Why the Sennheiser HD598s are considered the best headphones in the world. Sennheiser HD598 review.
May 6, 2011 at 2:31 PM Post #16 of 355
Why buy the HD 598's when you can buy the HD 558's and remove the foam? They are supposed to be the same thing right?

Beyond that I would just like to say that I doubt any mid-fi headphones could qualify as the best headphone in the world. 
rolleyes.gif
 Your title is ridiculous. 

May 6, 2011 at 2:32 PM Post #17 of 355

Quote:
Why buy the HD 598's when you can buy the HD 558's and remove the foam? They are supposed to be the same thing right?

I heard something about the grill preventing the HD558 from completely sounding like the HD598. But either way, you should get the HD 598 because it looks so much more like a Lexus.

May 6, 2011 at 2:34 PM Post #18 of 355

Quote:

I heard something about the grill preventing the HD558 from completely sounding like the HD598. But either way, you should get the HD 598 because it looks so much more like a Lexus.

Seems like a waste of money, but I guess if looks are that important to you. . . 

May 6, 2011 at 2:36 PM Post #19 of 355
Quote:

Beyond that I would just like to say that I doubt any mid-fi headphones could qualify as the best headphone in the world. 
rolleyes.gif

My title is as close to accurate as these headphones.

May 6, 2011 at 2:48 PM Post #22 of 355
Wind016, I never wrote the HD598 was 'bad'. It just did not suit my preferences both sonically and practically. Not liking something is not a matter of good or bad. I listen to a lot of music and I prefer versatile headphones above a certain price point, aggressive bass lines count too. 

I explained myself already. So please do not misinterpret my words. 

May 6, 2011 at 2:51 PM Post #23 of 355
Quote:
Wind016, I never wrote the HD598 was 'bad'. It just did not suit my preferences both sonically and practically. Not liking something is not a matter of good or bad. I listen to a lot of music and I prefer versatile headphones above a certain price point, aggressive bass lines count too. 

I explained myself already. So please do not misinterpret my words. 

I see. We should not hate each other. I would prefer more bass too and that's where my ATH W11R comes in.

I already addressed the bass impact issue very clearly in my review multiple times in detail. You're suggested Beyerdynamic DT48 is also a closed headphone as I had also recommended getting for certain cases.

May 6, 2011 at 4:36 PM Post #25 of 355
I'm looking forward to the day when people will stop saying this...

It's already been said before numerous times that it's not the same as removing the foam on the HD-555 to make it a 595.

If you want to save money, go buy a Porta Pro..

Actually his title is correct. I would estimate that they sound about 250% better than the LCD2 and HD-800. This is assuming you use Flac and have a good amp such as the E5 or Burson HA-160.

Quote:

rolleyes.gif

May 6, 2011 at 4:55 PM Post #26 of 355
I wonder if you've heard any vintage orthos?  They're kings of the mids.  They don't have much sound stage though, so the sound sig will be quite a bit different. 

May 6, 2011 at 4:59 PM Post #27 of 355

Quote:

Have you actually heard them or are you just bashing them because of their mid-price status?

Not really bashing them, just wondering why the HD 598's instead of the HD 558's. I've read many times that they sound virtually identical with the foam removed - my bad, I guess these people are wrong.

Don't tell me to buy portapros just because I was misinformed and I thought spending more money for an identical headphone was a waste of money - this seems quite reasonable to me. :-/

My intention wasn't really to bash them just because they are "mid-fi" but it seems that people are very excited about these headphones due to their soundsignature and nothing much substantial, which seems rather odd to me, but everyone is looking for something different, so let's leave it at that. 

May 6, 2011 at 5:15 PM Post #28 of 355
Not really bashing them, just wondering why the HD 598's instead of the HD 558's. I've read many times that they sound virtually identical with the foam removed - my bad, I guess these people are wrong.

Don't tell me to buy portapros just because I was misinformed and I thought spending more money for an identical headphone was a waste of money - this seems quite reasonable to me. :-/

My intention wasn't really to bash them just because they are "mid-fi" but it seems that people are very excited about these headphones due to their soundsignature and nothing much substantial, which seems rather odd to me, but everyone is looking for something different, so let's leave it at that. 

What has been the obsession on Head-fi is headphone capability regardless of how unnatural they sound. A headphone that sounds natural and has the detail capabilities of this headphone is substantial. Improvements should be made from the HD598 voicing and onward.

May 6, 2011 at 5:20 PM Post #29 of 355
I'm looking forward to the day when people will stop saying this...

It's already been said before numerous times that it's not the same as removing the foam on the HD-555 to make it a 595.

If you want to save money, go buy a Porta Pro..

Actually his title is correct. I would estimate that they sound about 250% better than the LCD2 and HD-800. This is assuming you use Flac and have a good amp such as the E5 or Burson HA-160.

Percentages can not describe the music superiority these headphones. If I was to estimate, maybe 600%

May 6, 2011 at 5:28 PM Post #30 of 355
I'm a newb, and currently I got a set of 598s from someone on these boards and I love em :) much more bass when compared to the ATH-AD500s. I have never had the case with them that I get irritated and want to take them off, so I can understand some of what the OP said.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back