Why no love for Focal Utopia owners

Do you feel disappointed with Focals decision to bundle accessories with Clear and not Utopia?

• Total voters
Oct 9, 2017 at 3:34 AM Post #17 of 40
people that spend $4000 on headphones will have no problem spend few hundred more on custom cables.

Well that is just an asinine statement. Just because you can afford to fork out extra does not mean you should. What if I had no money to spend right now for a custom cable but have a balanced amp? I won't be able to take full advantage of my setup. There are so many factors at play here. You do not assume everyone that owns a Utopia is comfortable with spending more on top.

Last edited:
Oct 9, 2017 at 9:05 AM Post #18 of 40
It all comes down to this:
1) Focal told you exactly what you're getting and what price you were paying for it.
2) You purchased the headphones knowing ^^^
3) You're now mad that they're releasing another headphone with accessories you want
4) Here's where the perceived "whiny-ness" comes in: you complain about not getting said accessories even though you went through with 1 and 2.

Should you be able to buy more accessories for your headphones? Sure! Do you already have that option? Yep!

Yet, here we are. People who bought 3K+ headphones pissed off that they didn't get the same shiny accessories that new owners of the Clear will receive. Again, seems very childish and entitled.

Oct 9, 2017 at 10:36 AM Post #19 of 40
You can't deny that Clear owners are getting the whole enchilada while others get nothing, especially those who paid double and a half. I'm not angry because I didn't pay $4K(and also don't own the Utopia) but yeah, I'd be a little miffed right now too if I had. I can see why he's mad. The positive is Focal finally realized their mistake. The only thing I'm truly disappointed about is them not making a mobile cable available sooner but hopefully that's changed. We can only go forward. Unfortunately it's probably unlikely that they'll retroactively take care of their early adopters. Companies rarely do, Apple being a rare exception. But maybe Focal will provide Utopia mobile and balanced cables for sale, just like you can now choose to buy the case. Let this be a lesson because it's happened before with other products, IT SOMETIMES PAYS TO WAIT. Let others jump at the first releases and higher prices.

Oct 9, 2017 at 11:55 AM Post #20 of 40
I think a case and the extra cables should be included from here on. However, if they suddenly posted on their web site that a case was included, what would happen to all the exiting stock at dealers? What if a customer bought a pair that was shipped prior to when a case was inluded, only to complain that they didn't get a case?

This.

Forza AudioWorks Stay updated on Forza AudioWorks at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://forzaaudioworks.com/en
Oct 9, 2017 at 2:30 PM Post #22 of 40
It's a no win situation for manufacturers. If they do put extra cables/cases/etc in the primary sales package, some people will complain that they don't want to pay for extras they don't need.

Plenty example of exactly that on head-fi...

All that stuff for another $499? No thanks. Slappa case fits perfectly and is smaller. I will also pick my own custom cable. In fact, if Focal cut $499 from the Utopia by not including the leather case and OEM cable I would be thrilled. I got enough garbage free accessories from other purchases. This is all from the perspective of Utopia.

For Clear, I am ambivalent since it is the initial product launch. However, how many would be happy if Focal sold the Clear for $999 without all the stuff?

Oct 9, 2017 at 11:09 PM Post #23 of 40
It all comes down to this:
1) Focal told you exactly what you're getting and what price you were paying for it.
2) You purchased the headphones knowing ^^^
3) You're now mad that they're releasing another headphone with accessories you want
4) Here's where the perceived "whiny-ness" comes in: you complain about not getting said accessories even though you went through with 1 and 2.

Should you be able to buy more accessories for your headphones? Sure! Do you already have that option? Yep!

Yet, here we are. People who bought 3K+ headphones pissed off that they didn't get the same shiny accessories that new owners of the Clear will receive. Again, seems very childish and entitled.

You call it whining, I call it providing feedback as a Utopia OWNER.

Oct 9, 2017 at 11:21 PM Post #24 of 40
Well that is just an asinine statement. Just because you can afford to fork out extra does not mean you should. What if I had no money to spend right now for a custom cable but have a balanced amp? I won't be able to take full advantage of my setup. There are so many factors at play here. You do not assume everyone that owns a Utopia is comfortable with spending more on top.

the notion that you do not have the money for a cable means you are not their target audience, you are paying for exclusivity not bang for the buck come on....

Oct 9, 2017 at 11:47 PM Post #26 of 40
Neither do people who keep silent.
That's your crutch position.

Bottom line is your fault. $4k headphone should include everything needed (as good business), but $4k headphone should also include
servicing to all owners - original and secondhand (bad business), so you get what you get.

Welcome to 2017+. Still supporting these hack companies. Your fault.

Last edited:
Oct 10, 2017 at 12:54 AM Post #28 of 40
I think the main reason Focal decided to add the Clear accessories was to help justify the additional asking price for what is basically a modified version of the Elear. Yes, I know the Clear drivers are upgraded, but I doubt they cost that much more to manufacture over those of the Elear. Just throw in a cute little zip up case, a few extra so-so cables and charge five hundred dollars more, marketing genius!

Oct 10, 2017 at 9:56 AM Post #30 of 40
I thought there might be some useful Utopia content here as i am considering them, at the promo price of $3k, (sorry) :wink: not to light the fire, lol, but as a retail owner, life gives you a deal once in a while, then there are those moments when you know something is producing reference sound and you pull the trigger. Don't look back.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back