Why Mod? (with a poll)
Jul 3, 2010 at 2:37 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

Prog Rock Man

Headphoneus Supremus
Why do you modify products? From changing headphone pads to reworking of amplifiers, have you nodded and was it worthwhile?

Jul 3, 2010 at 3:05 PM Post #3 of 18
Whats wrong with the options?

Jul 3, 2010 at 3:15 PM Post #4 of 18
Put more options in. They don't seem to cover all the reasons for modifying stuff. Perhaps it is difficult for you to do so if you are not into modifiying or DIY yourself?

Jul 3, 2010 at 3:43 PM Post #7 of 18

Quote:
Put more options in. They don't seem to cover all the reasons for modifying stuff. Perhaps it is difficult for you to do so if you are not into modifiying or DIY yourself?

My DIY is making cables and I have a Cmoy amp to try next. What other options would you have put in?

Jul 3, 2010 at 4:20 PM Post #8 of 18
What else would I put in? The big one: It saves money. Bang for the buck, all that. Also, "fun" is a little vague, I feel. Perhaps "because it is my hobby" would also fit.

Jul 3, 2010 at 5:23 PM Post #9 of 18
How about learning and experimentation as an option?

I don't modify much gear.  Couple of reasons for this.  One, I'm not an engineer and those who design products typically know better than I do.  Changing things around usually comes with unforeseen consequences.  When those turn up, you can chase your tail stamping out consequences until you realize why the designer designed it as it was.

Second, if something isn't what I want, I don't buy it in the first place.  If I wanted a serious sports car (and, well, I do) I would not spend $17k on a Civic and put $10k into various mods and performance upgrades.  Instead, I'd go pick up an older Lotus Esprit for $20k or so.  That's a real sports car and I wouldn't have to muck around with a bunch of aftermarket stuff to get what I truly wanted.

Jul 4, 2010 at 8:33 PM Post #12 of 18
It's educational and, in the case of my McIntosh, necessary. Lately I've been playing with the screen voltage on the 7591s since McIntosh's spec is outside of what those tubes are designed to handle. Trying to find the balance between low distortion and not having my tubes burn themselves up has proven interesting. McIntosh spec: 450v screen. Tube limiting value: 440v. Max recommended as per datasheet: 400v. Augh!

(I've currently settled on 442.5v and a fan blowing directly on the tubes).

Jul 6, 2010 at 3:41 PM Post #13 of 18
I agree with weibby, one important factor in designing of a product is the profit. Hence, compromises are always made to achieve a certain price point. Modding can often get rid of some promises and makes an equipment to perform much better without having to spend substantially more money.

Jul 9, 2010 at 1:44 PM Post #14 of 18
There are a lot of products that you can see the engineers had a great innovative design and then the accountants slashed vital components, circuity, etc.  These products make great platforms to mod,  by spending that extra $100 the accountants and salesmens didn't want in the cost sometimes you create a giant killer.

Jul 9, 2010 at 2:09 PM Post #15 of 18

Quote:
"Because its awesome to have yours unique"

x2. I have even given my cables names to make it appear they are bespoke. My interconnects are the Solar MkII.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back