Why doesn't anybody like the Denon AH-D600
Mar 9, 2015 at 6:22 PM Post #166 of 242
Mar 21, 2015 at 5:58 PM Post #167 of 242
Just received my D600 today. Coming from Sennheiser PC360, I'm really enjoying the bass right now. I even compared it to my bro's Astro A40 headset, which I sometimes use when I'm craving bass, and it's no contest against the D600. Just deciding on a portable amp/dac now and I'm set.

Mar 22, 2015 at 6:22 PM Post #168 of 242
Good for you.  It's a good headphone with amazing bass.  Enjoy it while you can (before upgraditis kicks in).............

Mar 22, 2015 at 8:37 PM Post #169 of 242
Haha I know what you mean. I had the worst upgraditis before like upgrading my video card 3 times in one year. I'm glad to finally get over that phase by buying close or a bit over my max budget. Sort of an all or nothing approach to get the "best" for me, so I don't look back and get tempted to upgrade. Now I just need to not want new toys every so often haha.

Seeing the HD650 go on sale prompted me to shop of a headset. I ordered it but canceled last minute knowing that I want a bass headphone with good isolation. I was able to try the HE-6 and HD650 at the Oppo store a few days ago before my D600 arrived. Now I'm glad I didn't keep the HD650 because it doesnt have the bass I'm looking for. The HE-6 sounds really good, but it is very heavy and uncomfortable. I'd personally pick a D600 over it due to comfort. I'll probably keep this for a long time. 

For portable amp/dac I've narrowed it down to Meridian Explorer 2 ($250) or Oppo HA-2 ($325) after tax and shipping. Original budget was up to $150, but I saved a lot on a used D600 so I upped it to $250. I think I'll just hold off now until the summer to save up and sell things I no longer use. 

Apr 8, 2015 at 8:30 AM Post #170 of 242
ok just a review from me. I bought the AH-600 not so long ago. Overall it's a great headphone for the money ($200).  Definitively worth it. I already the Beyerdynamic 880 250 ohm and I didn't expected the Denon to be 5x more comfortable to wear on my head! Wow. Best headphone 10/10 for comfort. For the sound, it has great Bass, no leakage even the sound on Max volume. I'm no audiophile, but treble, soundstage etc. is very good (surely not better than dt880 but the Denon Ah600 is closed-back headphone and lower price, so it's cool). Very good for portable with iphone. It's 25ohm, so it doesn't need a Amp, but it's a bit better with one :wink:  Overall, it's a fantastic headphone for games, tv, movies and "good" for Music.It sure does not have the "neutral" sound or the "open" sound from the Great audiophile(music) headphones (like my Beyer DT880), but yeah, I didn't buy it for that :wink: It's definitively not an headphone for studios so I don't recommend one if you only want to listen to music.  PS. amazing design and totally not heavy.

Apr 8, 2015 at 8:49 AM Post #171 of 242
  ok just a review from me. I bought the AH-600 not so long ago. Overall it's a great headphone for the money ($200).  Definitively worth it. I already the Beyerdynamic 880 250 ohm and I didn't expected the Denon to be 5x more comfortable to wear on my head! Wow. Best headphone 10/10 for comfort. For the sound, it has great Bass, no leakage even the sound on Max volume. I'm no audiophile, but treble, soundstage etc. is very good (surely not better than dt880 but the Denon Ah600 is closed-back headphone and lower price, so it's cool). Very good for portable with iphone. It's 25ohm, so it doesn't need a Amp, but it's a bit better with one :wink:  Overall, it's a fantastic headphone for games, tv, movies and "good" for Music.It sure does not have the "neutral" sound or the "open" sound from the Great audiophile(music) headphones (like my Beyer DT880), but yeah, I didn't buy it for that :wink: It's definitively not an headphone for studios so I don't recommend one if you only want to listen to music.  PS. amazing design and totally not heavy.

Glad you like it !, I was thinking which headphone to keep HP50 vs D600 and ended up keeping D600 due to comfort issue.  NAD HP50 is very painful headphone and D600 is lot comfortable than HP50 but not as comfortable as HD800/TH900/T1 etc.

Sound signature of D600 is similar to TH900, it has recessed mids which I really don't like but has at least 60% of TH900 bass quality, amazing deal for $175 (brand new) which I paid.

I use D600 mainly for movies/youtube, not an ideal headphone for classical music or acoustic, but it worth the money IMO. Happy for you !

May 16, 2015 at 8:41 PM Post #172 of 242
I bought some cheap $14 cable for my D600 since I can't use the mic and want something shorter. I'm very surprised that the sound quality got worse. Certainly noticeable at different volume levels too. I lose some details overall and depth on the bass. Triple checked to make sure the ends are hooked properly to my Explorer 2 and headphones... 

http://www.ebay.com/itm/281494949395?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&var=580529089660&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

May 16, 2015 at 10:58 PM Post #173 of 242
  I bought some cheap $14 cable for my D600 since I can't use the mic and want something shorter. I'm very surprised that the sound quality got worse. Certainly noticeable at different volume levels too. I lose some details overall and depth on the bass. Triple checked to make sure the ends are hooked properly to my Explorer 2 and headphones... 

http://www.ebay.com/itm/281494949395?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&var=580529089660&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

I bought this same cable in 1.5m and think it sounds fine. Pretty much on par with the short stock cable. I wouldn't call it an improvement in SQ but don't think it was worse.

May 17, 2015 at 7:24 AM Post #174 of 242

Glad you like it !, I was thinking which headphone to keep HP50 vs D600 and ended up keeping D600 due to comfort issue.  NAD HP50 is very painful headphone and D600 is lot comfortable than HP50 but not as comfortable as HD800/TH900/T1 etc.

Sound signature of D600 is similar to TH900, it has recessed mids which I really don't like but has at least 60% of TH900 bass quality, amazing deal for $175 (brand new) which I paid.

I use D600 mainly for movies/youtube, not an ideal headphone for classical music or acoustic, but it worth the money IMO. Happy for you !

IMO: D600 and TH-900 play in totally different leagues. There is simply no comparison possible (let alone price comparison
wink.gif
).

For movies/youtube, the Denons are fantastic. They have a great soundstage (width, not depth) and a very solid bass. Imaging is poor, though. l really like them for movies (it's the closest l get to a home theatre system in a pair of HPs). Now, for music... Maybe for Reggae, EDM... My problem with the AH-D600 is they're a bit 'cavern like' sounding. They have a weird cave sound... Someone pointed it out in another thread and ever since then, l really notice it. 

$175 is a good price. l paid $200 for my pair. You could also buy a pair of Beyers DT-770 for that money, which are maybe more versatile... although bass is pretty different (and you might need an amp.). 

In general, l agree with @mickgi l disagree when he said "Beyerdynamic 880 250 ohm and I didn't expected the Denon to be 5x more comfortable". l prefer Beyers comfort, just a tad bit more (yeah, comfort and everything else l said is subjective)... Also, l don't find DT-880 that neutral (emphasize highs, which may be responsible for lack of bass...). 

May 17, 2015 at 2:36 PM Post #175 of 242

Well what did you expect? You get what you pay for especially if you use cut-price components in the audio chain & negate the point of premium parts.

You wouldn't replace your arteries & veins with party straws & expect to maintain a healthy level of fitness?

Moon Audio, Audioquest, Qables are the level of investment you should be looking at for this kit.

May 17, 2015 at 2:46 PM Post #176 of 242

I bought this same cable in 1.5m and think it sounds fine. Pretty much on par with the short stock cable. I wouldn't call it an improvement in SQ but don't think it was worse.

Well what did you expect? You get what you pay for especially if you use cut-price components in the audio chain & negate the point of premium parts.

You wouldn't replace your arteries & veins with party straws & expect to maintain a healthy level of fitness?

Moon Audio, Audioquest, Qables are the level of investment you should be looking at for this kit.

I grabbed and tried the stock long cable -- it's pretty much the same as the short stock cable except some extremely minor volume difference (which I'm quite surprised considering it's a much longer cable). The difference from the ebay cable is very very small and not as bad as I seem to have said, but I do lose some of the things that makes me enjoy my D600 to a different level. It's like getting a B+ 89% on a grade vs A- 90%. I did more testing and I'm very much convinced that cable quality does matter. I thought the wire wouldn't matter, so I didn't think twice when I bought it. Looks like I'm wrong.

May 17, 2015 at 2:48 PM Post #177 of 242
IMO: D600 and TH-900 play in totally different leagues. There is simply no comparison possible (let alone price comparison :wink: ).

Correct me if I'm mistaken but aren't the Fostex TH900 cables fixed & unswappable?

If so, although the SQ of the Fostex are deemed superior to the DENONs, their practicality & life-span would be a lot less which is poor for a "premium" headphone.

May 17, 2015 at 3:00 PM Post #178 of 242
I grabbed and tried the stock long cable ....... I did more testing and I'm very much convinced that cable quality does matter. I thought the wire wouldn't matter...

I used to think the same until I swapped out all the cables apart from the long stock cable with silver interconnects in my portable rig & the improvements in SQ & detail was brilliant.

I know this was not placebo effect because I was only expecting like-for-like SQ as copper already conducts satisfactorily & I wanted to treat myself with something fancy for premium looks not just dull black standard connections.

May 17, 2015 at 3:26 PM Post #179 of 242
I used to think the same until I swapped out all the cables apart from the long stock cable with silver interconnects in my portable rig & the improvements in SQ & detail was brilliant.

I know this was not placebo effect because I was only expecting like-for-like SQ as copper already conducts satisfactorily & I wanted to treat myself with something fancy for premium looks not just dull black standard connections.

I may look into that. Do you mind sharing me a link or instructions? How much did you end up spending? 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back