Why doesn't anybody like the Denon AH-D600
Jun 26, 2014 at 5:21 PM Post #151 of 240
That's your opinion. Many here like them. Tell me what's actually better at 150 apart from the DT770.

Ditto.  I love them for music.  Great, great bass, comfort and isolation.  No downside from my view.  And for $150 they will probably beat any other phone at that price.

Jun 26, 2014 at 5:32 PM Post #152 of 240
Ditto.  I love them for music.  Great, great bass, comfort and isolation.  No downside from my view.  And for $150 they will probably beat any other phone at that price.

+1

They're great and really fun for music, specially with EDM. For $150 you should get them, they won't disappoint unless you're looking for something neutral but I don't think that's the case, right?

Jul 4, 2014 at 3:41 PM Post #153 of 240
Are the main reasons why the Denon AH-D600 are disliked because :

1) They are ugly, heavy & big and Denon are trying to suck up to the Beats by Dre crowd?

2) The bass is too boomy with recessed highs?

3) The original high-end Denon headphones were re-branded Fostex and now this is Denon's attempt to make these themselves?

4) Although impedance is only 25 Ohms; these headphones still need an amp to release their full potential.

5) These headphones are not "pure audiophile" because they don't give a neutral flat response.

6) Any more reasons from the audience?

My answers would be :

1) Er..Er...I bought these for sound quality not looks. I intend to use them for home audio but I won't be surprised if I end up wearing them outside.

2) I use Rockbox EQ to tailor the sound to how I want it rather than using the out-of-the-box setup.

3) Er..Er.. I've never owned Fostex so I cannot compare. I guess it's like owning a Panasonic Lumix Camera which has a licensed Leica lens rather than owning an actual Leica camera.

4) Yeah but I'm going to use an Amp anyway whether its needed on paper or not..in fact I'm using a pre-amp & power amp for a device that also does not need it; the Sandisk Zip Clip.

5) Yes, the Denon AH-D600 does colour the sound; however I'm going to use my headphones to LISTEN to music; to relax & enjoy; not mix with it or stress analyse it.
When I dine out for a meal, I want my food to be served with SEASONING & if suitable a tasty sauce. I don't want to eat raw ingredients with bland flavour just because it is natural unless that is what artistically required.

6) From my point of view, I'm sure many can add theirs, headphones at this level require due care to ensure that they are tuned & set up correctly so that they can release their full potential otherwise if setup wrong, they won't sound as nice.

Jul 8, 2014 at 2:27 PM Post #154 of 240

This is exactly what I want to do because I expect that these would actually satisfy me for sound quality, slight problem though, they cost like £700+ !

I am seriously thinking of just keeping the UE6000 and saving up until I can get a proper pair of headphones such as the Fostex or the HE-500. All of this messing about at the £100-£300 mark is starting to annoy me!

Seriously does  a pair of headphones exist under £300 which has good bass, good soundstage, good lower mids, good (non harsh or bright) treble, comfort and decent everything else?! I have not found one yet, maybe I could try the mad dogs but they are USA only I think. I wish I just kept the HD650 and the D2000 when I had them both.

Seems like you're describing HD650s. :) I'll sell my Momentum and get Fostex TH600 but will keep HD650s. They are so good with most music.

Jul 11, 2014 at 1:23 AM Post #155 of 240
I have been using the AH-D600 for over a year and I am still really happy with those for fun listening, gaming and movies :) I do not think that there is another headphone in the sub 150€ bracket that could beat them.

Jul 29, 2014 at 9:27 PM Post #156 of 240
Hi guys.... Really interested in the d600 since now they are being sold in europe around the 150 and 200 euros mark new and i already saw used pairs for 109 euros on amazon...

So heres my story....

I had many headphpne like the cals, the ath m50, sony mdr 1r....

Right now i have a hd25 and mdr v6, before i also owned a over ear momentum wich i absolutely loved due to the build and specially for the sound quality and signature (i think they are the perfect complement to the hd25) but unfortunately i ended up selling the momentums due to fit, seal and confort issues. My ears simply did not fit the pads and the problems that the mix of on ear and over ear pads just ended up distracting me from my music..., so basically now i am trying to find a substitute to the quality of the momentums in terms of sound quality and signature.... Are the d600s even close?

I mostly listen to indie, pop, rock and edm, i have no amps and i am not planning on buying any.... So whay do you guys think? Are the d600s right for a guy that loves the hd25s and the momentums and wants the same experience in an real over ear design and the same type of sound but a bit more spacious? I also thought about the 32 and 80ohm dt770s but i dont know if they are right for me (untortunately its impossible for me to try any beyer or denon without purchasing them... :'( ).....

To make you guys understand what i like or not a bit more....

I loved the 1r for the spacious sound and look but the sound signature was not for me, too colored and muffled sounding (singers sounded like they were burried) and also they lacked punch and slam on the bass....

Hated everything on the k550, the seal, the fit, the steryle sound...

Liked the m50 but they were bulky and had too recessed mids and unnatural and plasticky treble.... I liked the hd25 more, though a tiny more bass wouldnt hurt, while maintaning the clarity of course, and of course more space since they are too confined....

Tell me what you guys think.... :)

Jul 31, 2014 at 5:43 AM Post #158 of 240
l don't think the D600s are what you're looking for, either.

To begin with, if you're planning on giving them a portable use, l'd say forget it.

1- Unless you have a huge head (similar to those of the AKGs engineers
wink.gif
):

(took picture from dan.gheorghe post, from this thread)

chances are they'd move around your head while you walk, as they don't have a tight fit. On my head they don't move that much, though. l think l could take them outside with no problem as the ear-pads keep them in place (they might move a bit, but they would never fall off my head... unless a run). Did the k550s give you a good fit? Those fit more loose on my head than the Denons and could not walk with them, at all (they'd fall off, surely).

2- They're not foldable. If you find the M50s bulky, you'll probably find the Denons bulky, too. Whenever l take a pair of HPs with me, l always chose my Audio-Technica PRO700s or if l go on a long trip (train/plane) my K550s (yes, the 3m long cable also comes with us 
bigsmile_face.gif
)

If it helps and don't confuses you more, l find the K550s provide a sterile sound compared to the Denons. To put it simple, K550s analytical, D600 musical.

l think, you'd enjoy listening to EDM on them, probably also pop (not sure about rock or indie). They surely provide a punchy, tight bass (l really like their bass). 

Now, if you can find a used pair for around 100€, l would still give them a try, just in case (again, unless you're planning on using them 'on the go'). Should you not like them, you can always resell them (easily, l would say). 

Good luck!

Edit:

if you lived in Geneva or nearby, you could borrow mine anytime...

Jul 31, 2014 at 10:10 PM Post #159 of 240
Pedro, I'm listening to my HD25 and D600 right now.

The d600 has a completely different signature than the Hd25. The HD25 is much more forward in its midrange. It's very present. It's an excellent headphone end of story. I'm so glad I got mine up an running again.

If the two headphone were buildings. The D600 would have an extra level, except that level would be the basement - a basement full of delicious subwoofers. Also, it's main floor would be much more spacious, and make the hd25s home feel a bit cramped.

They do complement each other, so rather than having two headphones with the same signature, the d600 is headphone you can sit back and enjoy subterranean earthquake passages with sufficient detail across the spectrum but not a harsh midrange. The hd25 has a high SPL, and it's easy to play me very loud. The D600, because of its frequency curve, emphasizes the highs and lows, but this actually can work out on lower volumes as your ear is more tuned at low levels towards speech. You can still turn the d600 up though and it weirdly seems to keep a great balance.

As far as portability, I wore these out of my house to walk a few blocks to my office. Yes, I got the most awesome bass all the way to work. They didn't move around that much actually. I had more problems walking around with the MDR-1r on my head. For sweat, exposure to the environment, portability and looks, - the hd25 is as big as I'd go. It's a fantastic portable and can be driven sufficiently without spa dedicated amp.

Wish I could let you listen to my HD650, D600 and Amperior. The d600 reproduces a lower range that neither of those can touch. The Hd650 gets close, but requires an amp to get there. I've listened to the Momentum, and it also did not have the lower range of the D600, was less spacious, but I haven't owned one to compare with. The MDR-1r also did not have the low end, but had some good things going for it otherwise. srH-840 same thing, great midrange but no where near the low end of the D600.

I think if you were to try the D600 and put on some of the most driving electronic tracks you have you'd be experiencing them with the impact they are meant to have. No amp needed. I remember the first time I demoed them, I had a bit of prejudice going in seeing as they seemed like a bit of cash grab by denon to go after beats. But listening to them, and having been (and played at) some large electronic gatherings this headphone put a massive grin on me immediately. Still does.

Jan 16, 2015 at 4:06 PM Post #160 of 240

I used to own the HD650, they were good I admit, but I sold them because they are a bit boring for some genres I like, however they are one of the best headphones I have used and excellent for some things, I might pick up a pair of HD600 at some point because they are supposed to be a bit faster and less boring than the HD650. I would like some HD600 for slow genres, games and movies and a pair of closed headphones for other genres such as EDM, soundtracks and metal.

could not resist to ask what amp you are using?
maybe the problem is not in the headphone

Jan 16, 2015 at 4:28 PM Post #161 of 240
in answer to the OP's original question.

i have just purchased the d600 for use with my Fiio X1, and i think for what i paid they are fantastic. (£150)
i learned that getting them to seal properly just like iem's is really important.(thanks to Ian -Rabbit over on diyah forum)
connecting them to a decent amp moves them on to another level.
dont get me wrong i would not swap them for my "filtered" lcd2, but they are a cracking headphone for the money. IMO

Mar 9, 2015 at 11:04 AM Post #162 of 240
Mar 9, 2015 at 11:20 AM Post #163 of 240

Me three! And my D600's.

is there huge SQ difference between D600 vs D7100 ?

When paired with a dac/amp combo, e.g. the DA-300 from Denon, the d7100 are a step up, but so is the price. But for the price, I think you can consider the th900 from Fostex. To me they are even better, quite noticeable, compared to the D7100, and just a tad more expensive, at least in the US.  

Mar 9, 2015 at 11:30 AM Post #164 of 240
Hi guys.... Really interested in the d600 since now they are being sold in europe around the 150 and 200 euros mark new and i already saw used pairs for 109 euros on amazon...

So heres my story....

I had many headphpne like the cals, the ath m50, sony mdr 1r....

Right now i have a hd25 and mdr v6, before i also owned a over ear momentum wich i absolutely loved due to the build and specially for the sound quality and signature (i think they are the perfect complement to the hd25) but unfortunately i ended up selling the momentums due to fit, seal and confort issues. My ears simply did not fit the pads and the problems that the mix of on ear and over ear pads just ended up distracting me from my music..., so basically now i am trying to find a substitute to the quality of the momentums in terms of sound quality and signature.... Are the d600s even close?

I mostly listen to indie, pop, rock and edm, i have no amps and i am not planning on buying any.... So whay do you guys think? Are the d600s right for a guy that loves the hd25s and the momentums and wants the same experience in an real over ear design and the same type of sound but a bit more spacious? I also thought about the 32 and 80ohm dt770s but i dont know if they are right for me (untortunately its impossible for me to try any beyer or denon without purchasing them... :'( ).....

To make you guys understand what i like or not a bit more....

I loved the 1r for the spacious sound and look but the sound signature was not for me, too colored and muffled sounding (singers sounded like they were burried) and also they lacked punch and slam on the bass....

Hated everything on the k550, the seal, the fit, the steryle sound...

Liked the m50 but they were bulky and had too recessed mids and unnatural and plasticky treble.... I liked the hd25 more, though a tiny more bass wouldnt hurt, while maintaning the clarity of course, and of course more space since they are too confined....

Tell me what you guys think.... :)

If u think the m50s are bulky, then the d600 probably will be bulk as well, not to mention the m50s are collapsible. The hd25s are quite exciting, but I never got used to the on-ear fit. The momentums have a wierd half on ear half over ear fit. Can't get a proper seal, thus no comment on that. The d600s do provide a wider soundstage; while the bass and treble are emphasized, I think the mids are still great; compared to teh 1r, the mid is not recessed in any way. Hope it helps. 

Mar 9, 2015 at 11:31 AM Post #165 of 240
  When paired with a dac/amp combo, e.g. the DA-300 from Denon, the d7100 are a step up, but so is the price. But for the price, I think you can consider the th900 from Fostex. To me they are even better, quite noticeable, compared to the D7100, and just a tad more expensive, at least in the US.  

Oh, you already have the th900s. Then don't bother trying the d7100s. Missed your stat info...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back