Why do you listen to headphones?
Sep 30, 2004 at 3:31 PM Post #31 of 69
Errr, is BOTH an answer? Some albums simply sound BETTER through headphones. I can't imagine listening to Dark Side of the Moon outloud (unless it was in like a super surround theater or something). But sometimes it's a necessity for when my parents are busy/asleep or they don't wanna hear whatever i'm playing (like my death metal bands).
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 30, 2004 at 3:40 PM Post #32 of 69
A little bit of both. I'm saving now for a nice speaker setup but its not cheap. And I should probably wait until noise won't be such a big problem.

When you getting the MPX3 Len?

Sep 30, 2004 at 3:57 PM Post #33 of 69
By choice here. I've got a room in the house dedicated to audio & video, with some decent (Paradigm, Musical Fidelity, etc.) equipment for music playback. Double-glazed windows and no adjacent neighbor walls, so disturbing others isn't even a problem. Yet I still find myself using the headphone rig(s) 85% of the time.

Why? I suppose part of it is that I can lose myself in the music with cans on (as previously mentioned). But the other reason is that I've always loved headphones, and the way they make the music yours and yours alone. Been doing it that way for 30 years, and not likely to change anytime soon...

Sep 30, 2004 at 4:00 PM Post #35 of 69
I can't really crank up the volume to satisfying level without bothering my wife and waking up my poor 3 year old son. My only feasible option is a pair of headphones
icon10.gif

Sep 30, 2004 at 4:01 PM Post #36 of 69
Quote:

Originally Posted by hop ham
When you getting the MPX3 Len?

I'm waiting for Mikhail to get back to me. He seems swamped right now, and I'm understandably probably not very high on his priority list (We're working out a partnership where I supply him tubes where an MPX3 will be part of the exchange)
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 30, 2004 at 4:11 PM Post #37 of 69
While I was tempted to pick necessity, since often the case, I also have more flexibility with headphones. Cheaper equip so can sample dif sounds.

I wonder why I even replied, who cares what other peoplese motivations were. Do what is right for you.

Headphones are great on the go, for not annoying neighboors or significant others, room positioning, cheaper to buy/drive.

Prefer classical concerts above all but getting tickets and decent/affordable seats that fits my schedule not so easy. Next desire speakers since I love SET&Wide Range Driver sound. But love music more than the media or hardware. Headphones are fun to hear dif sonics at less cost.

Oh last and certainly not least this is a fantastic forum.

Sep 30, 2004 at 4:17 PM Post #38 of 69
Voted other. When I started, it was mainly because of the sleeping kids and not being able to crank the volume on the speakers. Now, after getting the R10s and tube anp, I actually prefer the phones for certain things, especially chamber music. Frankly if I hand the space, I would get high rnd speakers and give them a whirl. Right now, I get pretty good sound from a sub sta set up B&W. Good quality, just not full range. Someday I may get some Focal JM Labs full range speakers, or maybe the B&W 800 signatures. Then I'll prolly love them the most!

Sep 30, 2004 at 4:20 PM Post #39 of 69
Quote:

Originally Posted by Len
I'm waiting for Mikhail to get back to me. He seems swamped right now, and I'm understandably probably not very high on his priority list (We're working out a partnership where I supply him tubes where an MPX3 will be part of the exchange)
smily_headphones1.gif

That sounds like a great idea -- except do me a favor and hold on to a pair of Bad Boys if you got 'em
icon10.gif
. We will be in touch Len.

Sorry, back to the topic.

Sep 30, 2004 at 4:20 PM Post #40 of 69
Quote:

Originally Posted by N@Z
Voted for necessity. Although I prefer it sometime I need a break & listen to speakers.

Agreed -- speakers seem so much more relaxing to listen to sometimes.

Sep 30, 2004 at 4:26 PM Post #41 of 69
I use my headphones in order to block out external noises, especially subway trains, buses, airplanes, the TV and my husband snoring at night. I only wish it was safe to wear my canal phones while walking or driving through NYC streets.

Sep 30, 2004 at 4:34 PM Post #42 of 69
Seeing as to how I listen to music exclusively at home, I only put on my my headphones when I am looking for that intimacy and resolution that only headphones can provide (at least on my budget and current listening environment). I used to be primarily a headphone user until I finally ponied up and got speakers; Most of my listening is via the speakers now, but I still like to use my headphones - especially late at night.

BTW, DSOTM sounds phenomenal on speakers via SET
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 30, 2004 at 4:37 PM Post #43 of 69
I listen to headphones because:

1. Space is limited in my room so presently I don't have the space for a speaker set up.

2. I can't afford to purchase a good pair of speakers, but can easily afford a great pair of headphones.

3. Can't crank the volume up on a speaker set up without driving my neighbors nuts since I do most of my listening late at night.

Despite all of the listed reasons above, I probably will eventually get a speaker set up.

Sep 30, 2004 at 4:52 PM Post #44 of 69
Im just really getting into it lately, although Ive used Koss pro4Xplus cans since 85' and MDR-V6 since early 2001.

Great bang for the buck, sound quality, unsurpassed detailed clarity.

I also like listening to recordings using the same or very similar equipment that the engineers used in the studio.... Usually AKGs of some sort.

Garrett

Sep 30, 2004 at 4:57 PM Post #45 of 69
No option for both. For me sometimes it's necessity and other times because headphones provide a really great musical experience, especially late at night after a good dinner and with a really good cognac.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back