WiiM Streamers Mini and Pro
Feb 14, 2023 at 8:22 AM Post #362 of 789
Hmmmmm............ I don't think that's true. I was under the impression that the WiiM's internal DAC was only used when outputting audio to the WiiM LINE OUT jacks (or inputting from an external device into the Line Inputs of the WiiM), and while I do have the volume on my WiiM Pro set to FIXED, I do use the EQ set to ON, and I'm getting bit perfect digital input into my Topping D30Pro DAC connected via digital coax, but please do correct me if I'm wrong.
The way I understand it is that if you use eq in the digital domain, the resultant digital output will by definition no longer be "bit perfect" because you have manipulated those bits to achieve the resultant change in frequency response you sought. That does not mean, however, that you have decreased the resolution. I'm not set to die on that hill tho I could be totally wrong. I do think it's cool to have digital eq on such an inexpensive device! WIIM streamers FTW!😎

Feb 14, 2023 at 6:54 PM Post #363 of 789
The way I understand it is that if you use eq in the digital domain, the resultant digital output will by definition no longer be "bit perfect" because you have manipulated those bits to achieve the resultant change in frequency response you sought. That does not mean, however, that you have decreased the resolution. I'm not set to die on that hill tho I could be totally wrong. I do think it's cool to have digital eq on such an inexpensive device! WIIM streamers FTW!😎
Yes, thank you. I realize now that I was misunderstanding the definition of bit perfect.

Last edited:
Feb 15, 2023 at 12:47 PM Post #364 of 789
Anyone aware of any media server which works fine with Wiim and streams FLAC losslesly, I tried Plex which seems to transcode FLAC's so cant use it, also tried Kodi but its very unstable and looses connection every few minutes.

Feb 15, 2023 at 1:10 PM Post #365 of 789
Si gracias. Ahora me doy cuenta de que estaba malinterpretando la definición de bit perfecto.
Yo uso el servidor Foobar2000 y funciona bien para mí.

Feb 15, 2023 at 2:03 PM Post #366 of 789
Anyone aware of any media server which works fine with Wiim and streams FLAC losslesly, I tried Plex which seems to transcode FLAC's so cant use it, also tried Kodi but its very unstable and looses connection every few minutes.
You might get more/better suggestions from the WiiM Community forum, where the topic has come up a few times, but IIRC LMS will work (though may not support gapless playback?). And should be even better when WiiM adds squeezelite functions to the Pro, which is on their roadmap.

Last edited:
Feb 15, 2023 at 3:55 PM Post #367 of 789
You might get more/better suggestions from the WiiM Community forum, where the topic has come up a few times, but IIRC LMS will work (though may not support gapless playback?). And should be even better when WiiM adds squeezelite functions to the Pro, which is on their roadmap.
If WiiM claims to support gapless playback via DLNA (which, I believe they do, provided you use their app), then enabling the UPnP server plugin on LMS (NOT the UPnP Bridge plugin, which serves a different purpose) should be gapless, no?

As to Plex (which I personally don't like for music) isn't there a setting where you can bypass transcoding for audio files all together? I'm pretty sure Universal Media Server has a similar setting.

Feb 20, 2023 at 10:11 AM Post #371 of 789
Just got mine.
From the get-go, slightly better than Chromecast Audio, especially if you're into Tidal and/or Qobuz.

The built-in Burr Brown PCM-5191 DAC sucks though.
ATM, my only DAC with optical in is ifi xDSD which uses an older Burr Brown DSD-1793.
But still sounds cleaner and more detailed.

Anyone using WIIM PRO against SMSL M500MK2/3 or Topping DX5?
Or can anyone suggest a better DAC/HPA to pair with it, at similar price range?

One minor gripe is that my XDSD indicator says Wiim PRO is passing PCM Signal, instead of MQA.
(MQA: ON, MQA External DAC: MQA, Fixed Volume: On, Mono Audio: Off, EQ: Off, SPDIF 24/192)

Mar 3, 2023 at 5:09 PM Post #372 of 789
Last edited:
Mar 3, 2023 at 11:16 PM Post #373 of 789
Since my Wiim Mini updated yesterday it will no longer play 24/192 audio over optical to either of the DACs I have with me while I am currently travelling. Is anyone else having this problem and does anyone have any suggestions for fixing it? I have already tried unplugging and reconnecting the Wiim and DACs and have tried both glass and polymer based optical cables, both of which had no problem passing 24/192 until now. Thanks in advance.

Mar 4, 2023 at 7:17 AM Post #374 of 789
Since my Wiim Mini updated yesterday it will no longer play 24/192 audio over optical to either of the DACs I have with me while I am currently travelling. Is anyone else having this problem and does anyone have any suggestions for fixing it? I have already tried unplugging and reconnecting the Wiim and DACs and have tried both glass and polymer based optical cables, both of which had no problem passing 24/192 until now. Thanks in advance.
Hm,

Last release notes doesn't mention anything about that. Could you please do a screenshot of your settings?

Cheers

Last edited:
Mar 4, 2023 at 7:33 AM Post #375 of 789
Check the audio output resolution hasn’t defaulted to 16/44.1 in the Wiim app

Users who are viewing this thread

Back