Why is everyone trying to get rid of their AKG701?
Sep 9, 2011 at 7:16 PM Post #181 of 192

Quote:
The only problem is normal adapters will not fit, you will have to make a dual to single 8dop adapter that will fit in the headphone output's Dip8 socket. Because it pretty close to the 6.3 output connector. I tried OPA2107AP,OPA2111AM and LT10364 in the Fiio E9. Try some of those or some other kind and see which ones you like.I was gonna use 2x LT1028ACN8 my self but the adapter I had didnt fit. I also wondered if a OPA-Earth would fit on it side in it.

Edit: the Screws on the E9 needs a Torx T5, the Plus screw driver on the rear is screwed into the pcb RCA connector of the pcb it self. Also you may have to use  a angle tool to lift the opamp out if you cant movve the E7 connector board and dip out the way to pull the pcb out to get full access to the E9 pcb.

"Discrete" opamps will require extension leads as the case looks too small for them.  Did you try this adapter?  It looks just barely slim enough on the sides.  Quite sturdy and well-made, I might add.  I have two of them.
Edit: Even with extensions, it looks pretty tight for more than two of those bulky "discrete" opamps (not to say it is impossible).

Sep 9, 2011 at 7:23 PM Post #182 of 192
I saw that on ebay but forgot one that small exist. But that small adapter will work. I just gotta get ahold of cash to get it and I be all set. Yea I sure the distree will fit some how. Tho it would had been better of the casing was bigger and top just came off like the matrix M amp. It would be so much easier.

Because right now that dip with the E7 board attach to it is the most annoying part of the amp when your trying to install opamps in it. I still havent fiqure out how to remove it. like they sound how did in the pictures.

Sep 9, 2011 at 9:33 PM Post #183 of 192
Well, I'm kind glad that there is a general consensus that the 701/702s are rubbish, 'cause I got mine (K702) used at a bargain price and couldn't be happier. They're at least third hand, passed on from one 'unhappy' lad to another (sold once on Headfi, I was told), who thankfully spent many unhappy hours breaking them in for me, until they've become the very sweet sounding phones that they are now.

Sep 9, 2011 at 10:06 PM Post #184 of 192
The 701/702 is like many of the HiFiMAN headphones, many listeners give up on them early in the game because they don't want to hassle with or aren't aware of their higher amping requirements.

Sep 10, 2011 at 1:38 PM Post #185 of 192
I owned both, the K701 and K601, still prefer older AKGs even though they lack resolution compared to the K/Q70X/601 family.
You might know me from threads frantically raging about the Q701 which I described as a new color version of the K702.

Same driver, anything is the same (driver .etc)... so far so good, but the grill on the outside has the "Q" blocking some holes plus, which was new to me until recently, has a piece of foam (like the K601) underneath it.
This adds some body making it a tad different sounding to the human ear.

Compared to the fully open K701, the Q701 should be called half open... but meh.

tl;dr Q701 slightly more body than K701/2... and I'm afraid to admit this...

Sep 10, 2011 at 3:54 PM Post #186 of 192

Quote:
Well, I'm kind glad that there is a general consensus that the 701/702s are rubbish, 'cause I got mine (K702) used at a bargain price and couldn't be happier. They're at least third hand, passed on from one 'unhappy' lad to another (sold once on Headfi, I was told), who thankfully spent many unhappy hours breaking them in for me, until they've become the very sweet sounding phones that they are now.

There is no such consensus, just a lot of haters in this thread. 

But all this hate is beneficial for those looking to score a good used K70x series for sure.

Sep 10, 2011 at 4:03 PM Post #187 of 192

Quote:
There isnt nothing wrong with suggesting it, it just people judge it for its price and not how it performs. I seen it a few times around this forum. That people judge it because it affordable. But I betting if it cost more then what it cost now people wouldn't be so quick to judge it. The only reason i got the E9 is because of it performs for the price and I was on a budget. I enjoying it even more now because I finally got around to getting the tools needed to open it up and change its opamps.

This is the problem with our hobby in general. The truth is that most people don't have golden ears (myself included) and making audio comparisons is prone to much more error than say visual comparisons because you can't lay sound side by side to compare at the same time (unlike putting two photos beside each other) and audio memory is much less tangible than visual memory. While you can easily hear glaring errors between two pieces of gear that are performing on signfiicantly different levels,  in this hobby most differences are marginal or smaller than most people make out especially after you go past a certain level of performance.

Thus from my observations, what colors most perceptions is price and hype. Rarer items gain "unobtanium" status and thus are especially pleasing-sounding. Pricier items are rarer by the law of economy and all automatically get a slant of "better sounding."  All you need to do is give it a nice shiny exterior and people will equate the visually-pleasing object with the rare-looking price range and conclude it sounds better. At this point all it needs to do is "not sound like crap" and people will say it is the best sounding thing since sliced bread (bread has no sound, though).

It's a funny hobby we are in, when in truth you can get things like the E9 that perform unbelievably well despite its "cheap" status. It has some faults for sure, like the noisy scratchy pot, but if we're talking about its amping capabilities it is surely the real deal.

Sep 12, 2011 at 9:44 AM Post #188 of 192
I agree that price is not always the result of the music quality. But you get what you pay for is and old poverb. I also agree that money does buy quality. Us average guys looking for affordable high music quality do not have money to spend on second rate BS.  I rather pay more for somthing proving to be quality than save money taking a chance with less.  But you will only relize the what you really wanted/needed when its already too late.  Life is a B.

Jan 22, 2012 at 1:34 AM Post #189 of 192
I just bought an older K400 EP for $90. Heck of deal for that price; although the K400 EP has even more difficult amping requirements than the K701. It sounds really nice out of my dsp-equalized realtek line out but will surely be much better with a dedicated home source in every area (especially bass).

I'd love to compare it with the K701, I've always wanted to hear it before I pass judgement on it.

Jan 22, 2012 at 5:54 AM Post #191 of 192
I don't like the K701 sound signature for music, but I loved them heavily for gaming. That soundstage paired up with Dolby Headphone turned me into a god mode-driven, destructive, rage-inducing, killing machine. Their overwhelming analytical sound signature makes them the bees knees for soundwhoring. They are also one of the most comfortable headphones ever, once your noggin gets used to the bumps (which didn't take me long at all). Greatly preferred them over the very popular AD700 for the same purpose.

Jan 22, 2012 at 6:49 AM Post #192 of 192

Quote:
I don't like the K701 sound signature for music, but I loved them heavily for gaming. That soundstage paired up with Dolby Headphone turned me into a god mode-driven, destructive, rage-inducing, killing machine. Their overwhelming analytical sound signature makes them the bees knees for soundwhoring. They are also one of the most comfortable headphones ever, once your noggin gets used to the bumps (which didn't take me long at all). Greatly preferred them over the very popular AD700 for the same purpose.

+1, except i like them for music too, but prefer my other headphones due to their analytical nature.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back