Why have more than a few pairs of headphones?
Jan 13, 2023 at 1:21 PM Post #31 of 33
Different use cases....
I listen to different genres and feel privileged to have favourite headphones to suit (for my ears; YMMV).
All terminated with 4.4mm balanced cables (except the Fostex).

Meze 109 Pro - open with wide sound stage and pinpoint imaging. Suits most genres, but electronic bass sounds better than acoustic bass. These are getting the most use right now.
Audeze LCD-XC (Bubinga) - closed with very good isolation; suits most genres; a "bass cocoon". Serious listening sessions when in my recliner, with head supported. Current reference headphones :)
Focal Elegia (Stellia Limited Pads) - closed with good isolation; acoustic bass sounds taught and "woody". Jazz and some pop. Good with Netflix movies (Cayin RU6 from my iPad).
Oppo PM3 (sheepskin pads) - closed. The rectangular shape of the cups make these the best for in bed listening as there is less pressure on the backs of the cups against your pillow.
Fostex T50RP (lots of mods and sheepskin pads) - with a long custom cable for listening to TV (Onkyo A-9110 amp), without disturbing anyone else. Pretty good isolation.

Meze Rai Solo - out for a walk with my FiiO M11 Pro. These suit my preference for bass heavy music; suits most genres.
Shure SE 535 (red, with Comply long foam tips) - my noise blockers for in flight listening.

Jan 14, 2023 at 11:17 AM Post #32 of 33
I have 7 headphones, 3 IEMs. I use some of them but not all at the moment.

My Fostex TH-X00 is my main headphones for home (sitting at my desk, listening to music or watching something) . I use my Ultrasone Hfi-780 for gaming. My B&W Px7 S2 is my office headset for music and calls. I have the Beats Studio 3 which were a gift, and use those when I walk my dogs and the weather is good. In cold, rainy or snowy weather, I use my Cambridge Audio Melomania 1+ IEMs for walking the dogs.

Currently I am not using my Denon D2000, as they need minor repairs which I haven't gotten around to doing just yet. Once I do, they are what I use for gaming. My AKG K240 MKII (my oldest headphones) sound like they now have channel imbalance. My Beyerdynamic Dt880 600ohms, I need a better amp than what I currently have (which I will ve getting soon). And then I have the Mee Audio Pinnacle P1 (which do sound great) and Sennheiser Ie80 (which need new cables). With the IEMs I find I'm drifting more towards using headphones. I could sell those I suppose.

In general I just hate selling things online. We have a "garage sale" at work and few audiophiles at work so I could try there (that's actually where I got my DT-880).

Jan 15, 2023 at 1:59 PM Post #33 of 33
It all depends on usage scenario. When I need headphones as a reference standard/ music / movies , when I want to hear all the frequencies in the movie or music -then i use OG HE-6. But this apply only for home. They are practically unusable outside. When I need phones for everything, outside related, like sport(inline skating) - than hd25 alu fits me well, as they are practically made to last forever, same for using them just as hps for travel/walks. When i need headphones for falling asleep , than Sony mdr cd 1700 suits me best, providing me an amazing sound quality and relaxing music experience in the same time.)). So shortly : usage cases make me keep at least 3 heaphones.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back