Why does it matter if headphones have a frequency range below 20Hz and above 20kHz?
May 30, 2015 at 9:22 AM Post #61 of 85
  I've been looking around for some good headphones (I love bass, so I'm probably getting ATH's PRO700 Mk 2) and I keep seeing headphones with frequency ranges going from 10Hz to 34000Hz and what not. Since the human ear only can pick up sounds between 20-20000Hz, why does it matter? 
And what signifies quality in the headphone's ability to go under and above these marks? 

Thanks!
/sincere audio noob

Frequency response specs on speakers and headphones even with a dB spec can't be taken to the bank. IME, taking them seriously is a true sign of a newbie. Skip over them.

Aug 16, 2015 at 2:02 AM Post #62 of 85
Hope this thread hasn't died yet.

Came across this link today : http://www.audiocheck.net/audiotests_frequencycheckhigh.php

I want to know how reliable this website is ( & the test file provided) ?
...Regarding that, using the test tone I am able to hear upto 19kHz in my usual hearing volume & upto 20kHz at full volume !?

Any help will be appreciated. :)

Aug 16, 2015 at 3:14 PM Post #64 of 85
Be very careful with high volume at high frequencies - you could damage your speakers, your hearing, or both.

Thanks for the reply, and the advice also. :) I was actually asking about the reliability of the website I linked previously. Is that the right place to test hearing ?

Aug 19, 2015 at 8:04 AM Post #66 of 85
I've never found anything wrong with the test files. Anything in particular you're wanting to try?

Aug 19, 2015 at 12:29 PM Post #68 of 85
No, I'm just a little concerned... am I supposed to hear 20KHz ? Is my hearing that good ?
Just curious...
L3000.gif

Well you said you had to turn up the volume full blast, so it's perfectly possible you can detect 20kHz at that amplitude.

Aug 19, 2015 at 1:02 PM Post #70 of 85
It's possible that your playback chain isn't good at pure 19-20kHz tones and there's some audible distortion. It's also possible that you have excellent hearing.

Aug 19, 2015 at 1:04 PM Post #71 of 85

Well you said you had to turn up the volume full blast, so it's perfectly possible you can detect 20kHz at that amplitude.

I was listening from my mobile & it doesn't have much volume.
Also, I've previously mentioned that I could hear 19K at my usual listening volumep

could be some high IMD?
here on a mobile it's probably not too much of a concern, but just as a usual warning, do not rise the listening level when doing hearing tests! first because the all purpose of the test is to estimate your ability at normal listening levels. but also because even when not audible, some high frequencies can very much pack up enough energy to damage your ears so rising the level on frequencies we don't hear can be dangerous.

Aug 19, 2015 at 1:09 PM Post #72 of 85
One argument in favor of a bandwidth exceeding 20 Hz and 20 kHz is plausible: In audio there's no abrupt drop-offs from 0 dB down to –75 dB or the like within 1 Hz, in reality the limits have the form of (irregular) roll-offs. So to get a passably linear response from 20 Hz to 20 kHz you have to use headphones with a frequency response of at least 12 Hz–30 kHz. Morever every drop-off causes phase and transient distortion, so it's better to avoid it.

Aug 19, 2015 at 1:10 PM Post #73 of 85
Also, I've previously mentioned that I could hear 19K at my usual listening volumep

Yes, and hearing falls off quite quickly as you get up to 20k. As others have said, options are a) you have good hearing, b) the playback chain is causing distortion that is audible, though if you perceive the pitch at 20k as being higher than 18/19k, then that's probably not the problem. If you want to be sure the next thing to do is try it on a playback chain you can vouch for.

could be some high IMD?

Probably not if it's from a single tone.

Aug 19, 2015 at 2:06 PM Post #75 of 85

Yes, and hearing falls off quite quickly as you get up to 20k. As others have said, options are a) you have good hearing, b) the playback chain is causing distortion that is audible, though if you perceive the pitch at 20k as being higher than 18/19k, then that's probably not the problem. If you want to be sure the next thing to do is try it on a playback chain you can vouch for.

could be some high IMD?

Probably not if it's from a single tone.

well I didn't think from the 1khz, but from the HD from the 1khz. but I realize it would be that much further down in loudness, but why else would it be audible? unless of course our friend TAMAL is a lucky and young fellow.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back