WiiM Streamers Mini and Pro
Feb 12, 2023 at 12:06 PM Post #347 of 804
It's a bit confusing because in the manual it says to achieve bit perfect output, you need to use the digital output and the "fixed line-out level". Now, what the heck do they mean by fixed line-out level? I don't think it's the same as fixed volume level, but who knows? It does, however, make sense that the only reason for the internal DAC is for either outputting or inputting analog signals to or from the unit.

To be honest, I'm not to hung up on the semantics, because it sounds fantastic, or maybe the proper phrase would be, that it passes digital audio perfectly without imparting any distortions or artifacts : )
I think that is what they mean - fixed volume when they say "fixed line-level".

Feb 12, 2023 at 4:01 PM Post #348 of 804
Hmmmmm............ I don't think that's true. I was under the impression that the WiiM's internal DAC was only used when outputting audio to the WiiM LINE OUT jacks (or inputting from an external device into the Line Inputs of the WiiM), and while I do have the volume on my WiiM Pro set to FIXED, I do use the EQ set to ON, and I'm getting bit perfect digital input into my Topping D30Pro DAC connected via digital coax, but please do correct me if I'm wrong.

Guess I need to look into it more. I could me wrong concerning it being bit perfect well using the EQ. I thought I read that both volume and EQ effected the bit perfect output.

I also thought If you are EQ'ing, you are modifying the streaming going into the DAC, therefore, it's not bit-perfect?

Feb 12, 2023 at 4:16 PM Post #349 of 804
Guess I need to look into it more. I could me wrong concerning it being bit perfect well using the EQ. I thought I read that both volume and EQ effected the bit perfect output.

I also thought If you are EQ'ing, you are modifying the streaming going into the DAC, therefore, it's not bit-perfect?
EQ definitely changes the data (bits).

Feb 12, 2023 at 5:01 PM Post #351 of 804
Thanks @tesarpa and @brantome for chiming in on EQ and bit perfect, I was pretty confident it did but since a couple people asked, it got me questioning myself so tossed out the question.

Feb 12, 2023 at 5:24 PM Post #352 of 804
Thanks @tesarpa and @brantome for chiming in on EQ and bit perfect, I was pretty confident it did but since a couple people asked, it got me questioning myself so tossed out the question.
Well, you've got me wondering now..... I think it should be easy enough to get a definitive answer directly from the folks at WiiM.

Feb 12, 2023 at 6:16 PM Post #354 of 804
It does in fact loose it’s bit perfect. You could put an analog eq like Bellari eq 570 between the dac and amp to suit your needs.
Maybe I'm simply confusing terminology here. Of course, when you use the EQ, your changing the sound, so I guess the bits going out are different from the bits coming into the WiiM, but, it doesn't appear to be changing the bit depth or resolution, so if it comes in as a 24/192 and goes through the EQ, then it will still go out as a 24/192 file, just with the sound changed (which is why we use the EQ, to change the sound).

I had originally been thinking that wanting bit perfect meant getting files to go through the WiiM without changing the bit depth and resolution, but if it means with no change to the sound at all, them I'm fine with it not being bit perfect, because I really like how the WiiM EQ helps me get the sound to where I need it, bit perfect or not, as long I'm still getting the same bit depth and resolution as the original file.

In any case, I've submitted the question to the folks at WiiM and will report back what they have to say.

Feb 12, 2023 at 6:18 PM Post #355 of 804
Well, you've got me wondering now..... I think it should be easy enough to get a definitive answer directly from the folks at WiiM.
I’m sure Wiim have said so on several occasions on other forums like their own community forum and audiosciencereview. Here are a couple of links from their faq that touch on such https://faq-mini.wiimhome.com/support/solutions/articles/72000594355-which-eq-setting-should-i-use- and https://faq-mini.wiimhome.com/support/solutions/articles/72000593467-setting-volume-controls

Feb 12, 2023 at 6:30 PM Post #356 of 804
I’m sure Wiim have said so on several occasions on other forums like their own community forum and audiosciencereview. Here are a couple of links from their faq that touch on such https://faq-mini.wiimhome.com/support/solutions/articles/72000594355-which-eq-setting-should-i-use- and https://faq-mini.wiimhome.com/support/solutions/articles/72000593467-setting-volume-controls
Funny, I spent quite a while over on their forum and FAQ area, but didn't see that one. Yes, that was helpful, thanks : )

Feb 12, 2023 at 7:07 PM Post #357 of 804
Maybe I'm simply confusing terminology here. Of course, when you use the EQ, your changing the sound, so I guess the bits going out are different from the bits coming into the WiiM, but, it doesn't appear to be changing the bit depth or resolution, so if it comes in as a 24/192 and goes through the EQ, then it will still go out as a 24/192 file, just with the sound changed (which is why we use the EQ, to change the sound).

I had originally been thinking that wanting bit perfect meant getting files to go through the WiiM without changing the bit depth and resolution, but if it means with no change to the sound at all, them I'm fine with it not being bit perfect, because I really like how the WiiM EQ helps me get the sound to where I need it, bit perfect or not, as long I'm still getting the same bit depth and resolution as the original file.

In any case, I've submitted the question to the folks at WiiM and will report back what they have to say.
Indeed, no matter what other people say as long you’re happy on what you’re hearing it’s all matters.

Feb 12, 2023 at 9:38 PM Post #358 of 804
Indeed, no matter what other people say as long you’re happy on what you’re hearing it’s all matters.
Yes, indeed, but at the same time, I'm sincerely interested in learning about what's going on inside the WiiM, and more importantly, I certainly don't want to pass along misinformation to others.

So, now I understand why some folks prefer the absolutely no EQ path, wanting as pure a signal (bit perfect) as possible. I get that. It's a choice of no EQ with bit perfect reproduction, or have EQ with the possibility of some added artifacts (whether audible or not). Very interesting stuff. In any case, it is nice to know that with the right settings, the WiiM is capable of passing bit perfect audio, then it's simply up to the user to decide which option works best for them. Thanks everybody for a very educational afternoon.

Last edited:
Feb 12, 2023 at 10:04 PM Post #359 of 804
Yes, indeed, but at the same time, I'm sincerely interested in learning about what's going on inside the WiiM, and more importantly, I certainly don't want to pass along misinformation to others.

So, now I understand why some folks prefer the absolutely no EQ path, wanting as pure a signal (bit perfect) as possible. I get that. It's a choice of no EQ with bit perfect reproduction, or have EQ with the possibility of some added artifacts (whether audible or not). Very interesting stuff. In any case, it is nice to know that with the right settings, the WiiM is capable of passing bit perfect audio, then it's simply up to the user to decide which option works best for them. Thanks everybody for a very educational afternoon.
There are two wiim, mini and pro both used same based code but mainly the difference are features. Pro has coax, spdif, Ethernet and more importantly it has more power hardware from mini dual core to quad core from pro to 128 memory to 512 memory from pro. It will have a long life span on adding features than mini.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back