Why Kanye West = God?
Jan 5, 2011 at 1:05 PM Post #181 of 378
Very well said. 
Music is always going to be more universal because pacing and melody can move emotion without words.

Rap is different because a lot of emotional sway is determined by the content of the words. 
If I listen to French rap, by contrast, I wouldn't know what was going on. 
I think a lot of the meaning is being missed because of the rapping;
this is some of his finest for the reasons that Calexico states.

When I think of Kanye going insane, it makes me think back to Dave Chappelle's interview with James Lipton.
There Dave explains how it's really Hollywood that is insane and it makes its participants crazy. 
He goes in depth about Martin Lawrence and how Hollywood broke him. 
Kanye could be going through the same things. 
Kanye also did that experiment where he followed some random kid on Twitter.
Kanye's button click changed some little kid's life. 
That's insane. 

Star power now is not even the same as it was 10 years ago.
Kanye has captured the zeitgeist. 
Radiohead captured it in OK Computer.
I'm sure none of you will have trouble seeing the genius in that album. 
Kanye's achievement is no less signficant, even if Radiohead felt it necessary to dismiss him like Miley Cyrus.   

Oh yeah, Kanye is still a douche. 
I also have the sense to separate the man from the music. 
Quote:
There are so many sources to find music about love and loss, but Kanye's story of isolation as a star is a very unique one.  He has handled his fame poorly in many ways and the media has made him suffer for his fame in many ways, and in this album he has put together these issues.  The traits that make him so interesting and successful are also the ones that drive away loved ones and alienate himself from the public.  It's a compelling contradiction.  His "beautiful dark twisted fantasy" isn't a fantasy at all - It's his own life!  Fame is disillusioning and, as we all know, does not necessarily make you happy.

Jan 5, 2011 at 1:14 PM Post #183 of 378
I don't understand the "magic" which this album is said to have.
Yes, it is addicting, but not art.

Otherwise i wouldn't have made this thread.
It is to better understand the views of others.
Which worked relatively well until now.....

Jan 5, 2011 at 5:51 PM Post #189 of 378
Lol if you take the time to read thru all 13 pages.....you'll shake your head and leave.

Jan 5, 2011 at 7:51 PM Post #190 of 378
eveyones definition of art is different.  if you have tried to see how this album is good and you have failed, its ok move on. its like the beats by dre.  if you listen to them and you think they suck but everyone else is thinking they are great, its tough to understand that. 

Jan 6, 2011 at 10:41 PM Post #192 of 378
actually a lot of rap reviewers/music reviewers gave him a perfect score on that album, and I personally enjoyed it. But you have to listen to the whole track to really get a sense of how amazing this album is. The tribal beats of Monster was crazy, and Nicki Minaj tore up that track. And All of the lights is by far the best song on the album. and throughout you can see how good his beats and lyrics are. his ability to incorporate electronic sounds,with great beats, and classical string instruments is amazing. like when he says We make 'em say ho cuz the game so pimpish, choke a South Park writer with a fish stick. in response to all the haters. all in all y'all just hatin cuz hes black

Jan 6, 2011 at 10:57 PM Post #193 of 378
The only reason to dislike Kanye is because he's black?

Funny, I'm no fan of Kanye. The lyric you quoted is juvenile - and it doesn't even rhyme.

Though I've got a bit of Afropop on the shelf and have spent a few years building a jazz collection. There's a bit of blues and gospel, too.

Also, would you like a list of white artists I can't stand?

The reason you're playing the race card is because you can't defend Kanye musically. Cliché after cliché, a musical snore and a sad, pathetic little celebrity. Oh, and Obama was dead on in his assessment.

Jan 7, 2011 at 4:10 AM Post #195 of 378
Pretty sure he was just kidding about the race card.  Can we move the discussion beyond that?
If you don't like hip hop in general, then I don't think you can comment on whether or not Kanye has merit as an artist. 
Of course it's your right to not like his music or hip hop music in general.
Lots of people feel that way.
But what you cannot do is claim that his music is bad within his own genre

What we are discussing here is how good Kanye's album is within the realm of hip hop music.
He has elevated the art form to the next level, IMO. 
That is a great achievement. 

Quote:
The only reason to dislike Kanye is because he's black?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back