Why do you listen to headphones?
Sep 30, 2004 at 5:43 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 69

Len

500+ Head-Fier
I know it sounds like a loaded question
wink.gif
but it's not. I'm really curious if people listen to headphone rigs primarily by choice or by necessity (financial, portability, nondisturbance of neighbors, etc.).

Sep 30, 2004 at 5:50 AM Post #4 of 69
well i live with my parents and i cant really play my speakers very loud. So when I want to listen to music by myself without distraction, I use my headphones.

Sep 30, 2004 at 6:02 AM Post #7 of 69
I listen to headphones for a couple reasons, none of which is necessity. One, I like the sound much better than that of the speakers I have (granted, they are $50 2.1 computer speakers being compared to Grado SR-60's, but it still counts). Two, I don't want to invest in better speakers because headphones are much more versatile for me. I can move around the house with them, go walking with them, hide them from teachers, etc. Finally, nobody can listen to what I'm listening to. Parents can't get irritated, plus I can wear my Metallica and Iron Maiden shirts while listening to whatever I want to. I'd get quite a few stares if people knew I was listening to Cypress Hill and old Monty Python and Cheech & Chong sketches.

Sep 30, 2004 at 6:13 AM Post #10 of 69
When I'm using my headphones, I'm usually at my computer desk, where I'm able to read, study, surf the net while listening to ultra-pure, detailed music with an unmatched level of intimacy. However, there are also times that I want the enveloping sound and space that only a good pair of speakers can provide. So, for me, it's headphones for convenience or intimacy, and speaker rig to take me to the event.

Sep 30, 2004 at 6:15 AM Post #11 of 69
i really only listen to music on the go.

being a college kid, i spend most of my time listening to music walking to and from class. i would have no use for speakers at the moment, not to mention no real place to crank 'em.

speakers are nice, but headphones have a unique quality to them, especially canalphones: intimacy. i find, hearing nothing but music in your head to be a truly awesome experience.

when i buy a house, i'll pick up some speakers.

the ipod/canalphone combo sounds damn good anyway.

Sep 30, 2004 at 6:39 AM Post #12 of 69
Canalphones let me listen to music without disturbing my roommate, so it's really out of necessity -- I considered getting speakers, but thought it'd be rather easy to unintentionally play music too loud at the wrong times.

Sep 30, 2004 at 6:44 AM Post #13 of 69
I listen to headphones primarily because to get the same kind of fidelity, I would have to spend close to $30k on a speaker system. My headphone system cost me about $2k

The added benefit is that I can listen to music late at night without disturbing my neighbors. However, the primary reason is sound fidelity.

Sep 30, 2004 at 6:45 AM Post #14 of 69
I have a hard enough staying still under normal conditions, but when I'm listening to music (especially music that I really like) I just have to move. So I mostly listen when I'm traveling or when kind of stuck sitting - like when I'm at my computer. If/when I get a house and neighbors are no longer such an issue, I'll purchase some amazing speakers and be able to indulge in my odd habit of pacing around my livingroom while I fingerpoint to old hardcore records. Until then...headphones.

Sep 30, 2004 at 7:09 AM Post #15 of 69
I listen to headphones because:

1) I hate speakers! I especially hate loud music on speakers. Headphones let me get lost in the music. It's my own private world, complete with chocolate and puppies.

2) I hate people! People know I can speak English, so that excuse doesn't work anymore. Wearing headphones means I can't hear them so they are less likely to pull me out of my private world of music, chocolate and puppies.

3) Did I mention I hate speakers?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back