Why the Sennheiser HD598s are considered the best headphones in the world. Sennheiser HD598 review.
May 9, 2011 at 12:08 AM Post #61 of 355
Having the bass of the DT-990 would totally ruin something like the HD-598. MLE didn't you say you can't have everything?
regular_smile%20.gif

I guess you could have quite a lot of bass, some forward mids, but slightly rolled off highs.

If you want a headphone with more bass than the HD-598 and just as good of mids, but maybe even MORE forward, check into the DJ100. The HD-598 is actually not the best headphone in the world. That's the DJ100
beyersmile.png

I only prefer the 598 overall due to it being open and more comfortable.

DJ100 does a few things better to me than the HD-598. DJ100 still gets my vote as some of the best sounding female vocals for a closed headphone under $200. I think they've got the 598 beat in that area.

Since DJ100 didn't become as popular as the M50 like I had hoped (stupid amp requirement!) then the 598 will be good enough for me!

Ok, the 598 may be the more advanced driver, but the DJ100 is my favorite. Even when comparing it to the HD-650 I get a little mad. I won't go there..

Someone once described the DT-48 as like having an audio cable implanted into your brain. For me, that's the DJ100. The only negative is that it's not as clear as some of the $150 studio monitor headphones such as the KRK KNS-8400. Well probably because it's only $80!

Deserves to be loved as much as the KSC75 and Porta Pro
frown.gif

May 9, 2011 at 12:21 AM Post #64 of 355

I'm going to review my K601 vs the HD-598. I'm not the best and usually when I review something I over-analyze it and the review ends up to be 100 pages. I think my last review of obscure headphones got maybe 1 reply. You think the HD-598 is under-appreciated? Almost nobody has heard of the KRK KNS-8400 and it's even better than the SRH-840 by far.

The K601 doesn't have those bumps and it's more comfortable than the K701 due to the pads being flat and not at an angle. I actually think the K601 is as comfortable as the HD-598.

HD-598 just sounds so similar to the 598, but better in some areas. It does have an airier sound than the 598 and better imaging. I think it's soundstage is also far more accurate.

K601 is only $190 new often online and has good synergy with the E9. I only sold my first pair a year ago because it had this weird boosted lower treble on my Asgard. Horrible synergy because my new pair doesn't have that issue. It does have more treble than the 598, but much, much less than the K702. Switching from the K702 to the K601 makes one think it's a dark headphone, but not quite.

So I think it's safe to say that my K601, 598 and DJ100 are favorites. I probably like the DJ100 the most because it just sounds so amazing for $80. Some people love their Porta Pro so much, but for me it's the DJ100. Definitely the king of the budget headphones for sure.

Still trying to convince Wind016 to get the DJ100. I want to see the same thread title, but with DJ100 instead of HD-598
normal_smile%20.gif

Quote:

Ah man, I really hate this site. I really do.
tongue.gif

I'm going to have to look into those then. To tell you the truth, if I could pick one headphone out of every headphone I've ever had to try again, it would be the K701. I really, really want to try those again, but the comfort killed it for me because of those stupid bumps! Since then, I have taken glimpses into the K601 due to it's smooth headband and surprisingly good reputation against the K701. But man, I may have to start reading more about that. And I take it you'll probably be my source for most of it!

May 9, 2011 at 12:22 AM Post #65 of 355
$175 eh ? The cheapest I can find these for sale in Oz is $318, and that equates to 342 USD at the current exchange rate on xe.com. Even assuming parity, what justifies a $135 price increase over the street price in the US ? Sennheiser is the only headphone company that screws us this blatantly - the sticker price in shops will be closer to $400.

The Sennheiser family can keep their overpriced, overhyped headphones.

May 9, 2011 at 12:23 AM Post #66 of 355
Wow, and I upgraded to the HD650's from the 598. I think the 650 is leaps and bounds better than the 598.

May 9, 2011 at 12:23 AM Post #67 of 355
I wouldn't. Not unless you can demo the 598 first. Switching from the DT-880 to the 598 would be quite a shocker for me.
I prefer the 598, but the DT-880 is quite a good headphone. Of course DT-880 is "technically" better
dt880smile.png

Quote:
Danggg. Maybe one day I should trade my 880 for a 598.

May 9, 2011 at 12:28 AM Post #68 of 355
Better how?

It is technically better..OK, I'll shut up....

HD-650 has a clearer sound and is maybe more revealing, but the 598 just makes music so much more fun to listen to.
Far more engaging and less laid back. Of course my HD-650 isn't too laid back with my amp.

Really can't go wrong with any of them. Just go with what you like most!

I also "upgraded" from the 598 to the HD-650, but I love both. HD-598 is better for my favorite genres though.

Quote:
Wow, and I upgraded to the HD650's from the 598. I think the 650 is leaps and bounds better than the 598.

May 9, 2011 at 12:32 AM Post #69 of 355
tdock: Haha yeah, I was only half serious about switching. I'm really quite content with my 880, and perhaps the only reason to sell it would be to raise funds for customs (wayyy in the future).

May 9, 2011 at 12:35 AM Post #70 of 355

Wow, no way a HD-598 is worth $342. Not with the K601 around for about the same price. IS AKG stuff cheaper there?

To me the HD-598 is worth $250, but at that price it's not a good deal at all. Just "OK". Other headphones under $250 might sound better, but they just don't have that addicting HD-598 signature.

Or the huge soundstage... The HD-598 is the third largest I've heard. Right behind the AD700 and K702! It's even larger than the soundstage of my HD-650 and the HD-600 I had.

Compared to the HD-600's price of $349, the HD-598 is a steal. The HD-600 isn't a massive upgrade really to me. Probably not even 10% better.
Quote:
$175 eh ? The cheapest I can find these for sale in Oz is $318, and that equates to 342 USD at the current exchange rate on xe.com. Even assuming parity, what justifies a $135 price increase over the street price in the US ? Sennheiser is the only headphone company that screws us this blatantly - the sticker price in shops will be closer to $400.

May 9, 2011 at 12:35 AM Post #71 of 355
I listen to alot of heavy metal, some hip-hop, and some classical type(mostly from Hans Zimmer). I just think the 650 does a better job at producing a more realistic sound and it does it without all that popping that the whole 500 series had, which is very annoying.

May 9, 2011 at 1:31 AM Post #72 of 355
Quote:
I listen to alot of heavy metal, some hip-hop, and some classical type(mostly from Hans Zimmer). I just think the 650 does a better job at producing a more realistic sound and it does it without all that popping that the whole 500 series had, which is very annoying.

Nothing is more realistic than the HD598.

EDIT: If you had EQed the treble as I did, timbre and imaging should have improved. HD650 has recessed treble and generally recessed or neutral treble has good timbre.

Quote:

Where is the Oz place? Does the evil wizard still rule the country/province? I suggest you move to the states to get better prices.

May 9, 2011 at 2:26 AM Post #73 of 355
Australia is a very large continent with a small population, most of whom huddle in 3 cities on the Eastern Seaboard. I know - that would make stuff cheap in those 3 cities, right ? Er, no - it makes real estate hideously expensive, food increasingly so and anything we import usually gets trucked from one end of the country to the other.

All that aside, the Sennheiser distributor here seems to take special delight in gouging us, and they can get away with it because consumers have been conditioned to believe that 'audiophile' headphones start at $300. Nominate a Senn model at a given price in Oz and I guarantee you I can nominate a pair of competitors phones that offer more for less money. You dont even what to know what the asking price is for the HD800.

May 9, 2011 at 2:39 AM Post #74 of 355

Quote:
Like I mentioned before, the HD598 is severely underrated and under appreciated. People think because its a 5xx series Senn, it shouldn't perform like the 6xx. The few who HAVE heard the 598 are very surprised at how good they actually are.

I said this once, I'll say it again:

Give me a headphone with the soundstage, imaging, mids and highs of the 598 and bass of the DT990, for less than $300, and I guarantee you, they would be kings of that price bracket.

Personally, the bass is lacking a little which is where they should improve on.

Yes, please don't mind me quoting you and possibly changing your words.

Quote:
Nice review.

Can you recommend a usb amp that will work well with these headphones?

You don't need to buy a separate amplifier to enjoy these headphones. In fact you probably don't need to plug these headphones into anything to enjoy them.

Quote:
So please let me understand what you are saying is the HD 598s are not perfect ( need bass of the DT 990) and even if the HD 598s have the bass of the DT990, they only be the king within $300.00 bracket. Please correct me if I misread your post.

1. Need bass of the DT990 .
2. Only be the king within $300.00 price range bracket.

How is the best HPs in the world need bass of the DT990 and only within a limit of price bracket of $300.00 ?  You are not very positive about the fact that the HD 598 are the best headphones in the world as OP stated, Are you?

Please forgive me if I am  wrong.

You can't get everything for $175, but you can't get such a midrange, effortless sound, and soundstage anywhere else again unless you're willing to spend $3000. Cheers.

May 9, 2011 at 3:15 AM Post #75 of 355
Quote:
Australia is a very large continent with a small population, most of whom huddle in 3 cities on the Eastern Seaboard. I know - that would make stuff cheap in those 3 cities, right ? Er, no - it makes real estate hideously expensive, food increasingly so and anything we import usually gets trucked from one end of the country to the other.

All that aside, the Sennheiser distributor here seems to take special delight in gouging us, and they can get away with it because consumers have been conditioned to believe that 'audiophile' headphones start at $300. Nominate a Senn model at a given price in Oz and I guarantee you I can nominate a pair of competitors phones that offer more for less money. You dont even what to know what the asking price is for the HD800.

Ic... That is unfortunate. You're not alone though. When I visited South Korea, I noticed the price of the AKG K701s were almost $500. All the headphones there were ridiculously overpriced.

Quote:

Still trying to convince Wind016 to get the DJ100. I want to see the same thread title, but with DJ100 instead of HD-598
normal_smile%20.gif

I would like to try, but I may never give that title to any closed headphone other than the Audio Technica W11R, the god of closed headphones. May be when the day comes and my W11R rust and evaporate from age
eek.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back