Why the Sennheiser HD598s are considered the best headphones in the world. Sennheiser HD598 review.
Jun 5, 2011 at 12:17 AM Post #256 of 355

Quote:
I heard some good things abt the Koss Pro 100 DJ with female vocals. How do you compare the Koss pro 100DJ against the Senn HD 598 as far as mid-range.

The DJ100 is what I prefer for female vocals, mostly Jpop. The HD-598 is very similar in this area, but vocals/mids on the DJ100 are definitely more forward sounding to me. Not so forward that it causes fatigue and they're less forward than those of the ATH-AD2000. The DJ100 is like a front row experience to me that's not very fatiguing. It's hard to just talk about the mids, but what I can say is that the DJ100 always felt more detailed than the HD-598 and sometimes the HD-598 felt a little less clear (at times). I don't know why. Sometimes it just felt like the HD-598 was trying to be non-fatiguing and forgiving of source files. The DJ100 was almost more picky IMO about source files. I should point out that the HD-598's sound clarity improved by a ton when I upgraded it's cable to Canare/Mogami. Now I'd say the HD-598 is definitely more clear now. With the stock HD-598 cable, the HD-600 was slightly less grainy, now this is probably not the case at all! I actually sold my HD-650 because of how amazing the HD-598 is when recabled! BTW the signature of the HD-598 is a LOT more smooth compared to the DJ100. Maybe the DJ100 kind of reminds me of a mix between an AKG headphone and a Sennheiser. Weird huh? It also has many similarities to the Sextett LP, but is much more clear. I've heard people say it sounds like an HD-650, but I don't think so. I'd take the DJ100 over the HD-650 any day...there I said it
normal_smile%20.gif

For those that love Jpop or any asian Pop music and want a closed headphone, the DJ100 is a must have. It's even quite good for gaming when a closed headphone is required. For gaming it does have a bit too much bass, but there is just so much detail to my ears.
It has more than the MDR-V6 (no surprise there) and holds up very well compared to the detail monster the KRK KNS-8400.

In an old thread I did a review of 4-5 different headphones and I believe the DJ100 came out above the HD-598 when it came to detail, it's mids and imaging, but lost out in sound clarity compared to the KRK KNS-8400.

Jun 5, 2011 at 3:38 AM Post #257 of 355
HI there,

No I used to use Tannoy Sensys DC1 at home with a Rega Apollo and Rotel Pre Power combo. But I left my home country (NZ) several years ago and I now have a career which takes me to different countries for only 24 months at a time. So it is hard to have a large audio collection- hence I took the headphone plunge, the speakers etc are stored :)

The Naim / Rega system I referred to in my post was in a dealer's showroom. I am returning home for a short holiday and will bring back my Rega Apollo. I am hoping that the Rega+HD598 + soon to be purchased headphone AMP will provide some audio joy:)  Already I am becoming dissatisfied with the Macbook source. The bug has bitten me yet again!!

Jun 5, 2011 at 11:34 AM Post #259 of 355

Quote:
Between the SRH940 and the HD598 which are superior?

Depends on in which way? Overall? I haven't heard the SRH-940 yet, but I should be able to get one soon. I imagine they both sound completely different, so it's really hard to compare them, especially since the 940 is a studio monitor.

If the SRH-940 is good for female vocals (Jpop) then maybe it will dethrone my DJ100 and HD-598 as my favorites. Of course the HD-598 is always going to be a keeper since it's open and has a large soundstage.

I doubt anyone has heard both headphones yet. The 940 is too new.

Jun 8, 2011 at 2:08 AM Post #261 of 355
OK, I think I need to make this clear. It seems that some people are getting a grainy sound from their HD598s. I, however, do not find that much grain and only on 2 or 3 songs which made it really obvious. I have to make sure to state again that I mostly used the HD598 out of my Anedio D1 which is probably overkill for this headphone, but nonetheless, I did not get much grain from using it with my Anedio. I probably should have tested it more with my Iphone. The main difference that I remember with the Iphone is that soundstage collapsed which may result in further congestion. I wasn't paying attention to details at the time though.

Jun 9, 2011 at 12:23 PM Post #262 of 355
So...i got my HD 598s today and I just wanted to say I havent been this impressed in a very long time.  Stunning set, why the hell I didn't get these the day they were released it beyond me, I feel dumb for missing out on them for the past year or so.  

Jun 9, 2011 at 12:42 PM Post #263 of 355
Quote:
OK, I think I need to make this clear. It seems that some people are getting a grainy sound from their HD598s. I, however, do not find that much grain and only on 2 or 3 songs which made it really obvious. I have to make sure to state again that I mostly used the HD598 out of my Anedio D1 which is probably overkill for this headphone, but nonetheless, I did not get much grain from using it with my Anedio. I probably should have tested it more with my Iphone. The main difference that I remember with the Iphone is that soundstage collapsed which may result in further congestion. I wasn't paying attention to details at the time though.

I'd say its probably the amp causing the grain.  The amp in your D1 is probably quite good, better than most would give it credit for since lots of people here underestimate good opamps and buffer chips since they don't look very impressive compared to rows of heatsinked MOSFETs or giant glowing power tubes.  /sidetrack.

If you check out the impedance and (electrical) phase measurements of the 598 it shows some of the craziest curves I've seen on a dynamic 'phone which would indicate it's likely quite hard to drive properly.  Its way steeper than the normally considered "hard-to-drive" HD650 and my HD650's chief sin on weaker amps is graininess.  I think once again, people are underestimating it.  Cheap =/= "easy to drive"

I don't have a pair of 598s to test, but I think this is a reasonable inference from the measurements.

Jun 9, 2011 at 12:43 PM Post #264 of 355
Congratulations!!!

Now go and rediscover all your music :wink:

You fall in love with so many of your songs again, it's just awesome....

Jun 9, 2011 at 8:34 PM Post #265 of 355
As for the grainy sound...I never really experienced this much unless I'm trying really hard to hear it. When you switch between the 598 and HD-600, it's super easy to tell the difference. The HD-600 is much less grainy. Same with the HD-650 vs the HD-600, but the difference is even smaller.

This may be hard to believe but when I upgraded the stock cable the sound was much less grainy and a heck of a lot more clear. Nothing minor at all and generally (cheap) cable upgrades are just minor upgrades, but not with the HD-598. If you all could hear a recabled HD-598 at a meet or something you'd be shocked with the difference. The stock cable really holds the 598 back a bit.

It's just too bad it's such a pain to recable them. You pretty much lose any ability to go back to stock cables if you do it.

FYI once you upgrade the HD-598's cable, It's safe to say the 598 is probably going to be even more clear and detailed than the HD-600. I wish I was joking.
I can't say it enough, but the recabled HD-598 is why I sold my HD-650!

Of course now I'm found my open modded DJ100 is better than the HD-598. Tempted to do a post on this, but I think only about 4 or 5 people on here have the DJ100 and it requires a discontinued headphone to make it open.
The soundstage of the open DJ100 is actually better than that of the HD-598, but not as large. With mods it has some of the best bass I've heard yet for an open headphone.

BTW I've tried the HD-598 with 4 desktop amps and the grainy sound doesn't go away. To me it's nearly a non-issue and doesn't take away from anything. I think it's mostly due to the stock cable. Even $1/foot Mogami is an upgrade! It needs a neutral wire or you'll screw up the signature. Trust me on this, I've heard it with my own ears!

Jun 9, 2011 at 8:42 PM Post #266 of 355
Ive been trying to find a low profile 2.5mm to 3.5mm cable with absolutely no success what so ever.  Something that will actually fit into the socket on the 598...lol, all the plug heads are too fat to get through it

Jun 9, 2011 at 9:03 PM Post #267 of 355

You could probably make one for a few dollars, but soldering a 2.55mm plug would be a major pain. 1/8" plugs are bad enough.
I don't think standard 2.5mm plugs will even fit in the HD-598 or will they? I think the 598 has a special notch in the plug to lock it in place.
I wonder if the KRK headphone cables work? Those have a smaller plug with the notch. Not sure if it'll fit. I'd test it but I ripped the insides out of my 598.
Quote:
Ive been trying to find a low profile 2.5mm to 3.5mm cable with absolutely no success what so ever.  Something that will actually fit into the socket on the 598...lol, all the plug heads are too fat to get through it

Jun 9, 2011 at 9:08 PM Post #268 of 355

Quote:

http://www.americanmusical.com/Item--i-KRK-CBLK000X-LIST

That MIGHT work. I'm not sure. I wonder if that'd offer some improvement of the sound with the internal stock wires still in place? Maybe!
It seems many of the KRK replacement parts are always so hard to get. Been waiting for some KRK memory foam pads for 2 weeks
frown.gif

Kicker HP541 also has a 2.5mm to 3.5mm cable I believe. I don't know if the cable is available separately though.

Jun 9, 2011 at 9:36 PM Post #269 of 355
I definitely can't solder something that small, its damned tiny.  The only 2.5mm ends I am aware of that fit that entry way are from cell phone earbuds or other small devices.  They are generally awful in quality and would ruin the sound quality.  I have never seen a 2.5mm ADAPTER that was small enough to fit anything like that.  

Edit:

This might work, I will have to pick this up and give it a try. It looks very low profile
http://cgi.ebay.com/MD-Universal-2-5mm-Male-3-5mm-Female-Headset-Adapter-/390315689169?pt=PDA_Accessories&hash=item5ae0a0c4d1#ht_739wt_698

Jun 13, 2011 at 12:19 AM Post #270 of 355
guys..i've been having these cans for awhile and i love it.. the only minor problems for me is that these leak a lot.. when i'm listening with them, my girlfriend beside me can easily sing along the lyrics that i'm listening to..is this normal or do I listen too loud?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back