Why is the HD650 'boring'?
Jun 1, 2011 at 4:55 AM Post #76 of 88
You find the HD650 too smooth?

What does 'smooth' mean in regards to frequency response and transients?

When I hear electric guitars on the HD650 the 'grain' on their sound is much more apparent than with my DT880 which has a very soft attack and tends to smooth over the grain. In this way I'd call the DT880 smoother. The peaky treble response with the DT880 on cymbals and other high frequencies, however, definitely makes the HD650 smoother than the DT880 in that regard.

If I had to describe the HD650 I would say that it sounds like a GRADO (my SR60) with a lot less treble and more mid bass. The mids are almost equally forward. To put it another way, the HD650 and SR60 seem from the same family, but tuned differently and the DT880 seems like a different beast altogether.

Again, that impression seems weird... Is it?

Jun 1, 2011 at 5:32 AM Post #77 of 88
Honestly, why even argue about this? If someone finds them boring, then they're boring to them, simple as that. No amount of technical info, opinions, comparisons, reviews etc will change their sound preferences. If you like them then simply continue to enjoy them. I've already described why people like myself find them boring, and obviously many people disagree, and that's perfectly fine, we all have our preferences.

Jun 1, 2011 at 8:44 AM Post #80 of 88
While certainly not "forward", the HD650, for me, are certainly "engaging", but by no means "boring".  

The best I ever heard from the HD650 came when amped with the Darkvoice 337 fitted with some good NOS tubes.  (The Fitz-Maxed Bada PH-12 drives the HD650 well, too.)  Overall, though, I tend to prefer the HD600, whose performance tends to be less amp-dependent than the HD650, and more natively "neutral" and energetic in its own right, too.  

Jun 1, 2011 at 9:15 PM Post #82 of 88

Quote:
If I had to describe the HD650 I would say that it sounds like a GRADO (my SR60) with a lot less treble and more mid bass. The mids are almost equally forward. To put it another way, the HD650 and SR60 seem from the same family, but tuned differently and the DT880 seems like a different beast altogether.

Again, that impression seems weird... Is it?

yes that would constitute weird in 'er these parts atleast. infact me thinks u mite be one of the few special ones that thinks a HD650 & SR60 are in anyway similar 'ceptin both are headphones with sounds coming thru when plug'd to a source.

good to be unique though. LOL

Quote:
Especially for bright/poorly recorded CDs, the HD 650s smooth nonaggressive presentation work wonders.

x3! the 650s are my go-to cans for less than stellar material esp lossy pop crap - which begs the question of why im listening to crap in the 1st pls. LOL. regardless i 'feel' ya man.

Jun 1, 2011 at 11:27 PM Post #84 of 88
I just upgraded my cable and it made a noticeable improvement in imaging and the music feels more present and less laid back now.  I bought the JenaLabs cryo 18awg cable from ALO and it has really brought my 650's to life!

http://aloaudio.com/alo-audio-18g-jenalabscryo-6-foot-headphone-cable-sennheiser-ch-s4.html

Jun 2, 2011 at 5:30 AM Post #86 of 88
Congrats! Thats a gorgeous cable! Please elaborate on your findings, I've been a cable junkie for the HD580/600/650 series for years and it seems nobody wants to believe me!

Quote:
I just upgraded my cable and it made a noticeable improvement in imaging and the music feels more present and less laid back now.  I bought the JenaLabs cryo 18awg cable from ALO and it has really brought my 650's to life!

http://aloaudio.com/alo-audio-18g-jenalabscryo-6-foot-headphone-cable-sennheiser-ch-s4.html

Jun 2, 2011 at 6:53 AM Post #87 of 88

Quote:

Good point.  The HD650 can benefit notably from a compatible re-cable.  For me, the RAL "Paradise Cryo Silver" worked very well by "brightening" and "energizing" the headphones' stock cable sound.

Sep 26, 2011 at 3:22 PM Post #88 of 88
I have a feeling the genre of music has a role in peoples answer to this question.

I've tried both 600 and 650 and the choice between the two depended on the music playing.
- Any alternative/fast rock the 600 sounded better to me (although lacking in some puncy bass imo)
- Electronica/Techno/Drum&Bass the 650 definitely sounded better to me (The bass is great and the mids nice and clear for anything electronic)

But actually I have since got rid of both because whilst the 650 was alright for half of the music I listen to, all my alternative rock sounded subdued and not at all engaging, just too much emphasis on any slower drumming drowning out all important (for me) vocals and guitars.

Obviously this is all personal opinion so perhaps people believe the 650 are the best headphones for alternative and fast rock but in my eyes they really wern't.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back