Why the Sennheiser HD598s are considered the best headphones in the world. Sennheiser HD598 review.
May 30, 2011 at 5:42 PM Post #241 of 355

Quote:
You can start a headphone museum! You bring them to meets?

Sorry, I didn't answer this before.  I was on vacation for 2 weeks and didn't check head-fi that much.

I've brought up to 3 boxes of headphones to meets.  I usually have an overflowing table.   The real headphone museum owner is WertherDVX, although he hasn't posted for 3 or so years and it doesn't look like he's updated his profile in that long.  http://www.head-fi.org/user/wertherdvx

Back when you could see who you were bidding against on eBay, he was infamous for outbidding everyone for something rare.  Once you saw you were bidding against him, you just stopped bidding.  I lost many an auction to him.

May 31, 2011 at 8:49 AM Post #243 of 355
Quote:
Ok 598 are in stock again on Amazon.it.
Today i'm going to buy them.
Is burn in required? What should i do as soon as they arrive?

Many thanks.

There quite a few ways one could go about burning-in headphones, here are a few:

1. leave music playing through the headphones for several hours straight at a volume slightly higher than normal listening level

2. constantly loop pink and white noise music files for several hours(for info on what white/pink noise is you can go here)

3. or you can just use your headphones and burn-in will take place over time

General estimates on total headphone burn-in time are anywhere from 100 to over 400 hours.  Burn-in is not an exact science and there are quite a few that don't believe in it as there is far more anecdotal evidence than actual mesurements, but it is totaliy up to how you proceed with your headphones.  Good luck and happy listening!
smily_headphones1.gif

May 31, 2011 at 12:48 PM Post #244 of 355
Folks, I need amp and dac for the hd598- most of the time they sound great (especially for gaming) but sometimes when I hear music with big orchestra the sound is quite muffled, lacks details and I have hard time feeling the bass.

May 31, 2011 at 7:01 PM Post #245 of 355
For the task of digital to analog conversion, I suggest the HRT Music Streamer II for a nice spacious sound signature with it connected to Fiio's E9.  That combination should make for some impressive orchestral listening sessions.

Jun 1, 2011 at 6:05 PM Post #247 of 355

Quote:
Ok 598 are in stock again on Amazon.it.
Today i'm going to buy them.
Is burn in required? What should i do as soon as they arrive?

Many thanks.

I took the plunge and got the 598 two days ago after perusing this thread for a while. I just plugged 'em in to my E7/E9 and man I love these phones! The soundstage is indeed speaker-like and immense. My M50's needed about 15 hours before really waking up, but these sound amazing already and I've got maybe 3 hours on them! I was looking for an open phone to listen to my jazz collection - but these seem to get everything right regardless of genre. I find the bass to be just fine btw, not as deep as the M50 but it's there and much more defined. Right now I'm listening to The Blind Boys - amazing. Have fun! 

Jun 1, 2011 at 11:02 PM Post #248 of 355
Been using my 598 a LOT lately over my K601. The K601 doesn't give me that front row like experience, but almost close to that. My preference of headphone to listen to all comes down to what music I'm listening to at the time. My poor K702 still is on my head about only 10% of the time. I usually take it off because it just doesn't sound as natural as my K601. I guess i'll need to burn it in more..I'm only at about hour 80.

Well, I almost nearly killed my HD-598 today! Oops! I was sitting here doing some work and getting bored. I remembered I had a spare 1/8" plug I could use and had some Belden Starquad wire left. Previously I did some testing with interconnect cables and that's the only wire where I felt I could tell the difference. In fact I was quite positive of it. I think it's the same stuff that Blue Jeans Cable uses for their mini-to-mini interconnects.

As I was soldering the wire onto the ultra tiny soldering spot of the 598 I must have slipped or something and a piece of the board turned all white! Uh Oh. I was sure I killed my headphone. It's as Sennheiser wanted to say to me "Don't do it!" when soldering a new wire to the driver. Those voice coil wires are exposed and right next to the soldering area. Nice!

Well I put everything back together and everything still worked. The only negative is that this Belden Starquad is thicker and the cable is now somewhat like a snake. I still need to open everything back up and hot glue the wires in place.

I think it's safe to say I prefer it to Mogami, but at this point I'm still trying to figure out the differences, if any. For some reason the soundstage seems bigger. Sound seems more clear than the Mogami. I think the Mogami added a tad too much bass, but maybe not.

No more HD-598 cables for me, I figure next time I'll probably kill it for real and I don't want that.

BTW this may seem hard to believe, but it's easiest to tell the differences between cables in games. Recorded rain is also good for some things like testing soundstage. On my K702 I feel like I'm actually stuck outside in the rain and surrounded by it.

EDIT:

Somehow this new cable appears to be making my HD-598 a little more aggressive. It's now not quite as smooth and non-fatiguing as before. I'm hoping my ears were just tired to begin with. I must be crazy, because how on earth am I getting the impression of better imaging and a more accurate (and larger) soundstage? How's that possible for a new cable? I've experienced this more than once before. I'll give me ears a rest and see how it goes tomorrow. My guess is that it makes the upper mids appear to be slightly more forward. Too forward of upper mids and my ears throw a fit, but luckily this is rare. I doubt just a new wire could do this, so I'm going to hope it's just my tired ears. Probably is.

BTW it's amazing how easy it is now (after upgrading to ANY new wire) to pick up recording hiss and pick out the garbage tracks. On my HD-650 even with a good cable it was still fairly difficult at times.
No way ever you could any longer call the HD-598 grainy or not clear sounding. This is the whole reason I sold my HD-650. Still not as good as picking up all those subtle details in a recording as my KRK KNS-6400, but I just want to enjoy to my music and not analyze it.

Also...Cyril Morin soundtracks on the HD-598 are quite impressive. I need to buy the "Samsara" soundtrack.

Haha, this is amazing. There's this reference track I use where there is 5 metallic sounds that are very faint on the left. Only on a few headphones can I count the number of sounds. On most "decent" headphones it's only 3 of them that's heard. Even on the K702 or K601 I can only hear 3..or 4 if I'm lucky. On the KRK I can hear all of them. On the HD-598 with Mogami I could only hear maybe 3 or 4 also, but now with this Belden I can hear at least 5 as clear as day. It generally sounds like garbage on Sennheiser headphones and I don't know why. It sounds best on bass light or thinner sounding headphones and I don't know why. A headphone with too much mid-bass and the song is ruined also or it gets too congested. So I guess my point is that the Belden definitely has me hearing stuff I never heard on the Mogami for sure. Belden?! Huh?!

EDIT 2:

A day later I tried the Belden 1192A again and it once again fatigued my ears within 15 minutes. I guess since the HD-598's mids are already forward as it is, that cable didn't help. If you want the most detail and the clearest sound, get the 1192A. I also had this very weird (if not impossible?) impression that it seems to make my music more accurate to how it was recorded. I kept being reminded of the soundstage being more like that of the K601. Singers if they sounded distant, were definitely that way. It did offer the hugest soundstage. I know how this is hard to believe, but the 1192A made my HD-598 almost sound like a studio monitor. What..the heck?! Ok, one with forward mids, but there sure was lots of detail.

I removed it..I take back every single thing about a cable changing a headphone's signature. It's most definitely possible, but not totally transform it.

I ended up recabling it a third time with Canare L-4E5C. I normally don't like Canare, but maybe it's not as bad as I once thought. It does seem to add the most mid-bass I've ever heard in a cable.

BTW I wanted to believe cables don't sound like anything since they're "just copper", but now I can't really believe this. Each and every one has sounded different to me, which really stinks.

I read this huge PDF file of reviews of Instrument cables and the Cardas got some really good ratings. The Canare GS-6 also did. Mogami is supposed to be quite neutral, but it didn't rate very highly. Maybe the Cardas isn't really snake oil after all
regular_smile%20.gif
Too bad it's so hard to find in bulk.

Jun 3, 2011 at 10:47 PM Post #249 of 355
Hello Everyone,

After reading some good reviews of the 598 I demoed a pair at my local shop in Singapore. I had read that they had some of the qualities of the 600/650 with a slightly larger soundstage. When I listen to music I 'look' for the soundstage, I can handle certain shortcomings in the lower frequencies but the soundstage must be intact. First impressions were of disappointment. Let me go back a step.. You see historically I am a speaker guy who loves a good soundstage. Due to my new career I can no longer lug heavy items around with me but I did not want to lose my love of good hifi. From reading some of your enthusiastic reviews I was expecting something else...sounds from outside my head. I quickly put down the units and asked to demo the Grado SR80i- these phones lasted only several seconds before they were taken off, they just sounded like headphones and I found the in ear Shure 215 to be more preferable. BTW the headphones were connected to a very good $1500SGD headphone Amp running lossless. My disappointment dissipated and I returned to the 598's to give them one last real try. Closing my eyes, not worrying how ridiculous I looked, after several minutes I sunk into the music as I have only done once before when listening to an expensive Rega/ Naim speaker setup in a purposely designed listening room. The soundstage  was there- but of more depth/layers stacked like an onion's internals and with less width than my past home setups. I found however that I could hear details with uncoloured (compared to loudspeakers) precision. I could hear the distinct lower bass tones without them just being 'wooly vibrations'. 40 minutes passed and I did not want to leave my audio nirvana.
I did not buy the headphones that night. The next day I witnessed a live musical performance in a school hall. From where I was sitting the music sounded more like what I had experienced through the 598 headphones compared to my past speaker setups. I was surprised with this revelation. I think it is very easy to get used to a certain 'sound' and class this as our reference point. You may laugh, but at one stage I was so used to my ipod earbuds that when I first trialled some much higher quality IEM's I preferred my originals! I think our minds can easily be fooled, just like Mum's apple pie tastes best. Anyway, back to my post..I am using a Macbook pro to drive these units. It is acceptable for the meantime but in a few weeks I will return to my home country and collect my Rega Apollo as the source component. I like its soundstage and it's 'blackness' between individual notes. I have some high quality Audioquest interconnects. I am thinking of the Rega Ear as an Amp. The Musical Fidelity V8P (I know its an old model) is also available here for cheap $. WHich would you recommend and why? BTW when I demoed the H598 I found that the dedicated amp gave a more solid detailed bass. This Amp was retailing for 1500SGD (approx 1300 USD) which is outside of my budget hence I do not recollect the name. It is this quality of bass I wish to find again. The Macbook/ Ipod touch 1st gen in my opinion do not do a bad job of driving this model but they don't let it shine. Thanking you in advance for your advice:)

Cheers

Nick

Jun 3, 2011 at 11:13 PM Post #250 of 355
I once  believed that changing cables could not change the sound of an audio component. But that was because my testing was done with equipment that could not resolve the change in small details. If you have a high quality yet 'bright' system such as my past Tannoy Sensys DC1 ( w Supertweeters) + Rega Apollo it is easy to hear that silver based Interconnects can make the treble sound brighter with more detail/ air /sometimes harsh whilst copper warmer. Which is best? Depends on the shortcomings in your system. I am a headphone newbie (see my last post) but the resolving power of good headphones should mean that any change in cable should be noticeable. After I sort my system I will be looking at cables for sure!

Jun 3, 2011 at 11:19 PM Post #251 of 355

Quote:

Sorry, I didn't answer this before.  I was on vacation for 2 weeks and didn't check head-fi that much.

I've brought up to 3 boxes of headphones to meets.  I usually have an overflowing table.   The real headphone museum owner is WertherDVX, although he hasn't posted for 3 or so years and it doesn't look like he's updated his profile in that long.  http://www.head-fi.org/user/wertherdvx

Back when you could see who you were bidding against on eBay, he was infamous for outbidding everyone for something rare.  Once you saw you were bidding against him, you just stopped bidding.  I lost many an auction to him.

WOW... Now THAT guy has got himself a collection! He even has a ATH W11R. I feel a bit disappointed that such a member only made so many posts and then just left.

Quote:

I took the plunge and got the 598 two days ago after perusing this thread for a while. I just plugged 'em in to my E7/E9 and man I love these phones! The soundstage is indeed speaker-like and immense. My M50's needed about 15 hours before really waking up, but these sound amazing already and I've got maybe 3 hours on them! I was looking for an open phone to listen to my jazz collection - but these seem to get everything right regardless of genre. I find the bass to be just fine btw, not as deep as the M50 but it's there and much more defined. Right now I'm listening to The Blind Boys - amazing. Have fun! 

I'm glad you're liking the HD598s! I hope you'll keep enjoying them!

Quote:
Been using my 598 a LOT lately over my K601. The K601 doesn't give me that front row like experience, but almost close to that. My preference of headphone to listen to all comes down to what music I'm listening to at the time. My poor K702 still is on my head about only 10% of the time. I usually take it off because it just doesn't sound as natural as my K601. I guess i'll need to burn it in more..I'm only at about hour 80.

Well, I almost nearly killed my HD-598 today! Oops! I was sitting here doing some work and getting bored. I remembered I had a spare 1/8" plug I could use and had some Belden Starquad wire left. Previously I did some testing with interconnect cables and that's the only wire where I felt I could tell the difference. In fact I was quite positive of it. I think it's the same stuff that Blue Jeans Cable uses for their mini-to-mini interconnects.

As I was soldering the wire onto the ultra tiny soldering spot of the 598 I must have slipped or something and a piece of the board turned all white! Uh Oh. I was sure I killed my headphone. It's as Sennheiser wanted to say to me "Don't do it!" when soldering a new wire to the driver. Those voice coil wires are exposed and right next to the soldering area. Nice!

Well I put everything back together and everything still worked. The only negative is that this Belden Starquad is thicker and the cable is now somewhat like a snake. I still need to open everything back up and hot glue the wires in place.

I think it's safe to say I prefer it to Mogami, but at this point I'm still trying to figure out the differences, if any. For some reason the soundstage seems bigger. Sound seems more clear than the Mogami. I think the Mogami added a tad too much bass, but maybe not.

No more HD-598 cables for me, I figure next time I'll probably kill it for real and I don't want that.

BTW this may seem hard to believe, but it's easiest to tell the differences between cables in games. Recorded rain is also good for some things like testing soundstage. On my K702 I feel like I'm actually stuck outside in the rain and surrounded by it.

EDIT:

Somehow this new cable appears to be making my HD-598 a little more aggressive. It's now not quite as smooth and non-fatiguing as before. I'm hoping my ears were just tired to begin with. I must be crazy, because how on earth am I getting the impression of better imaging and a more accurate (and larger) soundstage? How's that possible for a new cable? I've experienced this more than once before. I'll give me ears a rest and see how it goes tomorrow. My guess is that it makes the upper mids appear to be slightly more forward. Too forward of upper mids and my ears throw a fit, but luckily this is rare. I doubt just a new wire could do this, so I'm going to hope it's just my tired ears. Probably is.

BTW it's amazing how easy it is now (after upgrading to ANY new wire) to pick up recording hiss and pick out the garbage tracks. On my HD-650 even with a good cable it was still fairly difficult at times.
No way ever you could any longer call the HD-598 grainy or not clear sounding. This is the whole reason I sold my HD-650. Still not as good as picking up all those subtle details in a recording as my KRK KNS-6400, but I just want to enjoy to my music and not analyze it.

Also...Cyril Morin soundtracks on the HD-598 are quite impressive. I need to buy the "Samsara" soundtrack.

Haha, this is amazing. There's this reference track I use where there is 5 metallic sounds that are very faint on the left. Only on a few headphones can I count the number of sounds. On most "decent" headphones it's only 3 of them that's heard. Even on the K702 or K601 I can only hear 3..or 4 if I'm lucky. On the KRK I can hear all of them. On the HD-598 with Mogami I could only hear maybe 3 or 4 also, but now with this Belden I can hear at least 5 as clear as day. It generally sounds like garbage on Sennheiser headphones and I don't know why. It sounds best on bass light or thinner sounding headphones and I don't know why. A headphone with too much mid-bass and the song is ruined also or it gets too congested. So I guess my point is that the Belden definitely has me hearing stuff I never heard on the Mogami for sure. Belden?! Huh?!

EDIT 2:

A day later I tried the Belden 1192A again and it once again fatigued my ears within 15 minutes. I guess since the HD-598's mids are already forward as it is, that cable didn't help. If you want the most detail and the clearest sound, get the 1192A. I also had this very weird (if not impossible?) impression that it seems to make my music more accurate to how it was recorded. I kept being reminded of the soundstage being more like that of the K601. Singers if they sounded distant, were definitely that way. It did offer the hugest soundstage. I know how this is hard to believe, but the 1192A made my HD-598 almost sound like a studio monitor. What..the heck?! Ok, one with forward mids, but there sure was lots of detail.

I removed it..I take back every single thing about a cable changing a headphone's signature. It's most definitely possible, but not totally transform it.

I ended up recabling it a third time with Canare L-4E5C. I normally don't like Canare, but maybe it's not as bad as I once thought. It does seem to add the most mid-bass I've ever heard in a cable.

BTW I wanted to believe cables don't sound like anything since they're "just copper", but now I can't really believe this. Each and every one has sounded different to me, which really stinks.

I read this huge PDF file of reviews of Instrument cables and the Cardas got some really good ratings. The Canare GS-6 also did. Mogami is supposed to be quite neutral, but it didn't rate very highly. Maybe the Cardas isn't really snake oil after all
regular_smile%20.gif
Too bad it's so hard to find in bulk.

That's some major work you got there tdock! I never really gave cables a second thought, but now I have. Too bad my cabling skills are non existent. Have you tried DIY amplifier building?

UPDATE: I gave my Sennheiser HD598s to my friend in Hong Kong as I have been listening to the W11R again. Listening to the W11R after having been with the HD598 for a while really made the HD598's midrange sound hollow though I still think it is a very good headphone for the price. Also, my KGSS electrostatic amplifier for my Stax O2 should be nearing completion. I hope my friend will appreciate the HD598.

There IS another headphone on my mind though, the Hifiman HE500, which supposedly has excellent midrange but seems to also lack bass. As usual, I'm still looking for something that can sound as natural as the W11R and possibly surpass it. The Omega 2 seems to be the only candidate so far from what I've heard and read. I'll personally see how it sounds with my own equipment and music when the electrostatic amp arrives.

Jun 4, 2011 at 12:01 AM Post #252 of 355

Quote:
Hello Everyone,

After reading some good reviews of the 598 I demoed a pair at my local shop in Singapore. I had read that they had some of the qualities of the 600/650 with a slightly larger soundstage. When I listen to music I 'look' for the soundstage, I can handle certain shortcomings in the lower frequencies but the soundstage must be intact. First impressions were of disappointment. Let me go back a step.. You see historically I am a speaker guy who loves a good soundstage. Due to my new career I can no longer lug heavy items around with me but I did not want to lose my love of good hifi. From reading some of your enthusiastic reviews I was expecting something else...sounds from outside my head. I quickly put down the units and asked to demo the Grado SR80i- these phones lasted only several seconds before they were taken off, they just sounded like headphones and I found the in ear Shure 215 to be more preferable. BTW the headphones were connected to a very good $1500SGD headphone Amp running lossless. My disappointment dissipated and I returned to the 598's to give them one last real try. Closing my eyes, not worrying how ridiculous I looked, after several minutes I sunk into the music as I have only done once before when listening to an expensive Rega/ Naim speaker setup in a purposely designed listening room. The soundstage  was there- but of more depth/layers stacked like an onion's internals and with less width than my past home setups. I found however that I could hear details with uncoloured (compared to loudspeakers) precision. I could hear the distinct lower bass tones without them just being 'wooly vibrations'. 40 minutes passed and I did not want to leave my audio nirvana.
I did not buy the headphones that night. The next day I witnessed a live musical performance in a school hall. From where I was sitting the music sounded more like what I had experienced through the 598 headphones compared to my past speaker setups. I was surprised with this revelation. I think it is very easy to get used to a certain 'sound' and class this as our reference point. You may laugh, but at one stage I was so used to my ipod earbuds that when I first trialled some much higher quality IEM's I preferred my originals! I think our minds can easily be fooled, just like Mum's apple pie tastes best. Anyway, back to my post..I am using a Macbook pro to drive these units. It is acceptable for the meantime but in a few weeks I will return to my home country and collect my Rega Apollo as the source component. I like its soundstage and it's 'blackness' between individual notes. I have some high quality Audioquest interconnects. I am thinking of the Rega Ear as an Amp. The Musical Fidelity V8P (I know its an old model) is also available here for cheap $. WHich would you recommend and why? BTW when I demoed the H598 I found that the dedicated amp gave a more solid detailed bass. This Amp was retailing for 1500SGD (approx 1300 USD) which is outside of my budget hence I do not recollect the name. It is this quality of bass I wish to find again. The Macbook/ Ipod touch 1st gen in my opinion do not do a bad job of driving this model but they don't let it shine. Thanking you in advance for your advice:)

Cheers

Nick

I wonder what IC you use between your Rega and your pre amp but by my own experience, the Kimber Silver Streaks are among one of the best cables from CDP to Preamp. Even  with their bass-shy etiquette , they throw in an immense sound stage. I have triedz several ICs from  Harmonic Technology, AQ... but the Silver Streaks are my favourite IC from source to pre amp.

This is my own experience, I do not wish to engage in the endless debate if wires are just wires.  

Jun 4, 2011 at 12:15 AM Post #253 of 355

Quote:
Hello Everyone,

Cheers

Nick

What Naim speakers are you using?  I have a pair of cherry Intro2 that have been sitting in their boxes for past two years. 

Jun 4, 2011 at 2:20 AM Post #254 of 355

Quote:
WOW... Now THAT guy has got himself a collection! He even has a ATH W11R. I feel a bit disappointed that such a member only made so many posts and then just left.

I'm glad you're liking the HD598s! I hope you'll keep enjoying them!

That's some major work you got there tdock! I never really gave cables a second thought, but now I have. Too bad my cabling skills are non existent. Have you tried DIY amplifier building?

UPDATE: I gave my Sennheiser HD598s to my friend in Hong Kong as I have been listening to the W11R again. Listening to the W11R after having been with the HD598 for a while really made the HD598's midrange sound hollow though I still think it is a very good headphone for the price. Also, my KGSS electrostatic amplifier for my Stax O2 should be nearing completion. I hope my friend will appreciate the HD598.

There IS another headphone on my mind though, the Hifiman HE500, which supposedly has excellent midrange but seems to also lack bass. As usual, I'm still looking for something that can sound as natural as the W11R and possibly surpass it. The Omega 2 seems to be the only candidate so far from what I've heard and read. I'll personally see how it sounds with my own equipment and music when the electrostatic amp arrives.

What the...heck? Man, you should have tried the recable them first and I bet any of your complaints would have disappeared. Seriously, after recabling mine I have zero complaints. Lack of Bass? Nope. Grainy or unclear sound? Nope! Again, the recabling is what made me sell my HD-650 that I started to really like and I even sent my HD-600 back before even opening the box. I bet even for those that have never held a soldering iron in their life could do it with only a 1% chance of killing their headphone. Drilling a headphone is not a good thing to do but it's 100% worth it. Recabling an HD-598 is the biggest improvement I've ever seen in a headphone.

Actually, I do have a few issues with the HD-598, but major nit-picking. It's just that the soundstage isn't as good as that of the K601. You never feel as if you can always tell 100% of the time where everything is and there doesn't always seem to be good separation between all the different instruments. Everything sometimes sounds too grouped together, more so than on the K601. HD-598's soundstage doesn't always seem as accurate as it could be.

At least now you can buy the DJ100
normal_smile%20.gif

I just made mine open and I'm loving it again.

Jun 4, 2011 at 11:02 PM Post #255 of 355

Quote:

What the...heck? Man, you should have tried the recable them first and I bet any of your complaints would have disappeared. Seriously, after recabling mine I have zero complaints. Lack of Bass? Nope. Grainy or unclear sound? Nope! Again, the recabling is what made me sell my HD-650 that I started to really like and I even sent my HD-600 back before even opening the box. I bet even for those that have never held a soldering iron in their life could do it with only a 1% chance of killing their headphone. Drilling a headphone is not a good thing to do but it's 100% worth it. Recabling an HD-598 is the biggest improvement I've ever seen in a headphone.

Actually, I do have a few issues with the HD-598, but major nit-picking. It's just that the soundstage isn't as good as that of the K601. You never feel as if you can always tell 100% of the time where everything is and there doesn't always seem to be good separation between all the different instruments. Everything sometimes sounds too grouped together, more so than on the K601. HD-598's soundstage doesn't always seem as accurate as it could be.

At least now you can buy the DJ100
normal_smile%20.gif

I just made mine open and I'm loving it again.

I heard some good things abt the Koss Pro 100 DJ with female vocals. How do you compare the Koss pro 100DJ against the Senn HD 598 as far as mid-range.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back