1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Why does it matter if headphones have a frequency range below 20Hz and above 20kHz?

Discussion in 'Sound Science' started by keyboardwarrior, Nov 29, 2011.
First

Back
1 2 3 4 5
  1. TAMAL

I'm 19. Is that the cause ?

2. RRod

If you haven't ruined your ears, hearing at 20k is perfectly possible. Just keep that volume low if you want to keep it [​IMG]

3. TAMAL
    Hey thanks, RRod . I try to keep it low when I'm listening to music... :L3000:

4. Brent Pittman
    I can hear to 70khz

5. VNandor
    I hear all the frequencies that ever existed as well as all the frequencies that don't even exist.

PS.: I find X-ray induced sounds to be extremely annoying.

istfleur likes this.
  6. gregorio

It cost $620m to build LIGO? Silly rabbit, it could have cost just $1,000 (+ travel/accommodation expenses), I can hear gravitational waves!

G

7. vinaychandel123
    The general range of human hearing extends from about 20 Hz to 20 kHz, although this can vary depending upon the sensitivity of the individual ear and necessary frequency response or usual power output requirements well within the nominal spec for the product, thus minimizing distortion or other unwanted non-linearity.
    for example, of a pair of headphones like the Sennheiser HD 800 that has frequency response of 8 Hz to 51 kHz

8. bigshot
    Frequency response specs without a +/- dB after them don't mean a whole heck of a lot.

9. 71 dB
    You can't give the +/- dB value, because we live in a dumbing down culture. Too complex for most people. Technical specs have become marketing specs.

RRod likes this.
  10. Speedskater
    While with lab tone tests, many younger listeners can hear 20kHz tones and some much higher frequencies, in musical situations no one can hear anywhere near 20kHz. We should note that it's not easy to do a high frequency tone test. There are all kinds of distortion, cone breakup, noise and level problems in these tests.

Now when it comes to headphones, whatever they do above 20kHz, they need to do it gracefully. Cone breakup and peaks in the frequency response are real problems.

First

Back
1 2 3 4 5