Why don't the AKG K271's get more love? + AKG K240 and AKG K271 chart comparison( page 2)
Jul 27, 2013 at 3:33 AM Post #16 of 27
                                                         AKG 271 VS AKG 240 COMPARISON CHART

HEADPHONE & SETUP STATUS                                             
AKG K271 and AKG K240 BOTH have 200 hours( burned in with pink noise, with white noise, and with 2 frequency sweeps) and BOTH have mesh inside ear cup taken off, also have the pleather or leather ear pads on ( more comfy to me and fit better, also it sounds better) being run through my red wine audio cassabria, my woo audio WA6, my ipod classic 5 gen, my macbook, my ipod  with a LOD and the behringer  HA400,  and my Audio engine D1. ALL file formats have been converted to AIFF 16 bit 44KHZ (due to being the highest quality format that is accepted by my iPod classic 5gen and iPhone 4 and iPhone 5, iPod touch and also iPad)

AKG 271's PRO LIST
1# more control overall, specifically in lower end impulse
2# more broadband dynamics (guitars and vocals are not supposed to rumble?!)
3# better imaging
4# better separation (the arpeggio, seems so striped down and raw, every pluck of the string is so isolated and alone)
5# better soundstage overall ( how did these people get into my house?)
6# better low end extension( how low can you go?)
7# better resolution 
8# better timbre quality ( so rough, and textured, i can hear the velocity of him hitting that dry bright snare and that grist in that brush drum)
9# more revealing in midranges ( what a raspy tone of hers, i can hear her exhaling)
10# more audible throughout the FR spectrum
11# more Agility 
12# more detail (i think i just heard the split of the lips of that tuba player hmmm)
13# better transparency
14# alot more "vocal" or " striking" in the mid and upper mid range ( just look at her belting it, WOAH)
15# more clinical or sterile ( never thought i never notice his fingers slide across the strings of that guitar THAT many times)
16# more "organized" if you will, less cluttered
17# more neutral
18# more balanced
19# better transient response overall( due to a more broadband dynamic range)
20# more evenly layered (everything plays at its own terms evenly, nothing gets focalized (fight for the spotlight) so nearly nothing gets buried in the mix, so nearly everything is coherent, audible, and so everything is concieved)
21# slightly more lush in the mid mid range, upper mid range, and highs (due to the less inflated and captivating bass, less thick ambience and less densely thick midrange, so one could focus more on mid ranges) 
22# more linear
23# more present sound across the FR spectrum
24# less coloured (no Crayola here buddy NONE)
25# more "Edge" 
26# more definition 
27# better vocal and instrument projection ( i'm blown away, seems like i felt the rush of wind bypassing me when she's belting it in my ears, wow what a ranged register)
28# more articulate 

AKG 240's PRO LIST
1#warmer (like tripling your blankets in winter next to a fire place) 
2#more tonal quality and full ness ( very throated and chesty, reminds me of my momma's chilli )
3# more ambience (contributes to sound stage, reverberation, as well as the midrange)
4# heavier bass impact ( a big " kick in the pants") can be loose and uncontrolled)
5# more "dense" or thick, chesty is the word
6# more resonant (due to the convenient open back design)
7# slightly sweeter ( better than ice cream)
8# more saturated or "richer" if you will
9# more subtle and unforced, ahh smooth and silky are the words( like laying in a hammock in fiji while your bitch get you some booze)
10# better reverberation (Dilidaydee..... Dili-oohdee..... Dileeldayhe, Dilio-ohhe, Dilidehe-hooooo......... Seatle yodel my fellow Hobo)

:POINT RESULTS:  
                                                       AKG 271 : 28 points: Winner
                                                       AKG 240 : 10   points: Loser                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                  

:RESULTS AND IMPRESSIONS:
I found the AKG 240's to be very musical, for it was warm, sweet, chesty and smooth midrange, with excellent bass impact. shows utmost quality in ambience and reverberations, being a open back it is BOUND to have this advantage. The tonal quality was very saturated and rich and was just silky smooth very subtle and nicely laid back, but tends to be disorganized, lazy and lethargic and a tad veil compared to the 271's and the overall "presence" of all ranges is just not as available as it's contemporary also it looses soundstage though, due to A lack of instrument separation and transparency and is too dense and too full and fat and cluttered at times, and the bass sadly tends to be loose and sometimes to over impulsive, further destroying distance and space ) the extra push in the upper mid bass response and ambient and reverb range further bury and mudify the mix a tad since it's attenuated a bit too much, it also is hard to focus on the upper register and mid ranges with this "bump" we should call  it and further captivates and buries ALOT of what we are looking for. I find the K271 to have a more lean clinical uncoloured and striking  and vocal presentation, timbre quality that "Attacks" you and utmost control

GRAPH OBSERVATIONS:
   As you can see it is attenuated approx. 10-15DB more in the 10-500hz ALOT MORE than the K271 further making it "muddier'' sounding and making the upper register less captivating than the lower register, thats the HUGE main difference  between these cans, and since the K271's OBVIOUSLY congest more (Due to it being a closed and the K240's are open) it will have a more controlled and striking presentation and will seem to have better resolution and definition and a more even and broadband dynamic range and shines its upper register alot more and timbre quality will be more noticed as well as having better quality
(open backs tend to lean towards lower and ambient and reverb frequencies making them alot more emphasized and tend to be more dynamic in those frequencies (10-500hz) as shown in the graph and will obviously make the upper and mid frequencies less noticeable further mudifying and burying the upper and mid frequencies in the mix)
:Note:frowning2:i have opened up both headphones) the although the K271's are closed they resonate a SIGNIFICANT amount due to having very Large un-dampened/uncovered resonation holes both for the bass cone and tweeter and due to it having a very LARGE resonation cavity, THATS why i think being closed is good enough, since it already resonates a **** load there is no need to make it open back and have be muddy and will make the resolution worse since you are making it resonate too much, it's also more balanced when closed and is bound to be less glued together making it better for imaging and instrument separation as you can see and further making it more audible throughout the FR range. Open back headphones Ideal when the headphone has damped/covered or small resonation holes and has a small resonation cavity, THAT is when it is ideal to make it an open back, like the AKG K70X 

:BACK TO RESULTS AND IMPRESSIONS: 
          But the 271 was still just as musical, meanwhile being Very proficient. I found it striking, patronizing, and while being sweet, having fine balance, being true with it's uncoloured sound, having utmost control and authoritative bass, with having excellent bass extension. Having a stunning broadband dynamic range, that oscillated with guitar phrasing, though in most cases considered "lean" or "thin", after it's pesky burn in, it felt throated and defined, I was and still simply am blown away by its vocal as well as its instrument projection, the clinical articulation and true timbre quality has my eyes gazing over this un appreciated headphone. Vocals were so coarse and showed its power and fine grist, the coarse and abrasive timbre quality   (2-10khz) was so pure, uncoloured, graceful, the word is real..... none the less this headphone is DEAD neutral in it's tracks. They also corroborated sweetness though it's tonal presentation, while being very saturated with rich lushness, funnily also being nice and lean, with having a concentratedly dense mid range that showed a nice distance, it has that constant bare boned focus and concentration in the midranges and just conveys pure power and everything seemed coherent across the FR spectrum.With limbo low authoritative bass with utmost control, that sweet AKG house sound and throated chesty mid range, fine tonality, A Unreal vocal presentation that was so defined and projected so quickly and powerfully, A broadband dynamic range, Agility and A powerful lighting fast and powerful transient response, that left no rock unturned when it came to careful oscillations and reverberations and every vibration/fluctuation will be so coherent and be conceived with Unreal audibility. The very care for reverberations and tonal fulness was so pinpoint and crafted and messaged (kind of like germans over engineering and designing there cars and whatnot), as reverb floats through the air, hovering above my favourite bands heads, as she belts it with the fine coarse and abrasive timbre quality in her edgy raspy voice , I can easily detect the velocity and texture of him hitting that dry yet vibrant snare drum and the cymbals being hit that show such grist, the I'm am truly winded by the experience, by the power, timbre, and tonality. I feel as if i'm clinically operating through my music, the fine articulation and sparse separation as she ominously sweeps though that captivating dark arpeggio that INSTANTLY grabs my attention, every pluck of guitar seemed so Isolated, Alone, The buzz that rings out so cleanly that when she occasionally ****s up when she plucks the string of her guitar to hard, or maybe it's on purpose because it sounds quite nice. Piano kicks punch through my guts, as they are striking and so well defined, I get a good sense of the size and dimensions of the room, since the strike of the key that plays the note rings reverberates throughout the room. The AKG K271's are still on my hall of fame for having such controlled authoritative bass, extension was simply just bedrock, OK OK it's not the ABSOLUTE BEST extension i've heard, having listening and owning many planar/ortho dynamic headphones (nothing beats a pair of Audeze's when it comes to bass yum), but its close to it!! but more controlled then planar/ortho Dynamic headphones. Although you can suggest the sony mdr cd900st that has INSANE resolution and is SUPER clinical and sterile to compare with this headphone, and that it would be bested, this is quite close and does have a better soundstage and is smoother. BOY is this paragraph becoming my typical long winded rants... Anyways to close the red curtains i will say this , Sure the K240's sounded warmer and more musical to some, but just did not compare since the K271's are just as Musical and More proficient, for both my applications of use, both cutting and editing (i also use the Q701 for this purpose also, it being the exact same and cheaper, with slightly more bass than the rest of the K70X series) or when i have to lend a phone to my vocalist or drummer, or when i'm just laying on my couch with my macbook and Audio Engine D1 that i very much enjoy, or when i'm lying i bed, and right next to me on my drawer is my lovely Cassabria or my WA6, and to the fact that i just like the realism and proficiency with being musical, none the less, the AKG K240's and AKG K271's are two horses of different colours, i honestly hate to compare them due to their closed and open back housings, Although the K271's are one of my go to headphones and the K240's are not so much when it comes to cutting/editing/monitoring/mix-downs/recording and overall the K271's are more proficient and mold better and are more versatile with my BOTH my applications of use, they are equally enjoyed, and appreciated, with their sparse differences and qualities,
they remain "Horses Of Different Colours" and should not be compared

P.S Feel free to add anything if i missed anything or correct me if i did anything wrong so i can edit my post and please try not to take this as a "biased" response, for i have both headphones both burned in and have critically judge and listened with a multitude of amps as well as genre's so they both can get a fair shout (it took me 4 hours alone to test and trial them through songs A-B testing,
and 6  STRAIGHT hours to write this long ass post, ENJOY and APPRECIATE my hard work and i may add more to this thread/post but as a means of now... I am parched, haggard, it's 3.25 am and if you see any mistakes.... now you know why) 
Good night 

Jul 27, 2013 at 3:40 AM Post #17 of 27
Quote:
Eh, I have 271S ... Just dry, bassless and boring headphone it is. Probably good for some kinds of studio work. I used them with +6db eq on bass ... but that made them yawn like unhappy mushroom. I hope all Akgs are not similar. Would like to try 712.

you seem like a headphone "Extremest" (Greenhorn cough cough Newbie Cough Cough) likes punchy solid bass with so called a "crystal clear treble" i will tell you straight up you will not like AKG, take my advice with the burn in, hope thats helps, and if you are not committed to a burn in and don't have a proper amp (and no not a gay potable one), don't EVEN bother with AKG headphones, just a warning, since almost ALL of them require 200hours+ burn in and are ALL VERY picky with amps

Jul 27, 2013 at 3:44 AM Post #18 of 27
Quote:
The K272/K271 aren't bad at all. Most other sub-$200 closed-backs have something off to them. Weird midrange, or spiky treble, or comfort issues... if you want a no-nonsense, neutral-sounding, comfortable, durable headphones, you can't go wrong with the K272's.

But it's the godawful pads. Combined with the little clamping pressure, they seal very poorly on my ears, leading to complete bass loss. I'm thinking of getting another one to try the mad dog or K550 pads on them to improve the seal.

they actually make it not seal fully deliberately, if you press them on your ears and make a good seal it won't be as transparent or clear and the upper register fades a bit, although the bass is nicer, but when you just were it normally.... well i think you know already 

Jul 27, 2013 at 4:15 AM Post #19 of 27
             you seem like a headphone "Extremest" (Greenhorn cough cough Newbie Cough Cough) likes punchy solid bass with so called a "crystal clear treble" i will tell you straight up you will not like AKG, take my advice with the burn in, hope thats helps, and if you are not committed to a burn in and don't have a proper amp (and no not a gay potable one), don't EVEN bother with AKG headphones, just a warning, since almost ALL of them require 200hours+ burn in and are ALL VERY picky with amps

Yeah, newbee that is me. At fourty years of age ... twenty of them in audiophilea hoodlum doodlum ... yeah (koff) I am quite fresh :)
I have been burning them in for six years ... no change. Maybe if you believe in that sort of thing ...
I have a fidelio x1 and I am quite happy. A little less and more firm bass maybe? ... a little less recessed mids maybe? But compared ti Akg ... 271s are just old squeeky hen :wink:

Jul 27, 2013 at 4:16 AM Post #20 of 27
Quote:

Firstly, no offense but calm down mate. Take it easy.
there's no need to diss other members in this community.
we all have different preferences, he just likes his headphones bassier, nothing wrong with that; no need to call him greenhorn/ newbie. Even if he IS a newbie, his preferences might remain the same even if he continues this hobby in the future and you must respect other people's preferences.

Secondly, there's no need to call portable amps "gay".
Because you just disrespected owners of portable amps AND the actual "gay" community at the same time.

Thirdly, not all AKG headphones sound the same (to me at least). For example, K240 as you said yourself is warmer and sweeter and some people might prefer that over K271. The K450 is also a headphone that doesn't follow AKG's usual signature even though it isn't a particularly great. 
Just because you don't conform with other people's preferences does not mean you can shove your opinion down their throats. 

Jul 27, 2013 at 7:43 AM Post #21 of 27
Quote:
we all have different preferences, he just likes his headphones bassier, nothing wrong with that; no need to call him greenhorn/ newbie. Even if he IS a newbie, his preferences might remain the same even if he continues this hobby in the future and you must respect other people's preferences.

Because you just disrespected owners of portable amps AND the actual "gay" community at the same time.

Thirdly, not all AKG headphones sound the same (to me at least). For example, K240 as you said yourself is warmer and sweeter and some people might prefer that over K271. The K450 is also a headphone that doesn't follow AKG's usual signature even though it isn't a particularly great. 
Just because you don't conform with other people's preferences does not mean you can shove your opinion down their throats. 

okay, Woah
lets take 3 steps back,
I wasn't putting any context to my statement it was a joke i REALLY REALLY don't need to calm down because i'm not even  the slightest mad nor aggravated,
I called potable amps gay because they are pathetic compared to ground/ ones you plug on to the wall and just are a joke when it comes to performance WHEN COMPARED to plugged in ones, the majority anyway and i still stand by that, Although the sony PHA 1 and fiio e07 and apex glacier serves me well... and okay maybe i was being a dick calling him a newb, okay yah i admit it,
and i never said ALL AKG headphones sound the same, Don't twist my words you and turn them into something else, you mistake my intent , i consider nearly ALL AKG headphones rather mature and balanced sounding ( the majority) and that includes the one he wanted to trial the k712, BUT i can tell (from what he is conveying) he is looking for something exciting , something that you have a jazz dance break over, the ATH M50 perhaps (although i love/hate mostly hate...) and okay yah go ahead penalize for using gay as a insult when everybody does it and i didn't think i needed to bring this up but i was actually there supporting the LGBT community when the LGBT community struck down DOMA and dismissed prop 8 and had countless encounters on youtube, i have nothing against gay people if thats what you getting at Pal, if i did i might as well put down my sister just because she's gay and force my mothers life long work co-oping  with teenagers that are depressed and bullied JUST because there gay. Yes i use it as a insult, DOESN'T MEAN i hate gay people DOESN"T MEAN i put context to it, I LITERALLY call my GAY peers GAY! as a joke and they don't even care as much as you do ROFL . You ARE really really asking me to calm down ,boy,i'm amused, Pal your a Hippocrit in your own cause, look at you, your pathetic, you're acting so uptight, you're  literally doing point by point A...B...C...D telling me what i did wrong, and you have to make a patriotic statement to gain some fake credibitly? is this what makes you hot? is this what you get off of? he, you also have the sick need to tell me THEE SMALLEST thing which is used gay as a insult, Which I'm SURE you have done before Pal. this just seems like a gigantic Cop - Out to me. i don't think a JOKE is shoving my beliefs down peoples throat and i literally read my statment 10 times because i was searching for why you think im "shoving my beliefs sown people throats" NOTHING in my statement makes your point relevant that im shoving my beliefs down his throat and i GLADLY urge you to tell me otherwise. Is that your clever rhetoric to make me seem like an ass? Bravo ,credibility earned, Gold star, Patriot of the year, missionary, best law enforcement officer. But really you haven't conceived i was using my statement lightly and as joke, things are rough all around champ, maybe you just havn't seen societies true face yet, if you're looking for someone to be sentimental around here, you have been living under a rock. Go tell every comedian to take his racial/stereotyped jokes back? Go to tell all your school members to go take their lightly used insults? ... it was a joke.... take it AS a joke, in fact YOU shouldn't even care, i wasn't even talking to you, what are you his mom? his knapsack?  he's a god dam grown man?  he is 40 years old? he CERTAINLY does not need to have another helicopter parent to shield him and you to fight his fights and to wipe his ass. PLEASE Don't take this personally, although you already have for some reason.... when im not even putting you down in the slightest way nor have i ever even looked towards your direction, calm down cheers :) i hope we can still remain in harmony, and respect one another, and be friendly, I'll even say sorry if you'd like :wink:

Jul 27, 2013 at 8:30 AM Post #22 of 27
Quote:
Yeah, newbee that is me. At fourty years of age ... twenty of them in audiophilea hoodlum doodlum ... yeah (koff) I am quite fresh
smily_headphones1.gif

I have been burning them in for six years ... no change. Maybe if you believe in that sort of thing ...
I have a fidelio x1 and I am quite happy. A little less and more firm bass maybe? ... a little less recessed mids maybe? But compared ti Akg ... 271s are just old squeeky hen
wink.gif

I did a test 3 months ago just to confirm the burn in process is real( which i already had faith in) just to prove cynical people that think that the burn in theory is baloney, i had 2 pairs , one was burning in for to reach 200 hours and the was going to be kept is virgin for A-B comparisons, I had did A-B comparisons for every 20 AFK hours and definitely noticed changes, big difference when i was done the burn in, and was comparing the AKG K271 with 200 hours and the a virgin pair of AKG K271's,  i blindly tested my buddy with the A-B comparisons he noticed a difference. i burned mine in AFK  for 200 hour with white noise, pink noise, also with 2 frequency sweeps, i'm not incoherent, even the dumbest hobo can perceive the difference, go tell ALL the members of headfi burn in doesn't exist, Go tell headroom the AKG k702's don't need a burn in, go tell audio engine that they are lying and that the d1 does not need a burn in, go tell tyll hennersens from inner fidelity that did the same thing as me and as has measurements to prove the "burn" in theory, and tell him it's a load of baloney, tell me i'm just dumb, i can't hear, and my ears are ****. don't lie you did not burn them in, you have to make a  such modest immature statement and make it so significant saying that you have been burning it in for 6 years and you have 20 and make it so important and have the urgency to tell me that your years old 40 and haven't noticed a difference for 6 years when i could notice a difference every 20 hours and have FR spectrum measuring equipment to confirm my beliefs? you amuse me, i'm about to ask you to get off my thread, you must be trolling, I could LITERALLY make a more than 20 ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ points telling what the 271 performs better than the x1 fidelio, even the sennsheiser hd 558 is FAR more superior. like you do realize your comparing 2 COMPLETELY  different headphones right? maybe you want a apology for my previous rude comment, im sorry , i was being dick, i hope that makes you feel better CHEERS :)

Jul 27, 2013 at 8:57 AM Post #23 of 27
Quote:

lets forget my rude comment, okay bud:) and lets move on, 
Anyways how did you find my comparison, have anything to add?
have any problems with it? because i can fix it in no time if i have made mistakes and
i am prepared to discuss why i said what i said, and why i think it it correct. feel free to tell me

Jul 27, 2013 at 9:06 AM Post #24 of 27
Quote:
I didn't mean to diss flat FR haha
i know it's good. It's just that when i first got the K271 it sounded very plain like eating white bread without anything. 

I look forward to the comparison.

i use words like "dull' "stale" "pale" "murky" saying flat is misleading to ones unfamiliar to headphones and their  FR spectrum, it gives flat headphones/amps/speakers a bad orientation, and is bad since they are many flat headphones and since flat headphones are the ones that typically have better sound good for the most part, although a couple headphones like the sony cd900st are still very neutral and EXCELLENT while not having a flat FR

Jul 27, 2013 at 10:16 AM Post #27 of 27
I feel this thread hasn't really catered for the greater audience (at least in the reception of their responses constructively). I've done what I need to do but in addition I'm also locking this thread. If I see attitudes change, I may change my mind and re-open the thread.

Edit: Anyone who sees this is unfair or unjustified, please feel free to PM me (please cc Currawong, Warrenpchi, & Joe too at the same time. Thank you).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back