Will a fiio K5 power HD 6XX?
Oct 9, 2021 at 1:20 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Evan McNaughton

New Head-Fier
I’m looking to buy a pair of Sennheiser x Massdrop HD 6XX and I want to find an DAC/amp to run them through, I’m looking at the fiio K5 pro but as someone with limited knowledge about powering high impedance headphones I want to make sure it’s the right thing. The 6XX are 300 ohms, and I want to make sure I give them the power they need to sound their best. They will be my first proper hifi headphones, currently, I’m using DT 770s 80 ohms and powering them with my foucurite Scarlett 2i2 which is a little bit noisy and doesn’t deliver the power required for the HD 6XX. Can someone help me figure out whether I can power the HD 6XX with the fiio K5 pro and whether this is a cost-efficient DAC/amp for what I’m looking to do?

Also I’m currently using my 2i2 for my input and output, when I get the DAC would it be best to plug the DAC into the ports on the back of my audio interface or should I plug it directly into my computer's audio output port?

EDIT: In the original version of this post (and in the title) I said the fiio k5 when I meant fiio K5 pro, sorry for any confusion. 😅

Last edited:
Oct 9, 2021 at 4:29 PM Post #2 of 5
Soundmagic HP200 headphones, with the Schiit Fulla 4 DAC/amp, will give you good sound, for less cash.
For the 300-Ohm Sennheiser/Massdrop HD6XX headphones, I would be more likely to spend more cash, for a tube headphone amplifier, to bring out the best, in the HD6XX.
Do you use the Scarlett 2i2 for audio work/production or just as a DAC/amp for headphones?

Oct 9, 2021 at 5:34 PM Post #3 of 5
Soundmagic HP200 headphones, with the Schiit Fulla 4 DAC/amp, will give you good sound, for less cash.
For the 300-Ohm Sennheiser/Massdrop HD6XX headphones, I would be more likely to spend more cash, for a tube headphone amplifier, to bring out the best, in the HD6XX.
Do you use the Scarlett 2i2 for audio work/production or just as a DAC/amp for headphones?
I would love to get a nicer amp but currently I just don’t have the money for something outside of the ~$150 USD range and I want a pair of HD 6XX for sure, I’ve been wanting a pair of Sennheiser’s for a while and they seem like a great entry. I use the 2i2 as an interface for my mic and any other misc instruments I’m using when producing. I purchased it for that reason, at the time I was using 30 something ohm headphones so I wasn’t even thinking about it as an amp, just wanted something to plug my monitors and mic into.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back