Why Head-Fi is Dangerous...
Jan 10, 2011 at 11:13 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

FlatNine

500+ Head-Fier
Last week, I logged on to head-fi after an absence of 5 months or so. I had just purchased an iPod Touch 64GB and a pair of Ety ER4P's. In the last week, I ordered a pair of Yuin PK1's. As if that wasn't enough, I also pulled the trigger and ordered a Cowon D2+. This place is dangerous! Must .... stay .... away....

Jan 10, 2011 at 11:30 AM Post #2 of 16
I came here looking for advice on which IEMs to buy, now I'm also looking for a player and maybe a portable amp...

Damnd you, Head-Fi, damn you!
mad.gif

Jan 10, 2011 at 11:47 AM Post #3 of 16

Quote:
I came here looking for advice on which IEMs to buy, now I'm also looking for a player and maybe a portable amp...

Damnd you, Head-Fi, damn you!
mad.gif

I'm hoping that the D2+ SQ sounds as good to me as some of the rave reviews I've read here, in which case I'm selling my new iPod Touch 64gb. I've got to subsidize these purchases.

Jan 10, 2011 at 12:00 PM Post #5 of 16

Quote:
I didn't think it was substantially better than the iPod (especially not the new iPod touch), and not enough to justify the lousier UI

I would even be happy if the SQ was equal. I love the battery life, the native FLAC, and the hard disk mode cuz I hate iTunes. It's a resource hog! Oh yeah, I don't have to have both FLAC and ALAC on my PC.

Jan 10, 2011 at 12:27 PM Post #6 of 16

ahh fair enough, in which case i think you would be very satisfied.

am a huge fan of the iPod touch/ iPhone interface though, i've all my music on an ipod classic and it takes ages to look for a song sometimes and i'm almost tempted to start using my iphone instead.

Quote:
Quote:
I didn't think it was substantially better than the iPod (especially not the new iPod touch), and not enough to justify the lousier UI

I would even be happy if the SQ was equal. I love the battery life, the native FLAC, and the hard disk mode cuz I hate iTunes. It's a resource hog! Oh yeah, I don't have to have both FLAC and ALAC on my PC.

Jan 12, 2011 at 3:30 AM Post #7 of 16
Keeping up with the Jones family gets tougher when they consist of thousands of headphone/aduio fanatics from all over the world. 

This place makes me want to buy more and more and more... and then some more after that.  My wallet isn't really hurting yet, but if I stick around long enough, I'm sure it will.

Jan 12, 2011 at 3:49 AM Post #8 of 16
The thing about ipods/ iphones beside their great UI and design is that they can pretty much always remain a part of your system, with additional equipment like LODs/digital transports they sound very good. I want to try out other players but too bad! I ripped most my CDs in apple lossless so im stuck with itunes semi-happily.

Quote:

am a huge fan of the iPod touch/ iPhone interface though, i've all my music on an ipod classic and it takes ages to look for a song sometimes and i'm almost tempted to start using my iphone instead.

Quote:
Quote:

Jan 12, 2011 at 4:18 AM Post #9 of 16
Just under a year ago, I wondered why <anyone> would need multiple pairs of headphones.

I didn't believe in amps, even after trying a "nice" portable one.

...Flash Forward to 2011:

Now I say "DAC" like a certain duck says "A-FLAC".  (Oh? That's a file-type?!!?)

Also, I "have to have" an amp for my Grado HF-2's after hearing the difference with one.  (When they're even "easy to drive"? 
blink.gif
)

Wait, I'm the organizer for the Bay Area meet?  Whoa.  <Cue the Talking Heads.>

"How did I get here?"

Jan 12, 2011 at 4:26 AM Post #10 of 16
I've spent more money on portable kit since joining Head-fi than on anything other than rent, food and beer.

Which is as it should be.  God bless this place.

Jan 12, 2011 at 5:07 AM Post #13 of 16
Quote:
As an atheist, I think Albert was onto something.

Voldemort, Dawkins, Dennett:  More reason that Head-Fi is Dangerous?!!?

Jan 12, 2011 at 5:38 AM Post #14 of 16
I have headphones still in unopened boxes while yet more are on the way. Curse this place.

Jan 12, 2011 at 9:23 AM Post #15 of 16

I ripped everything to FLAC, then convert to ALAC for the iPod. I have to maintain two music trees. I'm pretty sure dbPowerAmp has an ALAC to FLAC converter in case you wanted to get unstuck.

Quote:
The thing about ipods/ iphones beside their great UI and design is that they can pretty much always remain a part of your system, with additional equipment like LODs/digital transports they sound very good. I want to try out other players but too bad! I ripped most my CDs in apple lossless so im stuck with itunes semi-happily.

Quote:

Quote:
Quote:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back