Why I love being a noob
Jan 25, 2011 at 8:29 PM Post #16 of 38

Quote:
Quote:
I was insinuating the daily influx of the same buying advice threads that ask the same damn questions.

I think what I find more annoying than the threads themselves, are the crap responses and the blatant disregard of what the OP was looking for. Like people looking for huge bass, and people come in with responses for headphones with notoriously weak bass. 

I no longer go into the main forums for this very reason. What to buy for xx amount of money.

Quote:
I wasn't referring to that 1000 post spam thread Bob. I was insinuating the daily influx of the same buying advice threads that ask the same damn questions.

Well, the mods keep closing threads we (even mildy) goof around in. It's ridiculous.

Jan 25, 2011 at 8:38 PM Post #17 of 38
they let you goof around pretty long, I know mods who would close them earlier

you had your fun, and there's nothing wrong with that actually, but they didn't close too early

Jan 25, 2011 at 8:49 PM Post #19 of 38
What, didn't know he's banned

Jan 25, 2011 at 10:07 PM Post #20 of 38

I'm not even going to talk about it, kboe's still banned for questioning the man.

No, he wasn't.

Normally, I'd remove a post like this. But I - and we - are tired of accusations like this.

People get banned for repeatedly breaking the rules. Warnings are given. We do not discuss the specifics of each ban, but I assure you that we documented what happened.

Further, we close threads when they turn into a meaningless circlejerk for a few members. The point of this place is to exchange information about audio and music. It's not here to post a bunch of inside jokes and threadcrap. Post count contests aren't cute, either.

You'll notice that even here, a perfectly good thread from a sincere person has been derailed.

And if anyone has questions about policies, etc., then PM a mod or admin. Don't start a thread, just ask one of us.

Jan 25, 2011 at 10:28 PM Post #21 of 38
this-is-why-we-cant-have-nice-things.jpg

Jan 25, 2011 at 10:50 PM Post #23 of 38

What is that supposed to mean?

If you want to make jokes with your friends, and add no substance, do it somewhere else on the Internet.

Head-Fi gets almost a million hits a month. People are coming here to find information and learn. They don't come here to see you and others spam and troll. Like I said, if you want to spam and troll, do it somewhere else.

Further, if someone breaks the rules then is politely asked not to, then breaks the rules again, followed by another warning, and yet continues to do the same, they get banned.

If I haven't made myself clear, derailing threads with nonsense and posting sarcastic photos are exactly what I'm talking about. Stop it.

Jan 25, 2011 at 10:57 PM Post #24 of 38
Anyway, moving things back along here, this thread has done exactly what the OP intended for me. Remembering what it was like when I first started coming to Head-Fi has me waxing all nostalgic. 
wink.gif

I started lurking almost six months ago, and even though I knew a fair amount about sound (I was already an audiophile), there's a lot of jargon that's headphone-specific. I also didn't think how much of a difference different amps could make, nor seemingly a thousand other things. I've since absorbed the lingo and I think I speak it pretty fluently. I've also tried a few different models from a fairly broad range, and I resolved not to join up here until I found at least one I could live with. I ended up with a DT880, and now an SRH440.

The first few times here were overwhelming to say the least. At the time I was trying to decide between the SRH440 and a headphone I had just heard mention of, the M50. HeadRoom loved it, and so evidently did Head-Fi. I was all set to love it, too. It didn't happen, and I kept coming back to Head-Fi while waiting for my SR225i to arrive. I read a lot of enthusiastic reviews and even went through the entirety that headphone's appreciation thread. When it finally arrived I was disappointed with it out of the box, but it grew on me over the next two weeks. Ultimately, though, I had to wave goodbye (I still miss it).

Three months later, I come to this place every day (sometimes I think too often) and it's a joy to be here. Welcome to Head-Fi (and sorry about your wallet!).

Jan 25, 2011 at 11:02 PM Post #25 of 38
Jan 25, 2011 at 11:08 PM Post #26 of 38

Quote:

No, he wasn't.Normally, I'd remove a post like this. But I - and we - are tired of accusations like this.People get banned for repeatedly breaking the rules. Warnings are given. We do not discuss the specifics of each ban, but I assure you that we documented what happened.Further, we close threads when they turn into a meaningless circlejerk for a few members. The point of this place is to exchange information about audio and music. It's not here to post a bunch of inside jokes and threadcrap. Post count contests aren't cute, either.You'll notice that even here, a perfectly good thread from a sincere person has been derailed.And if anyone has questions about policies, etc., then PM a mod or admin. Don't start a thread, just ask one of us.

I appreciate your reply, and you have made a valid point. 

Jan 25, 2011 at 11:15 PM Post #29 of 38

Quote:
Anyway, moving things back along here, this thread has done exactly what the OP intended for me. Remembering what it was like when I first started coming to Head-Fi has me waxing all nostalgic. 
wink.gif

I started lurking almost six months ago, and even though I knew a fair amount about sound (I was already an audiophile), there's a lot of jargon that's headphone-specific. I also didn't think how much of a difference different amps could make, nor seemingly a thousand other things. I've since absorbed the lingo and I think I speak it pretty fluently. I've also tried a few different models from a fairly broad range, and I resolved not to join up here until I found at least one I could live with. I ended up with a DT880, and now an SRH440.

The first few times here were overwhelming to say the least. At the time I was trying to decide between the SRH440 and a headphone I had just heard mention of, the M50. HeadRoom loved it, and so evidently did Head-Fi. I was all set to love it, too. It didn't happen, and I kept coming back to Head-Fi while waiting for my SR225i to arrive. I read a lot of enthusiastic reviews and even went through the entirety that headphone's appreciation thread. When it finally arrived I was disappointed with it out of the box, but it grew on me over the next two weeks. Ultimately, though, I had to wave goodbye (I still miss it).

Three months later, I come to this place every day (sometimes I think too often) and it's a joy to be here. Welcome to Head-Fi (and sorry about your wallet!).

funny, when i was still only lurking everybody was making noise about the Equation headphones... later on I register and started reading and such, i got me the denon Hp 700, but also the equation RP15, and now its one of my favorites, when im in the mood for some heavy bassy stuff.

FOTM can be a good thing, i believe,

Jan 25, 2011 at 11:39 PM Post #30 of 38
I remember when I was a noob too. I remember spending all my time here for like 9 weeks reading up on all the different DIY amps, trying to convince myself to spend money on an object I couldn't hear beforehand. I'd read through many threads trying to decide what I wanted. I'm not sure I made the right decision, so I'm still digging around the forums. I really love the DIY forums here.

But now that I am relatively well versed in the DIY community, I find myself spending less and less time here. The only thing keeping myself tied to this site is the community. The people here are the nicest people I've known on the internet. I can't even tell you how much help I've received here from other users.

But I guess the "newness" of this site has worn off, as I've read through most of the threads here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back