Why no love for Focal Utopia owners

Do you feel disappointed with Focals decision to bundle accessories with Clear and not Utopia?

• Total voters
Oct 8, 2017 at 4:29 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 40

marcussmj

100+ Head-Fier
Dear Focal,

First of all congratulations on your new product launch. A lot of people were excited to see what Focal has been hard at work for the past few months or so. The Clear seems to be fantastic compromise for a lot of headphone enthusiast in this immense community. But I have a few concerns to address, mainly for us Utopia owners prior to the product announcement. Before you write me off as being entitled I would like to preface this by saying I am genuinely concern for the wellbeing of those who paid the price for your flagship headphone. With the Clear, as seen in the video made by headfi.tv we were greeted with accessories such as the travel case, and the 3 cable types such as 3.5mm, 6.3mm and the 4 pin xlr cable. I write this with hopes to gain understanding from your end as to why you made such a puzzling decision. For us Utopia owners, who bought the product early on gets nothing? I am extremely disappointed with this decision made on your part. What about us, the ones who supported your product early on? Are we not entitled to these accessories as well? I look forward to a satisfying answer on your end.

9gzNFNN.png

2A5I8QS.png

Oct 8, 2017 at 11:32 AM Post #3 of 40
I agree thats the issue with early adoption but if focal wants to keep customers for life they'll listen and provide some benefits to existing owners. Even if it wasn't for free offering a discounted cable/accessory package to existing owners can't hurt focal.

Oct 8, 2017 at 11:41 AM Post #4 of 40
I agree thats the issue with early adoption but if focal wants to keep customers for life they'll listen and provide some benefits to existing owners. Even if it wasn't for free offering a discounted cable/accessory package to existing owners can't hurt focal.

It really comes off as just whiny and a bit childish (in the temper tantrum sense).

Would it be nice if they offered some sort of discounted bundle? That would be more than nice, they'd be going way out of their way considering they'd have to create all new cables for the Utopia, since they can't just use the ones already created for the Clear.

I guess it just sounds ridiculous to me. Do you expect this sort of treatment from other companies/indistries?

I guess it comes down to differences as consumers. I was told what I would get for what I was paying, and I got that. Being angry that other people are getting what they're paying for (even though you feel it's a slight because they get more accessories) is kind of petty.

Oct 8, 2017 at 11:50 AM Post #5 of 40
I don't believe I came off whiny in the least. I suggested they should consider their existing customer base which "I" think is good marketing. Putting new terminations on a cable is trivial. Its also a way to raise additional revenue from existing customers. I think you have misinterpreted my comment, sorry.

Oct 8, 2017 at 3:53 PM Post #8 of 40
I posted the below in response to your post on this subject in another thread. Then I stumbled on this thread you created. I honestly just feel embarrassed for you and only reinforces my earlier sentiments, that I think you bought the wrong headphones dude.

Who says the flagship Utopia should have had any added accessories? Sure, would be nice to haves, but not should have. You must not like your Utopias very much. Maybe you should create a poll in protest. Including a couple extra cables with the Clear is a smart marketing move by Focal. It will differentiate it from the Elear, without having to try very hard (or spend much money developing something altogether new). Don't be fooled into thinking a form fitting case and a couple extra cables make the Clear that much better than the Elear or think that all us Utopia (which is marketed to a different segment) buyers are somehow being scammed. Many folks are going to see the included cables and think its worth forking over many hundreds more for the Clear for what amounts to a few dollars worth of cable, sheathing and connectors. I’m not suggesting that the Clears aren’t worth the price bump (not having heard them), but I wouldn’t be swayed by the inclusion of a few added accessories, nor do I feel robbed because my Utopia’s didn’t include them. I love the Utopia. I think they are worth what I paid for them. Had Focal included three cables in the box, all three would be sitting in a drawer, because I need to spend a thousand dollars on fancy cables, because all cabling included by the manufacturer must be garbage (I say sarcastically). The carry case would've been nice to have, but realistically, the Utopias will never leave the perch in my listening room. If you feel burned because you didn't get a bunch of added accessories with your Utopia, then you should not have bought the Utopia. Its like buying a an M6 and complaining that the 3 Series came with a set of winter tires and three different trailer hitches.

Oct 8, 2017 at 5:50 PM Post #9 of 40
I don't have a problem with my purchase, I'm quite happy in fact. All I said was "I agree thats the issue with early adoption but if focal wants to keep customers for life they'll listen and provide some benefits to existing owners." Positive outreach, early marketing info and other things all lead to a positive marketing experience and keep customers happy and positive buzz going around the product, thats all. I don't expect they have to do a thing and personally don't care. You're right it goes with the territory of being an early adopter.

Oct 8, 2017 at 6:18 PM Post #10 of 40
To be honest, I do think a case and a mobile cable should be included going forward. I DON'T own the Utopia so I'm not "whining". Although a mobile cable would have been nice for the Elear too. I think the Clear one can be used though, hope they sell it separately eventually. But I'm just saying now that Focal realizes they should have included these things to begin with, any subsequent sale should include them. I do empathize with the $4K paying people, that would ruffle my feathers a bit too.

Oct 8, 2017 at 7:28 PM Post #11 of 40
I think a case and the extra cables should be included from here on. However, if they suddenly posted on their web site that a case was included, what would happen to all the exiting stock at dealers? What if a customer bought a pair that was shipped prior to when a case was inluded, only to complain that they didn't get a case?

Oct 8, 2017 at 7:41 PM Post #12 of 40
Whiners never win.

Oct 8, 2017 at 11:58 PM Post #13 of 40
Back when the HD-800S was introduced, some folks expressed their dissatisfaction about Sennheiser including the balanced cable and it's additional cost. Now all of a sudden, it's all right for Focal to do the same thing with the Clear and maybe even the already expensive Utopia. I'm sure Focal never intended the Utopia to be used as a portable, so what would be the point of an additional cable for that purpose not to mention the fact that many do not own balanced amps.

I'm sure by purchasing LEMO connectors in bulk, they could add additional cables without totally destroying their profit margin, just not sure if it would contribute to an increase in sales but what do I know about marketing.

Oct 9, 2017 at 3:18 AM Post #14 of 40
I actually wonder how many people that express their "opinions" and cast the votes are actual utopia owners. Also keep it mind, not everyone was fortunate enough to take advantage of the recent deals due to geographical factors.

Oct 9, 2017 at 3:29 AM Post #15 of 40
I posted the below in response to your post on this subject in another thread. Then I stumbled on this thread you created. I honestly just feel embarrassed for you and only reinforces my earlier sentiments, that I think you bought the wrong headphones dude.

Who says the flagship Utopia should have had any added accessories? Sure, would be nice to haves, but not should have. You must not like your Utopias very much. Maybe you should create a poll in protest. Including a couple extra cables with the Clear is a smart marketing move by Focal. It will differentiate it from the Elear, without having to try very hard (or spend much money developing something altogether new). Don't be fooled into thinking a form fitting case and a couple extra cables make the Clear that much better than the Elear or think that all us Utopia (which is marketed to a different segment) buyers are somehow being scammed. Many folks are going to see the included cables and think its worth forking over many hundreds more for the Clear for what amounts to a few dollars worth of cable, sheathing and connectors. I’m not suggesting that the Clears aren’t worth the price bump (not having heard them), but I wouldn’t be swayed by the inclusion of a few added accessories, nor do I feel robbed because my Utopia’s didn’t include them. I love the Utopia. I think they are worth what I paid for them. Had Focal included three cables in the box, all three would be sitting in a drawer, because I need to spend a thousand dollars on fancy cables, because all cabling included by the manufacturer must be garbage (I say sarcastically). The carry case would've been nice to have, but realistically, the Utopias will never leave the perch in my listening room. If you feel burned because you didn't get a bunch of added accessories with your Utopia, then you should not have bought the Utopia. Its like buying a an M6 and complaining that the 3 Series came with a set of winter tires and three different trailer hitches.

Don't speak in absolutes. You don't know what I plan to do with my Utopia, you make an ass out of you and me by assuming I do not take them out for travelling. So what if the stock cable is garbage? Not everyone is keen on spending extra on top of the already expensive headphone. Point is, I have already come to terms with the lackluster packaging of the Utopia but now Focal is shoving it in our face by providing accessories that the flagship SHOULD have. Who are you to tell me I should not have bought the Utopia?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back