Why (do you) still buy cds?
May 31, 2011 at 4:25 AM Post #61 of 74
Because my sister just had some kind of problem with her mac account and itunes wouldn't let her play any of the songs she downloaded through itunes.  I knew that kind of thing would happen, and I refuse to pay for DRM music. 

May 31, 2011 at 3:49 PM Post #62 of 74

Quote:
Because my sister just had some kind of problem with her mac account and itunes wouldn't let her play any of the songs she downloaded through itunes.  I knew that kind of thing would happen, and I refuse to pay for DRM music. 

itunes isn't drm anymore. trust me i have bought music from itunes with no problems. their videos and apps are still drm though.

May 31, 2011 at 3:50 PM Post #63 of 74
yeah I don't trust them, I think DRM is much more evil than just downloading illegally.  So I'd rather buy a CD that way no one has any control or say over the files.  They're just mine, end of story. 

May 31, 2011 at 3:56 PM Post #64 of 74
Is the RIAA still chasing that, "If you buy a cd, you're really just leasing the music, you don't own it!" drivel?  I remember that coming up a few years back regarding burning backup cds, but I actively avoid articles about the RIAA because that....."organisation" makes me want to punch babies.

But, I agree - if I'm buying music, it will be a discrete physical copy with no DRM attached; I'd pay $15 for a cd rather than $10 for the digital version in most cases.

Quote:
yeah I don't trust them, I think DRM is much more evil than just downloading illegally.  So I'd rather buy a CD that way no one has any control or say over the files.  They're just mine, end of story. 

May 31, 2011 at 4:05 PM Post #65 of 74
As long as I'm not downloading from a large company either a third party like Apple, or the distributor like Sony or BMG or something I'm fine with it.  I bought Radiohead's recent album digital only and I feel good about it. 

May 31, 2011 at 11:31 PM Post #66 of 74
Quote:
pcf, have you browsed archive.org? Lots of terrific uncompressed recordings and everything is free and legal.

Maybe not the latest hits, but if you want to explore the early end of the 20th century, there's a lot to love.

I love that website, I was in heaven when I discovered all those live Estradasphere recordings, I downloaded over 25 albums. XD

The quality of the live recordings may be sketchy for something that's technically CD quality, but its clean and really puts me there. I love there style of "Jazz"

My music library really should only be around 180GB, Archive.org pushed it to 304GB. You really put it best, there a lot to love on archive.org; especially for Deadheads.
tongue.gif

Jun 1, 2011 at 12:33 AM Post #67 of 74
I buy CDs because it is so easy. If I like an artist, I go to Amazon.com and click on the buy options and get a CD for a discounted price, say $10 or less. Too easy!

I like the idea of holding on to a CD because you cannot delete the files. Especially if it is a good CD-I upload it to my Apple laptop and play it through my DAC and I'm in heaven.

I feel secure because I have the back up  music files on disc. Hear it on crystal clear sound of CD man! CD rocks brotha. I love CD. Digital is fun. -Play it though a tube amp, and your set man.

Jun 1, 2011 at 1:31 AM Post #68 of 74

Quote:
I buy CDs because it is so easy. If I like an artist, I go to Amazon.com and click on the buy options and get a CD for a discounted price, say $10 or less. Too easy!

I like the idea of holding on to a CD because you cannot delete the files. Especially if it is a good CD-I upload it to my Apple laptop and play it through my DAC and I'm in heaven.

I feel secure because I have the back up  music files on disc. Hear it on crystal clear sound of CD man! CD rocks brotha. I love CD. Digital is fun. -Play it though a tube amp, and your set man.

x2

Jun 2, 2011 at 2:05 AM Post #69 of 74
1. Because my source is a CD Player
2. I like buying,owning and collecting albums
3. The question should be why do you buy mp3's? Plenty of albums out there cost much less.
 Plenty of albums out there don't even have a option of buying a mp3 version maybe on Itunes but I know amazon mp3 doesn't.
 And even new albums CD $10. MP3 version $9.50 yeah I will get the CD. And CDs through online stores have very good prices.
4.Even if your into MP3s,FLAC,WMA whatever if you have the CD you can rip it yourself into whichever quality and format you want.
5.Don't want to be strapped to a PC to listen to music.

Jun 2, 2011 at 2:13 AM Post #70 of 74
I concur with this statement.. besides the cd player part.  + if your computer implodes and you never ripped your mp3s to cd.. you are owned.

Quote:
1. Because my source is a CD Player
2. I like buying,owning and collecting albums
3. The question should be why do you buy mp3's? Plenty of albums out there cost much less.
 Plenty of albums out there don't even have a option of buying a mp3 version maybe on Itunes but I know amazon mp3 doesn't.
 And even new albums CD $10. MP3 version $9.50 yeah I will get the CD. And CDs through online stores have very good prices.
4.Even if your into MP3s,FLAC,WMA whatever if you have the CD you can rip it yourself into whichever quality and format you want.
5.Don't want to be strapped to a PC to listen to music.

Jun 2, 2011 at 7:33 AM Post #71 of 74
I buy CDs because I like to be able to hold the media in my hands, see the cover art and read the liner notes. I enjoy perusing my collection and maintaining a database, Collectorz’s Music collector, that allows me to re-sequence in any order I want, search for tracks…etc. Most of my Cds were bought used on Amazon, the cost is low compared to digital downloads and sound quality is most often better. I also tend to buy music that isn’t available digitally.  

Jun 2, 2011 at 1:56 PM Post #72 of 74
Likewise, if you scratch or crack a cd, you're screwed.

Quote:
I concur with this statement.. besides the cd player part.  + if your computer implodes and you never ripped your mp3s to cd.. you are owned.

Jun 2, 2011 at 4:38 PM Post #73 of 74
Jun 8, 2011 at 11:51 PM Post #74 of 74
I have tried their site and I also added a bunch of stuff to the cart tonight only to clear them out because I just realize that Amazon had all the cd's there and none of the stuff i picked out on hdtracks were in high def anyway. So, might as well have physical copies. just very nice to have.. artwork, jewel cases, cd. for collection you know.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back