Why is McDonald's Coke so good!?
Feb 26, 2006 at 11:59 PM Post #31 of 70
[size=medium]Mexican Coke Dissapointment![/size]

After lurking head-fi for a while and reading about how good Mexican coke is, I decided to procure a six glass pack today from a local Mexican grocer. I was so excited to reach home with my special package. Patiently the coke was placed in the freeze for 45 minutes until the bottles were nice and frosty.

First taste impression: It is flat. The amount of carbonation is much less than I am used to. Is this normal for bottled Mexican coke? As a result of the flatness, the taste did not pop in my mouth. The liquid swilled down without leaving that perfect ahhhhhhh effect.

I will drink this bottle and hope my taste buds burn in for a second run tomorrow. But so far, this is not even close to McDonald's quality.

Feb 27, 2006 at 12:16 AM Post #32 of 70
Did you check the production date and lot number on the Mexican Coke to verify authenticity? It's rumoured that Mexican Coke has been heavily counterfeited in recent years due its high desirability.

Feb 27, 2006 at 12:31 AM Post #33 of 70
i suppose now would be a bad time to post that the ice in your McDonald's coke has more fecal matter than the toilet water at your McDonald's?

eek.gif

Feb 27, 2006 at 12:32 AM Post #34 of 70
Quote:

Originally Posted by VicAjax
i suppose now would be a bad time to post that the ice in your McDonald's coke has more fecal matter than the toilet water at your McDonald's?

eek.gif

Evidence to back this up?

Feb 27, 2006 at 12:35 AM Post #35 of 70
Quote:

Originally Posted by VicAjax

eek.gif

And your toothbrush has fecal matter on it as well. I'd also be willing to bet that the soda taps are dirtier than the ice.
wink.gif

Feb 27, 2006 at 12:39 AM Post #36 of 70
Quote:

Originally Posted by majid
That's because it is gray market imported from Mexico or Canada, where they don't have protectionist tariffs (instigated by the lobbies of Texas sugarcane growers and Midwest corn processors like Archer Daniels Midland), and thus they can afford to use real sugar in their soda instead of corn syrup. The US price of sugar is about twice the world market price.

Yeah there's a local sandwich shop that has a very large collection of soft drinks on hand. For a while they had special bottlings of Coke and Dr. Pepper made with real sugar. SO much better. The owner of the place goes on roadtrips to little local bottling companies and buys their interesting concoctions. Tommyknocker's Almond Creme soda is pure heaven but he hasn't stocked it in a while.

Feb 27, 2006 at 1:43 AM Post #38 of 70
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rock&Roll Ninja
Its a psychosomatic reaction. Your brain is basically telling your digestive system "Hey! This isn't real food, but I'm eating it anyway." Then your intestines and liver are like "Awww Crap."

lol

next experiment: mix maple syrup into soda.

i thought some european coke supopsed to be better becuase the use real sugar instead of corn syrup. almost every food exist in america have corn syrup now.

Feb 27, 2006 at 1:56 AM Post #39 of 70
Quote:

Thanks for the link. The test sample of the student's project was a grand total of five restaurants, none of them specifically identified as McDonald's. Plus, the news article said "70 percent of the time, ice from fast food restaurants was dirtier than toilet water" which is not possible, given that with only five restaurants, each test sample was equal to 20 percent of the total.

It was not specified as to how many of the test sample were from self serve machines and how many were from drive throughs, and what was meant by 'self-serve' (scoops or filled bins that you hold your cup under and push a lever), which would bear on whether the restaurant employees were dirty, or just their customers.

As stated in the article "Toilet water is also surprisingly bacteria-free, because it comes from sanitized city water supplies." If the bacteria samples were taken from the rim, rather than from the freshly supplied water of a flush toilet, the e. coli presence undoubtedly would have been higher. Additionally, it is necessary to have something to compare this information to, like how much e. coli is in the normal household ice cube tray, and how much e. coli is present in typical home cooked food.

Sorry to harp on this, but when people throw out unsupported assertions I must challenge them. I'm not defending McDonalds or any other fast food chain, but I want to know the truth rather than having rumors metastasize into fact.

Feb 27, 2006 at 2:10 AM Post #40 of 70
In my teens, in the 70s, I was the sweat equity half owner of a Carousel Ice Cream franchise store...as such, I got to play with all the equipment. I found that the machines for Coke at the time used a pressure regulator and tank system to move the syrup to the proportioning valve...they used a critical flow orifice to regulate the amount of syrup. I drilled out the orifice till it tasted right for me. I had a scad of customers always commenting that my shop made "the best Coke on all of Panama City's Beach". Made a lot of money in that store/job those two summers.

Water quality may also be a clue - many businesses are using R/O (reverse Osmosis water purification to get nearly perfect pure water. I know it makes a difference in the tea I make here at home. I also filter it post R/O unit, through an Activated Charcoal Bed.

The proportioning valves and system may have better (or Worse) water pressure to make the mix a different proportion. IIRC, the water pressure was unregulated.

The amount of carbon dioxide gas that is dissolved in the water may also make a difference - the more CO2, the more bitter (carbolic or is it carbonic? - chemistry is a long long disused part of my brain - acid) you taste, so more carbonation would result in a less sweet taste, as the sugar is to counteract the sour/bitter taste of the acid found in all carbonated drinks. Those of you who have tasted "Two Cents Plain" or seltzer water know what I am speaking of. So, the colder it was, the more CO2 it could hold - this means that the serving temperature is also critical to the taste.

I cannot say anything to the matter of Fructose vs Sucrose differences.

Does this help?

Feb 27, 2006 at 2:17 AM Post #41 of 70
Quote:

Originally Posted by virometal
[size=medium]Mexican Coke Dissapointment![/size]

After lurking head-fi for a while and reading about how good Mexican coke is, I decided to procure a six glass pack today from a local Mexican grocer. I was so excited to reach home with my special package.

lol...I can totally picture that.

Feb 27, 2006 at 3:16 AM Post #43 of 70
KYTGuy, what you said makes perfect sense. I can understand now why different fountains have different qualities of soft drinks.
Personally, I don't think I ever noticed the Coke at McD's tasting any different than anywhere else. I've had some very weak Coke from gas station minimarts, but that has been the only difference I have noticed.

Feb 27, 2006 at 4:41 AM Post #44 of 70
Quote:

Originally Posted by Idsynchrono_24
biggrin.gif

That is the single best thing I have read all day... I think other countries outside of the US still sell their cokes inside of glass bottles. A lot of the Asian countries do I believe. Also the comment about the cane sugar vs. corn syrup applies too, I think coke tastes better from other countries then it does presently here in the US.

Catch you later,
Id

I can't comment on anything outside of the US and Canada, but Canadian coke is indeed incredibly superior to its American counterpart. Our Mountain Dew is rather lacking, however...

Feb 27, 2006 at 4:52 AM Post #45 of 70
Quote:

Originally Posted by virometal
First taste impression: It is flat. The amount of carbonation is much less than I am used to. Is this normal for bottled Mexican coke? As a result of the flatness, the taste did not pop in my mouth. The liquid swilled down without leaving that perfect ahhhhhhh effect.

It is less carbonated than US coke, but I find its sweeter and tastier and like it better than US coke.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back