Why (do you) still buy cds?
May 21, 2011 at 8:51 PM Post #31 of 74
CDs sound best still in my system. I use an old CD player and it sounds better than computer audio. I would like to remidy the situation and am looking at a new DAC.

May 22, 2011 at 12:33 PM Post #32 of 74

Quote:
Right you are!  What I meant(or should have specified) is I'm buying the cd verions of the mp3 albums I have so I can rip them into flac.

Right on! I have been introduced to some new music through Amazon's free mp3 of the day or their free label samplers in mp3, and gone on to buy the CDs.

May 22, 2011 at 9:37 PM Post #34 of 74
Quote:
Right on! I have been introduced to some new music through Amazon's free mp3 of the day or their free label samplers in mp3, and gone on to buy the CDs.

You know, that's not a bad idea.  I think I'm going to try that after I'm done with my initial collection.

May 23, 2011 at 12:17 AM Post #36 of 74
As others have said, CD's are tangible and cheap. They are also easy to lend to people and usable with those old players that don't have an auxiliary input. I will continue to buy as many as I can afford, but I'm curious about what the future holds. Will digital music eventually be the end of all physical records?
frown.gif

May 25, 2011 at 4:33 PM Post #37 of 74
I download the flacs first and If i like it (what I do ofc or else I wouldnt download it)
I buy the CD)or let ppl buy them for me
cool.gif
Because a CD has something that a download doesnt some sort of "soul" the feel of a new jewel case and that pretty shiny disc  makes me ecstatic

May 25, 2011 at 5:08 PM Post #38 of 74
Because HDTracks has a limited selection and I basically don't trust an unknown third party to rip and upload some unknown quantity.  Pardon me if checksums don't offset my paranoia.

May 25, 2011 at 5:16 PM Post #39 of 74
I don't buy CD's anymore. Everything is digital. I find mp3's with a bit rate of 192kbps or more is satisfactory.

May 25, 2011 at 5:19 PM Post #40 of 74
I buy them because:

1) I like to do my own rips and know they were 100% accurate, top quality lossless rip;
2) I actually like the process of applying my own file/folder structure and tagging conventions to each new album, sure I could re-do it on files I bought but its not the same;
3) I find I have complete mental blanks when I go to digital audio sites anyway and can't think of anything I want, I like browsing through a music shop and spotting bands I've been meaning to have a look at, or albums I'd lost and forgotten about, or occasionally taking a complete gamble on a great front cover;
4) There is something nice about coming home with a physical object and reading the insert, the ritual of ripping it and then having a physical object I can lend to friends who I think will like it;
5) Music shops will disappear from the face of the earth and all music will go digital. No liner notes, they'll probably start releasing only 200x200 album art files and what would we be able to do if they all decided to save money on band width and ALL MUSIC was 160kbps forever! It could happen... 

Keep the power of music quality in our own hands I say.

May 29, 2011 at 12:34 AM Post #44 of 74

Quote:
Ah, yes the loaning factor. Its much easier to give someone a cd and say "listen to this" than it is to say "go download this".

I'd have to say "That probably is the BEST" reason,great call blackbird!!! But I'll add I listen to them in my Truck and work system.. My vinyl barely leaves my main Room...

May 29, 2011 at 12:58 AM Post #45 of 74

Quote:
Cuz compressed (mp3 etc.) music is sub-par and there is not enough lossless stuff on the net yet.

i don't notice an audible difference between 320kbps mp3 and flac files. they all sound just as good to me. in fact i am quite satisfied with 192kbps or more, and i rarely download flac because it's 500 mb per cd

Users who are viewing this thread

Back