Why doesn't anybody like the Denon AH-D600
May 17, 2015 at 4:32 PM Post #181 of 242
Correct me if I'm mistaken but aren't the Fostex TH900 cables fixed & unswappable?

If so, although the SQ of the Fostex are deemed superior to the DENONs, their practicality & life-span would be a lot less which is poor for a "premium" headphone.

That is correct, no swappable cables on the 900s. When it comes to price/performance, the AH-D600 are a much, much better buy. You are also very right using the word "deemed" when you mentioned the Fostex sound. lt doesn't matter how much more expensive than the Denons they are: you might still prefer Denon's sound, anyway.

l would never pay $1500 for the 900s (l'd get the TH-600 instead).

Now, talking about SQ (although some my prefer that of the AH-D600, as l said), in general, l still say these two HPs really play in very different leagues; l would never put them together for a comparison. The Th-900 is simply definitely much better (IMO, as always). 

Jun 8, 2015 at 4:49 AM Post #183 of 242
Anyone compared these to the AHD1100? I love the 1100s, but they’re discontinued and not of the most sturdy build. Thinking about upgrading. 

I never got around to trying the AH-D1100 because I got a better deal on the AH-D510R(got for £22 in Amazon but retailed in HMV for £80 last year!)

They are in the same classic/budget/general purpose/entry level headphones before Music Maniac came out but are a step-down from the AH-D1100. I still use them for general listening as well as the AH-D600 as the sound is crystal clear but the bass is not so present.

Whether you upgrade depends on whether you have the adequate controls in your rig to customise the sound to your liking as I needed EQ to control the boomy bass & compensate the treble frequencies for my tinnitus.

Jun 8, 2015 at 11:17 PM Post #184 of 242

Anyone compared these to the AHD1100? I love the 1100s, but they’re discontinued and not of the most sturdy build. Thinking about upgrading. 

If you like the D1100, you're gonna love the D600. The bass quantity and quality is superior on the D600s, mids are less recessed and they're built like a tank. I found the mids on the D1100 so recessed and the pads start to get warm after 30-40 minutes of use. The D600 is one of the most confortable headphone I've ever owned; It's a bit heavy but I found them even more comfortable than my D5000 and the Sony MDR-1A at least for me. If you can find one pair for around $200-230 you should really try them. 

Jun 9, 2015 at 9:07 AM Post #185 of 242
And there have been a few for sale on the classifieds for between $140 - 200............and in my opinion worth it. 

Jul 18, 2015 at 5:00 PM Post #187 of 242
So I've now owned both the Denon AH-D600 and Fostex TH-600.

There are a few reasons I can see for people hating on the Denon AH-D600:

1. They won't fit well on small heads. This is a legitimate complaint for people who don't have large heads. The shape is weird. They fit me well, though.
  2. They updated the look to be trendy. People are mad that the elegance of the Denon Dx000 is gone.
  3. They aren't made by Foster/Fostex anymore. People think Denon can't make headphones like Foster did... even though they almost certainly own the rights to make the drivers they used to.

People are friggin' crazy. The Denon AH-D600 is not quite in the same league as the Fostex, but neither has its price ever been in the same league.

You lose perhaps 20% of the amazing of the Fostex if you get the Denon, and you can get the Denon AH-D600 for under $200 used from BH. That's less than half the price of a used Fostex TH-600. You also get removable cables on the Denon, but not the Fostex. I think it's darn near criminal to have non-removable cables on such a premium headphone. The single screw keeping the earpieces on is stupid as heck as well; what a crap design to keep from the old Foster Denons.

The sound isn't much different. The Denon has a little less sub-bass, but that is largely because of the softer earpads. It also has slightly more bleed into mids, but not much. The Denon AH-D600/7100 are as much children of the Denon Dx000 series as the Fostex TH-600/900, both in truth and in sound signature. The new Denon and Fostex headphones both sound different than the old Denon (made by Foster/Fostex), but both are clearly derived from the same parent--they just took slightly different paths.

The Denon AH-D600 don't deserve the hate they get. They are great headphones at the prices you can find now. They aren't worth the original asking price, but neither are the Fostex TH-600 (and I'm not hating on them. They're my favorite headphones I own, they just aren't worth $1000... nothing I've ever heard is).

If you have a new Denon, don't feel like you need a Fostex. They might be be a little better sounding, but the law of diminishing returns is in full force here. If you enjoy the Denon, rock on. I got the Fostex because I got a great deal. I don't regret replacing the new Denons with a Fostex, but neither do I think they're as much better as people seem to think they are.

Sep 28, 2015 at 1:30 AM Post #188 of 242
  Do they sound bad?

I think the distortion numbers speak for themselves... really was not a fan of these. Bizarrely compressed sounding.

http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/DenonAHD600.pdf

Sep 28, 2015 at 3:56 AM Post #189 of 242
Nov 6, 2015 at 7:03 AM Post #190 of 242
My Denon AH-D600 (not even 20 hours used, totally brand new) will be on sale soon follow by few high end headphones. 
I will post the ad here.

I am moving away from headphones and start the journey in the Speaker World, need some fund for PSB Imagine T3 and HSU VTF-15H MK2.

Feb 17, 2016 at 6:37 PM Post #191 of 242
My Denon AH-D600 (not even 20 hours used, totally brand new) will be on sale soon follow by few high end headphones. 
I will post the ad here.

I am moving away from headphones and start the journey in the Speaker World, need some fund for PSB Imagine T3 and HSU VTF-15H MK2.
ok

Apr 7, 2016 at 11:39 AM Post #192 of 242
I just got the D600's new, after they went EOL, for $279.   Gotta say, for the price after EOL I am pretty impressed.  I got out of using headphones for about a year, but my last cans were the Mad Dog Pros.  Loved those headphones, but I think the Denons are more comfortable and the sound is great.  I'd still say the Mad Dog's were better but they were a little heavier and caused some fatigue for longer sessions (I mostly use the headphones for gaming on my PC).

Apr 11, 2016 at 7:49 AM Post #193 of 242
I took a punt on these for NZD350 (around USD239) and they arrived this afternoon. First impressions from Pro-Ject DAC Box S and Head Box S streaming Spotify Premium are as follows:

- Huge and designed for huge noggins, fortunately my head is just large enough. Any smaller and the earcups would sit too low I reckon.

- Very comfortable due to plenty of room inside the cushion like pads and gentle clamping force.

- Bass is very good. Tight with good impact and control. Not too much mid bass.

- My daily driver, the fantastic little SMS Street on ear is even easier to drive, has a smoother treble, a more intimate, warmer sound and may have even more punch down low.

- Soundstage is quite wide and deep, almost cavernous.

- Midrange does seem a touch recessed

- Treble is sparkly and a bit spiky and metallic at times. Hopefully this settles down, otherwise I may have issues at the high SPLs I generally favour.

- Quite transparent, detailed and revealing. Clinical almost. Might be time for a little tube amp.

- Excellent cable.

- Will post a pic or two below.

Apr 11, 2016 at 7:53 AM Post #194 of 242

Apr 12, 2016 at 4:22 PM Post #195 of 242
- Huge and designed for huge noggins, fortunately my head is just large enough. Any smaller and the earcups would sit too low I reckon.

- Very comfortable due to plenty of room inside the cushion like pads and gentle clamping force.
- Will post a pic or two below.

Nice pics....

You are using them without extending the sides? I wouldn't say I had a large head but I had to use 1 notch each side to be comfortable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back