Why (do you) still buy cds?
May 18, 2011 at 6:58 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 74

blackbird

100+ Head-Fier
I  buy them because I hate mp3s. Also, my conscience doesn't allow me to pirate.
I mostly buy used, except the rare cds that are so expensive, that I might as well buy new (e.g. Fleet Foxes, The National)

May 18, 2011 at 7:13 PM Post #2 of 74
I just torrent everything. I don't have the money to buy CD's plus its much more convenient and less time consuming then going out to buy a CD. Plus once I rip it, what am I going to do with the CD? Although I do enjoy having some CD's. If its my favourite album of all time I'll buy the CD just to have it, even though I already downloaded it. And when ripping a CD you have a lot more options for quality and file type then a download. iTunes gives you 128 AAC files while from a CD you can choose lossless.

May 18, 2011 at 7:14 PM Post #3 of 74
I buy cds regularly because I have a fullsize home set up and tons of vintage PCDPs that I use. Also some of the cds I own are rare and discontinued (MFSL cds, Japan 1st pressings, Japan and Europe single track cds, etc.) making them worthwhile to purchase or collect them.

May 18, 2011 at 9:38 PM Post #4 of 74
CD's because I enjoy spinning them in old cars, players, and transports. Nevertheless, I spend a lot of time ripping them onto my iPhone. I just feel like having a CD for backup, and there's some magical energy in spinning CD's through a CD player, or looking at the back for the tracks, or reading the lyrics in your hand. Also, some of my more obscure CD's are impossible to find/special edition, making it harder to source on internet. Of course, this applies with me to vinyl also...

May 18, 2011 at 10:11 PM Post #5 of 74
I still buy cd because legal flac download sites are limited.

May 19, 2011 at 4:54 PM Post #6 of 74
quality and availability.  half the stuff i want to buy isnt available outside the US period, when its on a cd amazon is happy to ship but for digital stuff its not allowed.

cd's dont recognise boarders and rights ownership differences and thats how i want it to be

May 19, 2011 at 5:09 PM Post #7 of 74
I'm really only into the amateur stuff (indie?) in Japan, they call it doujin. Since they aren't popular, no one really bothers to upload them.
But at freaking 30-40 bucks a pop after shipping, it gets very painful for the wallet. Especially considering they only 'actually' cost 5-10 dollars each.

Oh well, at least it's easy-ish to get them signed by the singers themselves, since they are the actual person selling it at them conventions ^^

May 20, 2011 at 1:24 AM Post #8 of 74
I buy used CDs because they're so cheap today. I regularly find them for $1 or $2 each.

I won't pirate. Though I will (eventually) rip all the Red Book discs into lossless and put them on a music server while dropping the CDs into deep storage as a backup.

The SACDs will stay out on the rack. You can't rip Scarlet Book and the grumpy old side of me still enjoys putting a disc into a player.

May 20, 2011 at 1:52 PM Post #9 of 74
I buy CDs because I grown up with the format and became a collector of early CDs.  As a collector, this is a great time as people dump their CDs without knowing what treasures they have in their CDs.  Nothing beats having a disc in my hands.  I don't intent to give up on the format and refuse to do any downloading.

May 20, 2011 at 2:05 PM Post #10 of 74

Quote:
I still buy cd because legal flac download sites are limited.

Exactly. Where the heck do I get good quality music legally? 

Quote:
I buy used CDs because they're so cheap today. I regularly find them for $1 or $2 each.

I won't pirate. Though I will (eventually) rip all the Red Book discs into lossless and put them on a music server while dropping the CDs into deep storage as a backup.

The SACDs will stay out on the rack. You can't rip Scarlet Book and the grumpy old side of me still enjoys putting a disc into a player.

Ebay is amazing for cheap music. Get a good seller that will really combine shipping, and you can get CDs for around $3 shipped. Although I have been buying some new stuff lately that is around $10.

May 20, 2011 at 2:06 PM Post #11 of 74
To rip to FLAC.  That's about it.  Occasionally I'll buy a cd directly through the band (especially if I'm at a show) so they get the money directly.  All the cds in my cars are burned, since life in a car is rough on a cd; the original physical copies sit in their jewel cases on a shelf next to my computer desk.

Also, quite often when I'm using music as a background for doing something else (drafting, gaming, etc), I queue up a couple songs from each album and compile them into a rough, very elastic playlist.  Just makes more sense to do everything digitally.

May 20, 2011 at 4:06 PM Post #15 of 74
Unfortunately, their selection is extremely limited when it comes to a more eclectic mix than the bog-standard classic rock, jazz, classical and occasional modern vocal-centric music.  I spent a couple hours browsing through the selection there, and came up with just two bands I like - Cocteau Twins and Dead Can Dance.

Quote:
HDTracks.com is a good place to get lossless downloads.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back