Why would anyone want just one headphone?
May 23, 2013 at 8:32 PM Post #31 of 40
I've had multiple headphones, because I thought that they dealt better with particular types of music before.   Generally though, this means I'm not happy with any of them in some aspect.  Not to mention changing headphones because I don't like the presentation of one on a particular genre is a real pain as I like to switch up what I'm listening to.   Then there's the fun of having to store different headphones, and they don't all like the same amps...  it just gets very expensive and annoying.

With my current setup, I don't ever find myself thinking that something sounds "wrong".  I never wonder what happened to the bass in that piece, or think the tonality of something isn't right.  I know I'm not at the pinnacle of technical advancements with my current rig, but it does nothing wrong.  It might be fun (it -is- fun) to listen to something more bass heavy for a bit, but it's overall not very satisfying and not something I can ever stand doing for long, so I definitely no longer value it high enough to be worth a particular portion of money I could spend on audio gear.

May 23, 2013 at 9:20 PM Post #32 of 40
Quote:

In keeping with my original post, while the GS1000s are certainly not the most refined phones, they have a special excitement and openness and extreme level of comfort that gets them lots of head time.
They have a great spacious sound and seem to embody what Grado is all about and seem like a much improved version of the RS1s I have had for 10 years.

That's something I've been wondering about since I bought my GS1ks last Fall...since I've not really spent time with the RS-1s, I've been curious if they are a departure from the GS1ks or if the GS1ks are "more of a good thing" relative to the RS-1s. Do the RSs over anything more than what the GS1ks offer? Or if you own the GS would there not be much point in picking up a pair of RS1s, as well? 

May 23, 2013 at 10:26 PM Post #33 of 40
I'm a fan of having multiple headphones.  Partly, due to some of the reasons stated early regarding different headphones for different situations. 

For me though, there is also a curiosity of "is there better than what I have?"  Sound quality and comfort are my most important criteria and I wonder how much better I can get in those two categories.  I want to know what the "best" sound out there is (at least the best sound that I can reasonably possibly own). 

Also, what's comfortable for one person may be quite the opposite for another.  The only way to find out what works for you is to try them out.  I was blown away by the difference in comfort going from Koss Porta-Pros to Sennheiser HD-650.  I thought the HD650 were the most comfortable headphones I'd ever tried.  Then, I discovered that I, personally, find the HE-400/HE-500 more comfortable (which was contrary to a lot of what I read on line) than the HD-650.  I was very surprised to discover this and it has fueled my curiosity for what else is out there and how will I respond to it? 

It's just fun.  :)

May 23, 2013 at 11:18 PM Post #34 of 40
Quote:

That's something I've been wondering about since I bought my GS1ks last Fall...since I've not really spent time with the RS-1s, I've been curious if they are a departure from the GS1ks or if the GS1ks are "more of a good thing" relative to the RS-1s. Do the RSs over anything more than what the GS1ks offer? Or if you own the GS would there not be much point in picking up a pair of RS1s, as well? 

In my opinion, the midrange proximity is THE main difference between the RS1i and the GS1000i, personally, i prefer the GS1000i's sound singnature, i find it has better bass extension, a wider, deeper soundstage, and the overall presentation seems to breath better, if that makes any sense..

I do understand though why the RS1i are so popular, especially with Jazz and Blues lovers, and on top of that, they're feather light, not that the GS1000i though.

May 23, 2013 at 11:40 PM Post #35 of 40
Quote:
I am not here to argue with you or defend my words. I just made a light-hearted comment after reading a post that I interpreted as being light-heartedly ageist. Perhaps if I put a tongue-sticking-out-smilie afterward like you did, it could be viewed as such.
tongue.gif

(No attitude here, or disrespect intended - this is just the way that I communicate. I will however apologize if I offended you, as I do not wish to get caught up in an online spat)

Sorry, but I obviously misread your tone. This just shows the value of smilies, as we really are flying blind in interpreting people's intentions without them. Sorry again. Apparently my otherwise fairly keen sense of humour failed me on this occasion.

May 24, 2013 at 12:28 AM Post #37 of 40
Quote:

In my opinion, the midrange proximity is THE main difference between the RS1i and the GS1000i, personally, i prefer the GS1000i's sound singnature, i find it has better bass extension, a wider, deeper soundstage, and the overall presentation seems to breath better, if that makes any sense..

I do understand though why the RS1i are so popular, especially with Jazz and Blues lovers, and on top of that, they're feather light, not that the GS1000i though.

Okay, that's what I was hoping to hear, actually. One day I want to pull the trigger on a pair of those beautiful PS1ks, but for the time being I really love the Grado group I have. I love the way the PS500s and GS1ks give me two variations of the Grado sound. 

May 24, 2013 at 12:51 AM Post #38 of 40
I don't want different headphones that do only certain things well. I have a pair for home, a pair for commuting, and IEM's for yard work and other random things. I chose them because of how they sound relative to what I do with them, not just to have different sounding headphones. My home ones, (HE-500) are the most balanced headphones I've listened to, TO MY EARS, so they work perfect for me. Why would I want a pair that is great in the highs (701's) but seriously lack bass or ones that emphasize bass but lack highs or mids? 

May 24, 2013 at 12:58 AM Post #39 of 40
I have a few very good headphones, and I could be quite happy with just one of them for everything. But I like variety so I roll headphones. Not for any particular musical genre but for a change of pace.

Jun 2, 2013 at 2:37 PM Post #40 of 40
Yup,  I like change of pace, variety.  Sometimes I have to use a closed pair, depending on what's happening in the house.  Or late night in the bed need closed.  While I much more prefer open headphones.  So yeah - I must have a variety.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back