Why Kanye West = God?
May 4, 2011 at 2:42 PM Post #376 of 378
That's a nice, diverse list there Cognautic. Although I haven't heard some of those artists, I think even someone who normally despises hip hop will find something they like in there. I would also add Blackalicious. I find their lyrics to be very meaningful and the beats unique

Quote:

Concerning hip hop artists that *only* use live instrumentation....

The Roots
Artofficial
E. Reece and the Core Elements
Cradle Orchestra
Hocus Pocus
Atmosphere's last two albums
Collective Efforts
RPM (Restoring Poetry in Music)
Crown City Rockers

However, many hip hop users use live instrumentation of some type...A Piece of Strange by Cunninlynguists uses samples, but also have original guitar work throughout the album, and it makes for a great experience, in my opinion. Soon It Will Be Cold Enough by Emancipator, Moments in Life by Seasons' End, and Modal Soul by Nujabes also feature samples but also have original piano playing.

None of those artists deal with subject content that you'd normally deal with in the mainstream. I'll name a few albums that have very interesting subject content that aren't by any of the aforementioned artists, however....

Madvillany - Madvillain
The Cold Vein - Cannibal Ox
Deltron 3030 - Deltron 3030
The Ugly Truth - Prolyphic & Reanimator
A Long Hot Summer - Masta Ace
12 Step Program - Panacea
Common Market - Common Market
The Scenic Route - Panacea
Oneirology - Cunninlynguists
Black on Both Sides - Mos Def
I Phantom - Mr. Lif
Labor Days - Aesop Rock

May 4, 2011 at 4:04 PM Post #377 of 378

Quote:
That's a nice, diverse list there Cognautic. Although I haven't heard some of those artists, I think even someone who normally despises hip hop will find something they like in there. I would also add Blackalicious. I find their lyrics to be very meaningful and the beats unique

Ah yes, Blackalicious, I forgot about them. A very nice group. I feel I should give Common a mention,  but for every interesting narrative he has he has a patronizingly simple philosophical record. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back