Why do you listen to headphones?
Sep 30, 2004 at 5:12 PM Post #46 of 69
Quote:

Originally Posted by kiwirugby
No option for both. For me sometimes it's necessity and other times because headphones provide a really great musical experience, especially late at night after a good dinner and with a really good cognac.

Hehe. I consciously left out "both" because I wanted people to pick between the two (although I did provide an "other" alternative). I've learned you A/B polls and offer a middle avenue, people tend to migrate towards the middle of the road
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 30, 2004 at 5:21 PM Post #48 of 69
i voted "other," because "both" wasn't an option.

i started listening to headphones out of necessity... apartment living, had a kid, i'm a bit more intense and obsessive about music than my wife.

but now i think i actually prefer listening to headphones... i've been conditioned to listen to music in a different way; getting absorbed in the details, that sort of out-of-body experience of having the music exist in your head... it's kind of addictive.

Sep 30, 2004 at 5:48 PM Post #50 of 69
Quote:

Originally Posted by VicAjax
i voted "other," because "both" wasn't an option.

i started listening to headphones out of necessity... apartment living, had a kid, i'm a bit more intense and obsessive about music than my wife.

but now i think i actually prefer listening to headphones... i've been conditioned to listen to music in a different way; getting absorbed in the details, that sort of out-of-body experience of having the music exist in your head... it's kind of addictive.

Same here. I moved from a house to a townhouse, and my trophy speaker system became virtually unusable because it fed into the building structure at even medium levels. I largely gave up listening to music except in the car.

Bought a set of headphones in a desperate attempt to regain access to my music collection, stumbled across Head-Fi, and discovered the wonderful, wacky world of headphone audio. Today I use headphones because I prefer them for most of my listening. I like the isolation, the privacy, and the immersive experience that my rigs provide. I miss the ability to hang "sonic wallpaper" while I work around the house, but headphones give me everything else.

BW

Sep 30, 2004 at 6:11 PM Post #51 of 69
I listen to phones due to necessity, but also cause of preference. I've used phones much more often than speakers, so it became a habit. My apt. is on the third floor, and there's no one below us atm, so I could crank my speakers if I wanted (to a reasonable level). Too bad mine suck. Besides speakers = $$$$$$, phones = $$$$.

Not to mention people thinks it's weird when you blast a Korn song right after a Beatles track. And then follow up with N'Sync. Then with a couple in different languages. People talk.
wink.gif

Sep 30, 2004 at 8:30 PM Post #52 of 69
I listen out of necessity. I MUST not hear my co-worker's chatter!

See, I first got V6s 12 years ago in the Navy since I couldn't have speakers. I noticed they sounded better than any speakers I'd heard up to that point, and I begun to prefer headphones, but because of situational limitations, I didn't seek good loudspeakers. Now several years out of the Navy, my rig is at work, and I naturally cannot have a speaker setup since I'm not CEO. Oddly, though, the necessity seems to have shifted focus from "instead of speakers" to "to drown out what's-her-name." I work near a loud coworker who distracts me endlessly. Seriously: some days when she's not here, I listen to zero music. When she is here, I listen to 3-8 albums per day. Listening daily has made me notice how bad my first rig was (V6 from computer headphone jack) and over time, I've upgraded to a full blown system, the price of which I would have rolled my eyes at 6 years ago. The only problem is that my DAC and new amp won't fit in my locking cabinet here, but with a combined weight of like 60 Lbs, I think it's unlikely for the units to grow legs. The office is locked anyway. I am exploring means of locking the rig up, though.

Home rig? I don't have any plans for a speaker setup. Maybe someday. I get my fix of music at work, though, as 3-9 hours of music each day is plenty for me.

Oct 1, 2004 at 1:44 AM Post #53 of 69
I bought closed headphones so that I could ride on the bus/subway and not hear all the noises and not bother the other passengers with my music. Since then I have been opened up to the world of hi-fi through headphones... so they will always have a special place with me I think. There is a personal quality with headphones that you loose somewhat with speakers... Then again I was completely blown away by Tomeks speaker rig. So a little bit of both I guess.
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 1, 2004 at 1:57 AM Post #55 of 69
I'd vote for both of the above. The "bang for the buck" factor with headphones vs speakers cannot be denied IMHO. However, I like the freedom that comes with listening to music without being tethered. This is nearly impossible with a house full of young kids and a wife who doesn't always appreciate my taste (and volume level) in music over a speaker system. There's also my preferred time to listen - late in the evening...not the ideal speaker listening time when folks are trying to sleep.

Oct 1, 2004 at 3:12 AM Post #56 of 69
I only use headphones for my DAP, i listen to it more than my Panasonic shelf system. Also in my house we dont have an AC so in the summer my shelf system gets really hot and my little room just sucks the heat.

Oct 1, 2004 at 3:26 AM Post #58 of 69
I wear headphones out of preference, and necessity. Late at night, when I can't sleep (often), I like to put in my cans, close my eyes and let myself be transported away. There is no speaker that I have heard that can give me the feeling that I am there when I close my eyes. Live recordings make me feel like I am in the crowd, and good mixes make me feel like I am in the studio. Necessity wise, I have a wife and daughter who wouldn't appreciate me playing the stereo every night to help me wind down enough to sleep.

Oct 1, 2004 at 4:32 AM Post #59 of 69
I love headphones. I have grown up listening to them instead of speakers. I also like a variety of weird music which disturbs some people, so I don't disturb anyone by using headphones.

Cheers,
Geek

Oct 1, 2004 at 6:36 AM Post #60 of 69
Bang for the buck, as others (uncledan, commando, others) have indicated. My modest collection of $100-ish cans (A500, DT531, even V6) sound much, MUCH better than my $200 speakers.

I also like that I can listen without disturbing others (wife, co-workers, guests at the hotel that I am resident manager of, etc).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back