #14 of 78

Quote:
I am thinking of getting a pair of k702's and was wondering. Will I like these in comparison to my SR225's? I didn't like my HD580's because they sounded to laid back. I am hoping the k702's are better.I will love an open airy presentation and instrument separation but laid back is not really my thing. With my HD580's I kept wanting to turn up the volume.

sounds like you should definitely try a K701.  Grados and K701 both have strengths and weaknesses.  You'll likely find the mids and bass better on the grados, while the K701 will have the airy, large soundstage you want.  Give them a try, and if you miss the mids of the grados, then try a K501.  Less bass than K701, but better midrange

Jul 18, 2010 at 5:54 PM Post #15 of 78
I thought I liked Grados until I tried K701s. IMO, K701s is an improved Grado. Both are treble oriented. However, the K701 has the highest highs rolled off, much larger sound stage, and individual instruments are much more clearly delineated. However, they are far less efficient. It requires a powerful amp to bring out the bass.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back