Why (do you) still buy cds?
May 20, 2011 at 8:44 PM Post #16 of 74

Quote:
HDTracks.com is a good place to get lossless downloads.

It just isn't an option for me given the selection and prices. Even the vaunted binaural album that just came out is some eclectic drums. Just drums. No thanks. There are few albums that I may buy there, but not many.

Quote:
Unfortunately, their selection is extremely limited when it comes to a more eclectic mix than the bog-standard classic rock, jazz, classical and occasional modern vocal-centric music.  I spent a couple hours browsing through the selection there, and came up with just two bands I like - Cocteau Twins and Dead Can Dance.

Same experience, slightly different bands. They have Norah Jones, but I would have the CD (I do have come away with me).

May 21, 2011 at 2:19 AM Post #18 of 74
Is there even a legal alternative for uncompressed music? Not everything is available for flac download. If you don't want to buy music on MP3, CD seems to be the only option. Of course I wish everything is also on vinyl too.
triportsad.gif

May 21, 2011 at 2:45 AM Post #19 of 74
pcf, have you browsed archive.org? Lots of terrific uncompressed recordings and everything is free and legal.

Maybe not the latest hits, but if you want to explore the early end of the 20th century, there's a lot to love.

May 21, 2011 at 10:37 AM Post #20 of 74
Great link Erik! Some very nice suff there.
I love the John Lomax collection and all the cylinder recorded music too.

Thanks again!

May 21, 2011 at 11:37 AM Post #22 of 74
^ x2.

There's something about physically flipping through CDs and having visual cues on music genres when looking at the familiar cover art--or unfamiliar.

May 21, 2011 at 11:57 AM Post #23 of 74

Quote:
pcf, have you browsed archive.org? Lots of terrific uncompressed recordings and everything is free and legal.

Maybe not the latest hits, but if you want to explore the early end of the 20th century, there's a lot to love.

Can the general public contribute???

I should go and have a look, I'd like to contribute my whole collection in the name of posterity.

May 21, 2011 at 3:46 PM Post #24 of 74
I'm the process of converting all of my mp3 files into flac.  So, of course I'm still buying cds and I like having that physical copy as well.

May 21, 2011 at 3:54 PM Post #25 of 74

Quote:
I'm the process of converting all of my mp3 files into flac.  So, of course I'm still buying cds and I like having that physical copy as well.

I hope you understand that once the information is thrown out to make the MP3, it is gone forever. You cannot upconvert any lossy format like MP3 or OGG to FLAC and have the original copy, you will just have the same file taking up more space. Just trying to be helpful.

May 21, 2011 at 4:12 PM Post #26 of 74
Really having something is rewarding in itself... (Even if it is futile in the end, possibly.) 

I prefer CDs since I am a collector. 

May 21, 2011 at 4:22 PM Post #27 of 74
/\ +1 actually having something tangable. 

CD's are perfect for when you crash your computer too. Once, I lost all of my music to one clumsy guest. No more! (I also backup my computer now.) 

May 21, 2011 at 7:33 PM Post #30 of 74
Quote:
I hope you understand that once the information is thrown out to make the MP3, it is gone forever. You cannot upconvert any lossy format like MP3 or OGG to FLAC and have the original copy, you will just have the same file taking up more space. Just trying to be helpful.

Right you are!  What I meant(or should have specified) is I'm buying the cd verions of the mp3 albums I have so I can rip them into flac.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back