WiiM Streamers Mini and Pro
Mar 11, 2023 at 1:58 PM Post #391 of 804
Bizarrely I can search for some artists, and not others. For example I searched for The Kinks, and it found them, and also First Aid Kit. Wouldn’t find Bob Dylan or The Beatles, who aren’t exactly obscure artists. Very strange.

Mar 11, 2023 at 2:19 PM Post #392 of 804
Bizarrely I can search for some artists, and not others. For example I searched for The Kinks, and it found them, and also First Aid Kit. Wouldn’t find Bob Dylan or The Beatles, who aren’t exactly obscure artists. Very strange.

LOL 😂 not to laugh at your problems, but that's just truly weird. Maybe your Wiim just has very specific tastes that don't include a fondness for Dylan or The Beatles. I mean, you could do worse than getting reacquainted with The Kinks. 🤷‍♂️🤦‍♂️

Mar 11, 2023 at 6:20 PM Post #394 of 804
Mar 11, 2023 at 8:30 PM Post #395 of 804

After seeing the measurements that ASR did on the Mini before the Pro was even out, this performance is essentially exactly what I expected. The DAC/ADC functions are clearly there only for convinience and marketing to the average consumer crowd where their mediocre performance will go largely unnoticed. For the audiophile/tech crowd, the Mini and Pro seem to mostly be designed to work as digital bridges to add functionality to and already established signal chain where they'll be used to feed a DAC already owned and in use. I think Wiim as a company is probably astute enough to know that there are very few people in the later crowd likely to entrust the DAC duties for their signal chains to these devices.

Overall, I think it was pretty smart of them to include features that would make these units useful to a wide range of users while making sure they got the implementation of the digital side done very well so it would stand up to the most likely use scenarios for the more specialized market. When you look at it, the feature set they've managed to pack into these two products is pretty impressive.

Mar 11, 2023 at 8:39 PM Post #396 of 804
After seeing the measurements that ASR did on the Mini before the Pro was even out, this performance is essentially exactly what I expected. The DAC/ADC functions are clearly there only for convinience and marketing to the average consumer crowd where their mediocre performance will go largely unnoticed. For the audiophile/tech crowd, the Mini and Pro seem to mostly be designed to work as digital bridges to add functionality to and already established signal chain where they'll be used to feed a DAC already owned and in use. I think Wiim as a company is probably astute enough to know that there are very few people in the later crowd likely to entrust the DAC duties for their signal chains to these devices.

Overall, I think it was pretty smart of them to include features that would make these units useful to a wide range of users while making sure they got the implementation of the digital side done very well so it would stand up to the most likely use scenarios for the more specialized market. When you look at it, the feature set they've managed to pack into these two products is pretty impressive.
Exactly! A very good digital streamer to connect to a dac.

Mar 12, 2023 at 3:51 AM Post #397 of 804
So depending on the hole you use, you are either a seasoned audiophile or an average consumer :scream:

Life is simple :D

Mar 12, 2023 at 4:08 AM Post #398 of 804
So depending on the hole you use, you are either a seasoned audiophile or an average consumer :scream:

Life is simple :D

Precisely. 🧐😉

Mar 12, 2023 at 1:08 PM Post #399 of 804

The team at Wiim have really nailed it - clear understanding of what the target market needs, focus on good design (hardware + software), regular updates based on consumer feedback, all at a price level that makes the device almost inevitable.

Mar 12, 2023 at 4:23 PM Post #400 of 804
LOL 😂 not to laugh at your problems, but that's just truly weird. Maybe your Wiim just has very specific tastes that don't include a fondness for Dylan or The Beatles. I mean, you could do worse than getting reacquainted with The Kinks. 🤷‍♂️🤦‍♂️
I have fantastic taste in music, as I keep telling my wife!😂

The Kinks were my first rock concert, back in 1984. A favourite band still.

Mar 12, 2023 at 4:30 PM Post #401 of 804
I have fantastic taste in music, as I keep telling my wife!😂

The Kinks were my first rock concert, back in 1984. A favourite band still.

Hell yeah! I'm jealous that you got to see The Kinks live. I have a quilt that my sister made me using all the patches off of some of my old punk jackets and vests and it has three separate Kinks patches on it. I think I'm gonna have to put The Kinks uo next in my queue...😎

Mar 12, 2023 at 4:57 PM Post #402 of 804
Hell yeah! I'm jealous that you got to see The Kinks live. I have a quilt that my sister made me using all the patches off of some of my old punk jackets and vests and it has three separate Kinks patches on it. I think I'm gonna have to put The Kinks uo next in my queue...😎
I won tickets in a competition to see them in Manchester, and they were fantastic. Saw them again the next year, and they were not quite as good. Saw Ray Davies in Liverpool in the 2000s and he was excellent, both musically and with his tales.

Mar 15, 2023 at 2:47 AM Post #404 of 804
If I use Wiim Pro optical/coax to DAC/Amp without MQA support how does unfold work? would it work?

I think it performs the first unfold, because if I connect my Gryphon the display shows OFS (pink led), exactly like using the Tidal app (which performs the first unfold) via USB.

Conversely, if set with external dac decoder+render, the display shows MQA (blue or green led).

Mar 15, 2023 at 3:06 AM Post #405 of 804
I think it performs the first unfold, because if I connect my Gryphon the display shows OFS (pink led), exactly like using the Tidal app (which performs the first unfold) via USB.

Conversely, if set with external dac decoder+render, the display shows MQA (blue or green led).
Yes it does the first unfold to 88 or 96kHz. Mot sure if it’s still only with Tidal Connect though

Users who are viewing this thread

Back