Why doesn't anybody like the Denon AH-D600
Jun 26, 2013 at 12:22 PM Post #76 of 238
Quote:

This is exactly what I want to do because I expect that these would actually satisfy me for sound quality, slight problem though, they cost like £700+ !

I am seriously thinking of just keeping the UE6000 and saving up until I can get a proper pair of headphones such as the Fostex or the HE-500. All of this messing about at the £100-£300 mark is starting to annoy me!

Seriously does  a pair of headphones exist under £300 which has good bass, good soundstage, good lower mids, good (non harsh or bright) treble, comfort and decent everything else?! I have not found one yet, maybe I could try the mad dogs but they are USA only I think. I wish I just kept the HD650 and the D2000 when I had them both.

What made you sell the D2Ks and the HD650s?

Jun 26, 2013 at 12:48 PM Post #78 of 238

Dan (MrSpeakers) DOES sell internationally! (i.e. it is NOT U.S. ONLY!)

But since you are also craving a lot of bass, they will probably not be the best at that, but IT DOES extend low and provide good sub-bass and mid-bass output, just a bit more laid-back. But if you liked the Sennheiser HD650s, you WILL like the Mad Dogs! (COUNT on it!)

Thanks for the reply, can you EQ the mad dogs to have good bass? OK maybe not D2000 bass but similar to something like the UE6000 or Momentums? I like to EQ the sub bass from about 70hz downwards up because I like big sub bass, not so bothered about the mid bass because that gets annoying on music with a beat, but I like the low bass. For example on the D600 even I like to EQ the bass below 70hz by a few DB so they have more sub bass for electronic music etc.

Jun 26, 2013 at 12:56 PM Post #79 of 238
From what I hear the T50rp that the Mad Dogs are based on will distort if you try to EQ the bass too high. I'm not sure how high is too high. If you're interested in a perfectly neutral headphone (or as close as it gets for the price), check out this thread: http://www.head-fi.org/t/661032/kef-new-headphones They're new but sound really promising so far.

Jun 26, 2013 at 1:21 PM Post #80 of 238
Quote:
From what I hear the T50rp that the Mad Dogs are based on will distort if you try to EQ the bass too high. I'm not sure how high is too high. If you're interested in a perfectly neutral headphone (or as close as it gets for the price), check out this thread: http://www.head-fi.org/t/661032/kef-new-headphones They're new but sound really promising so far.

I cannot stand on ear headphones, thanks anyway, I am not really looking for a completely neutral headphone, I want big sub bass, neutral mids and highs. Sort of like how the LCD-2 frequency response looks. Even rolled off highs as long as they are good quality and not peaky. I would prefer rolled off highs like the LCD2 or HD650 than bright highs.

Jun 26, 2013 at 1:30 PM Post #81 of 238
Quote:
From what I hear the T50rp that the Mad Dogs are based on will distort if you try to EQ the bass too high. I'm not sure how high is too high.

This is what I've read too, I haven't tried it as I don't really use or play with EQ ever. :wink:

Jun 26, 2013 at 2:01 PM Post #83 of 238
Quote:

Hmmm I was short on money at the time, I sold the D2k and bought the HD650, then eventually sold the HD650, I wish I just kept both because between them, they do everything well.

Fair enough! I've not heard the HD650, but the D2K certainly tick a lot of your boxes within the price range, which is why i wondered why you sold them.

Jun 26, 2013 at 3:41 PM Post #84 of 238
I sold the D2k for similar reasons I will be sending back the D600, because the highs are sort of sharp sounding and after an hour or 2 they hurt my ears, I tried EQ the D600 but they still sound quite harsh and artificial to me... I think that the D2k is a better sounding headphone than the D600 personally, some parts of the D600 are really good, the soundstage, build quality, comfort, bass are all good but the mids are not too bad, bit recessed, but the highs are not so great in my opinion.... I am too picky I think I need some high end headphones but I cannot afford them... My sig shows what I have owned and what order I think they rank, the list is in order from best to worst, just my opinion on the sound quality, comfort, value etc.

I might save up and get a Denon D5000 and Sennheiser HD600 combo, I think between them they would be pretty good at everything, at the moment though I am still looking for a pair of decent all rounders, mainly for EDM and games but also metal, rock, soundtracks, I listen to a lot of genres...

Jun 26, 2013 at 4:05 PM Post #85 of 238
Quote:
I sold the D2k for similar reasons I will be sending back the D600, because the highs are sort of sharp sounding and after an hour or 2 they hurt my ears, I tried EQ the D600 but they still sound quite harsh and artificial to me... I think that the D2k is a better sounding headphone than the D600 personally, some parts of the D600 are really good, the soundstage, build quality, comfort, bass are all good but the mids are not too bad, bit recessed, but the highs are not so great in my opinion.... I am too picky I think I need some high end headphones but I cannot afford them... My sig shows what I have owned and what order I think they rank, the list is in order from best to worst, just my opinion on the sound quality, comfort, value etc.

I might save up and get a Denon D5000 and Sennheiser HD600 combo, I think between them they would be pretty good at everything, at the moment though I am still looking for a pair of decent all rounders, mainly for EDM and games but also metal, rock, soundtracks, I listen to a lot of genres...

You are very picky indeed. I also found the D2000s highs too sharp but EQ'ing ~3khz and ~6khz down a couple notches definitely helped. Unfortunately I haven't heard nearly enough headphones to know what to suggest next.

Jun 26, 2013 at 4:12 PM Post #86 of 238
Quote:
You are very picky indeed. I also found the D2000s highs too sharp but EQ'ing ~3khz and ~6khz down a couple notches definitely helped. Unfortunately I haven't heard nearly enough headphones to know what to suggest next.

I think if you like the sound of the D600 then that is fair enough, they are not bad, especially at £230... But I can see why they have a lot of people who either really like them or don't like them, the sound is quite colored and some will like it some won't.

Jun 26, 2013 at 4:35 PM Post #87 of 238
I think I might try importing the mad dogs, would you say that they have better sub bass depth than the HD650 and capable of similar quantity? Also is the soundstage OK and not too small?

I would like a good amount of bass, I can live with a bit less if it extends well and the mids and highs are excellent... Also the soundstage cannot be too small... Bit dodgy as buying from USA it will be hard to return, it does seem like they have a lot of good reviews etc. though.

Jun 26, 2013 at 5:14 PM Post #88 of 238
Quote:
I think I might try importing the mad dogs, would you say that they have better sub bass depth than the HD650 and capable of similar quantity? Also is the soundstage OK and not too small?

I would like a good amount of bass, I can live with a bit less if it extends well and the mids and highs are excellent... Also the soundstage cannot be too small... Bit dodgy as buying from USA it will be hard to return, it does seem like they have a lot of good reviews etc. though.

I had the HD600s (not the HD650s) but to my ears they DO have a bit more slam and sub-bass but not by a huge amount. It seems the latest Mad Dogs version (3.2) supposedly was tuned to provide a bit more bass, but I'm still at 3.0 so not sure. Fostex T50RPs are ALL about MIDS! MIDS are EXCELLENT. Highs are actually a bit similar to the M100s, possibly extends a tiny bit more. Soundstage though can sometimes sound messed up, but not sure if it is due to slow decay or some of my specific tracks.

Still, these have been one of the best overall purchases I've made on the headphone world.

Jun 27, 2013 at 11:17 AM Post #89 of 238
Why not try the HD650s or HD600 next. The HD650s are very difficult to hate and you might just love them. I do. But they leak a lot of sound obviously, like most open phones, so bear that in mind in case you want to use next to a sleeping spouse.

Jun 27, 2013 at 12:41 PM Post #90 of 238
Quote:
Why not try the HD650s or HD600 next. The HD650s are very difficult to hate and you might just love them. I do. But they leak a lot of sound obviously, like most open phones, so bear that in mind in case you want to use next to a sleeping spouse.

I used to own the HD650, they were good I admit, but I sold them because they are a bit boring for some genres I like, however they are one of the best headphones I have used and excellent for some things, I might pick up a pair of HD600 at some point because they are supposed to be a bit faster and less boring than the HD650. I would like some HD600 for slow genres, games and movies and a pair of closed headphones for other genres such as EDM, soundtracks and metal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back