Why Mod? (with a poll)
Jul 10, 2010 at 7:59 AM Post #16 of 18
To improve the product I would say.
Sound quality, design wise, feature wise, build quality wise, ... or for other reasons.

Jul 10, 2010 at 8:54 AM Post #17 of 18
Sometimes the original design has mistakes,  classic example was the Lite DAC-AH.  If I remember it was a $2 fix gave a huge SQ improvement.  Don't know if it has been corrected this was 3-4 years ago.

I love modding because I think it is the best way to learn how circuits work.  The Hiface is another one,  unmodded IMO its run of the mill,  ~$100 modded it is better than the few $20k transports I've heard.   Its amazing how sales/marketing can cut a design to meet the intended market target but thats business.

Its not just commercial products either,  I love what Alec C. has done for our DIY community but even his designs can be improved.  Modding is natural engineering progression,  we call it Continuous Improvement (CI) at work.  I despise folks who think stock is superior, thinking the OE engineers did everything perfect,  its never the case in the real world .   It has been the cause of many arguments I've had with folks on this forum over the years.   Sometimes I'm right,  sometimes wrong,  but that is how CI works.

Jul 10, 2010 at 9:08 AM Post #18 of 18

Quote:
Sometimes the original design has mistakes,  classic example was the Lite DAC-AH.  If I remember it was a $2 fix gave a huge SQ improvement.  Don't know if it has been corrected this was 3-4 years ago.

For such a small amount of money, there must be instances where a maker has adopted a mod?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back