Why is McDonald's Coke so good!?
Feb 27, 2006 at 5:25 AM Post #46 of 70
It's been covered, but I'm pretty sure McDonald's simply takes better care in the QC department with regards to their soda fountains. There are really only 5 variables...the quality of the water, the quantity of syrup, the amount of carbonation, the cleanliness of the machines, and the temperature it's served at. McDonald's simply does it right. I particularly like the high amount of carbonation they put into their drinks .... it helps wash out the greasy aftertaste from the fries. The worst fountain pop I've ever had was at a Rax's hamburger place near Pittsburgh, where the high sulphur content in the water instantly flattened the Coke ( Pepsi, actually) and added a nasty aftertaste. I had them replace my drink 3 times until they confessed that that was their problem.

Each bottler/canner of Coke deals with the same variables. And I'm pretty sure Canada does not use cane sugar. We phased it out in the early 80's when the U.S. did. Apparently it saves the bottlers huge amounts of money. I recently tried to track down some sugar cane Coke on the net, and apparently now even some of Mexico's bottlers are switching to Fructose for cost savings. I've also been reading about Fructose and although I can't say it's true for a fact, some people are saying something about Fructose being processed differently by the body than natural sugars, and there's suspicion that this difference could be a leading cause of the growing increase in diabetes and obesity.

Getting back to cane sugar Coke, I've also read that a certain amount of cane sugar Coke is specially labelled and sold during Passover in some Jewish markets. Something about corn products not being allowed during Passover? When is Passover, because I intend to check into it? I find today's Coke out of cans and plastic bottles to be more syrupy or oily tasting (leaves a film in your mouth which could have something to do with the Fructose and amount of carbonation) than the glass bottled, cane sugar Coke I grew up with.

But I agree...these days, McDonald's Coke tastes best.

Feb 27, 2006 at 6:06 AM Post #47 of 70
Again, "Mexican" coke is not the answer, it's cane sugar coke that is the sweet stuff. Not all Mexican coke is made with cane sugar (much to my disappointment.) I've also had some Mexican cane sugar Pepsi that tasted very nice. Blasphemy, I know, but cane sugar Pepsi is better than sucrose/fructose Coke. The carbonation level may very well be lower than what you get at a fast food joint that skimps on syrup and has a higher fizzy ratio.

Feb 27, 2006 at 7:24 AM Post #48 of 70
As a former fast food employee, I can say that the McDonald's softdrink machines are far more advanced than those used at other fast food places.

With all that computerized equipment, I'm guessing Mcdonald's can control the water/CO2/syrup ratio better.

Woops, I guess mbriant explains what I'm trying to hint at better.

Anyways, Kansas City has a chain of gas stations called Quik Trip which is my favorite place to get fountain drinks. The machines have signs on them "100% filtered water" or something to that effect. Good enuf for me. Their carbonated beverages always seem to be mouth-tinglingly carbonated, me likee.

Feb 27, 2006 at 11:46 AM Post #51 of 70
What are you talking about? it tastes like crap, here in UK anyway. It's like a cheap knockoff of Coca-Cola the real deal. It takes like 50% Coca Cola and 50% water to me. But I don't goto McDonald's anymore since about 2 years ago, hate the food.

Feb 27, 2006 at 12:18 PM Post #52 of 70
Quote:

Originally Posted by HD-5000
Anyways, Kansas City has a chain of gas stations called Quik Trip which is my favorite place to get fountain drinks. .

Yeap, Quick Trip is pretty good when it comes to fountain. For a while, I was addicted to Roosterbooster/Moutain Dew mixes.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mbriant
It's been covered, but I'm pretty sure McDonald's simply takes better care in the QC department

Perhaps the explanation is that simple. It is amazing that more do not follow Mc'D's lead, or maybe they try.

Quote:

Originally Posted by KYTGuy
Does this help

Of course, thanks for taking the time to share that.

Feb 27, 2006 at 4:01 PM Post #53 of 70
A littl O/T but today's Toronto Sun newspaper is running an article about pop drinking being on the increase...particularly with girls as they get older. Milk consumption which they need for bone development during their growing stage to minimize future osteoporosis, drops considerably while sugared pop consumption increases dramatically, leading to obesity.

Then, at the bottom of the very same page there's a half page advertisement advising everyone to check tomorrow's paper for a coupon for a free can of Pepsi ... no strings attached.

May 15, 2006 at 7:38 AM Post #55 of 70
I totally agree with the original post, Coke from McDeeznuts is THE BEST! And not just my local one, but anywhere in the world! I remember being in EU when I was a kid and going to McD's with the fam and the coke tasted EXACTLY THE SAME! I was way surprised. It has held true, I think I've had maybe 2 in my lifetime that weren't good. When I do go to McDeezels (which is hardly ever, I'm a BK guy), the only thing worth getting is the original cheeseburger, fries of course, and a Coke, with the occasional Big Mac. Also has sentimental value, since my Gma would take me there...
biggrin.gif

May 15, 2006 at 3:18 PM Post #56 of 70
Quote:

Originally Posted by daycart1
Have you seen the movie, "Supersize me"?

There is no accounting for taste. I think the best Coke is from glass bottles--almost impossible to find nowadays. The next best is in the cans from the Atlanta plant (last time I checked--I usually do the diet stuff now where there isn't much difference).

You should look on eBay for Coke made in Mexico. It's still made with real sugar there unlike here. One of the guys here bought a whole bunch of the small glass bottles off of eBay. Delicious.

MCd's Coke tastes like shiat. Too much syrup. I used to have to calibrate the machine at the restaurant I worked at. Should be 2 screws... syrup and Co2. Might as well drink Pepsi. Just my 2 cents.

May 15, 2006 at 5:07 PM Post #58 of 70
I agree with daycart1 that the best tasting coke are the ones sold in glass bottles. The local grocery store near where I live still carries them and yes they're a tad bit expensive. Second would be from a soda fountain with the proper syrup to carbonation mixture ratio. Not sure if the current hobbleskirt coke glass bottles still have the state in which they were bottle in cast into the bottle.

May 15, 2006 at 5:37 PM Post #59 of 70
I think soda/pop on tap can be a heavenly drink if its mixed and done rite. When I was little hanging out at my parents lounge I would press the soda button on the tap gun and run the sode in the sink for a good min or two..then pour some in a glass with a good mix of ice...oh the heaven! I love the feeling when your drinking it and you just want more and more..then the feeling stops when you stop.

At my Grocery store I looked at the coke bottles and they cost $7.29 a six pack, made with corn syrup, not sure the size in ounces though..
seems to me just a knock off of the real sugar mexican days of the coke bottles.

I have this ice maker on my fidge that crushs the ice also, I find crushed ice out of a can of coke to be almost as good to the tap. I guess maybe the crushed ice makes an taste difference? maybe ... maybe not
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back