Why do you guys spend so much on Open Headphones?
Feb 19, 2005 at 2:05 AM Post #121 of 171
Quote:

Originally Posted by XtremeD
*Flame Thread Alert*

I can understand buying expensive open headphones, if they are used with portables.

I can't understand what you apparently can understand. Portables need closed, or at least leak-restricting phones.

Also, how many open headphones apart from the HD600 have you had to make youjr judgement?

And from not knowing what neutral means on the 6th of Feb to the top of the range Nautilus now... that's an impressive leap
wink.gif

Feb 19, 2005 at 6:12 AM Post #123 of 171
Quote:

Originally Posted by bangraman
And from not knowing what neutral means on the 6th of Feb to the top of the range Nautilus now... that's an impressive leap
wink.gif

As a person who replied to his very first post I'm sure you know him better than the rest of us.
wink.gif

I really envy the fact that he had amassed so much wealth in 2 yrs time.

edit - correction, he already got 1000 watt amp back then.

Feb 19, 2005 at 6:15 AM Post #124 of 171
I'm pretty sure we've all been First Class Troll'ed.

Maybe we should just hang the "Don't Feed the Trolls" sign on this thread and kill it with a sledgehammer - you know, the same one we've been using on the fool...I mean, fellow member
tongue.gif

Feb 19, 2005 at 6:24 AM Post #125 of 171
Well...Duncan knows his father is rich...so it is not that far fetched. Some people out there ARE insanely rich. One of my classmates is the brother of Eugene Melnyk (owner of the Ottawa Senators). Melnyk is a billionaire. If Eugene so chose, he could easily provide his bro with a million dollar setup without skipping a beat.

However, I want to see pics, just cause it would be awesome to see this.

Feb 19, 2005 at 6:32 AM Post #126 of 171
Quote:

Originally Posted by Snake
I'm pretty sure we've all been First Class Troll'ed.

Maybe we should just hang the "Don't Feed the Trolls" sign on this thread and kill it with a sledgehammer - you know, the same one we've been using on the fool...I mean, fellow member
tongue.gif

I haven't been here long enough to witness this worthy member, but very interested to see the real picture. As said here it's better to use large speakers than tiny phones icon. =)

trolls.gif

Feb 19, 2005 at 12:44 PM Post #127 of 171
Surely someone with such a speaker setup must posssess the finest in digicams as well. Maybe a pic from the absolutely spectacular ""Hasselblad H1d"" would satisfy us curious folks here.

Now wouldn't that be something.
As for having speakers that expensive, the people that have such equipment usually don't end up bragging about it but just sit back and enjoy the music. Why on earth would you want to advertise that you possess such an expensive system? I know I wouldn't.

Kunwar

Feb 19, 2005 at 1:00 PM Post #128 of 171
I second that suggestion! You can talk the talk, but can you walk the walk? Or play your speakers so loud I could hear them over the forums?
tongue.gif
tongue.gif
tongue.gif

Too funny,
Abe

Feb 19, 2005 at 1:26 PM Post #129 of 171
Quote:

*Flame Thread Alert*

I can understand buying expensive open headphones, if they are used with portables. But I don't understand when you're at home, why do you listen with headphones that give out sound, defeating the whole objective of having a headphone.

I however, have 7 B&W signature speakers, rated the best speakers money can buy, and so I wonder why you lot spend so much on headphones which try to do what speakers, espescially my range, beat straight away?

What's the deal?

Sounds like a question he got from his parents.

I believe he can reply by "my open cans give most of enjoyment of your siggies for much less money, and I didn't intend to beat your 7 speakers".

Well he succeeded in getting flames anyway.
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 19, 2005 at 1:29 PM Post #130 of 171
Yes, and the flames will rage on until someone gets burned
tongue.gif

Feb 19, 2005 at 7:29 PM Post #131 of 171
Quote:

Originally Posted by seeberg
Yes, and the flames will rage on until someone gets burned
tongue.gif

Only if fueled.
tongue.gif

Head-Fi responds to this sort of provocation with a conditioned defensiveness that would make Pavlov proud. A moment's reflection suggests that anyone who asks the original question probably isn't going to understand the answer. Or wish to.

BW

Feb 19, 2005 at 8:44 PM Post #132 of 171
Quote:

*Flame Thread Alert*

I can understand buying expensive open headphones, if they are used with portables. But I don't understand when you're at home, why do you listen with headphones that give out sound, defeating the whole objective of having a headphone.

I however, have 7 B&W signature speakers, rated the best speakers money can buy, and so I wonder why you lot spend so much on headphones which try to do what speakers, espescially my range, beat straight away?

What's the deal?

you have got a few things way off. The whole objective of headphones is not to keep the sound in. This is ONE purpose of some headphones, just like DJ headphones which isolate outside noise. Open headphones are quality consious, they trade the leakage for better sound.

Why would people spend so much on headphones?
-Speakers won't work for everyone's environment. Even if you have $50k speakers driven by a $10k amp and a $5k source, it will still sound horrible in a basement with stone walls and bare concrete floor!

-Headphones offer a huge amount of detail for the money. You would have to spend a lot more in a speaker to be able to hear the same stuff you hear through a headphone.

-You can move headphones from room to room. What do you do when you want to listen to music in your bed room, then your living room? Do you move the speakers, cables, source, amp, etc over?

-No matter how loudly you listen to open headphones, there is no way they will be as loud as speakers at low listening levels. Even cranked up to unbearable listening levels my open headphones only emit a soft noise, certainly not enough to disturb someone in the next room.

why would you spend so much on conventional speakers, why not get planar speakers or horns?
rolleyes.gif

Feb 20, 2005 at 12:59 AM Post #133 of 171
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrsl
My friend has the KEF XQ5 series system, and my Sennheiser HD-600 + Canton AS25SC Subwoofer comes very close for 10% of the price. My Stax3030 + Subwoofer might even be slightly better.

My god that might just be the holy grail. Stax+sub, I should have thought of that before! All the advantages of stax, with no disadvantages!

Feb 20, 2005 at 9:50 AM Post #134 of 171
Quote:

Originally Posted by taymat
My god that might just be the holy grail. Stax+sub, I should have thought of that before! All the advantages of stax, with no disadvantages!

Seriously, have you tried them ? With budget stax as lambda basic I don't think there's a need for sub at all. I hear natural, fast and pleasant bass, in fact I believe that bass and mids are actually stax's strong points, no way you can hear such bass out of electrostat speakers. While Stax's seemingly super detailed high frequency served as a disadvantage to my ear. Of course I may be the minority here, but imo they're quite different to electrostats speaker that I heard. Anyway that's nitpicking, and sure Stax give one of the best sound and simply a different level of enjoyment on headphones.

Feb 20, 2005 at 10:00 AM Post #135 of 171
I have a certain fondness for Stax; I've seen very reasonable prices on amp/phones combos on eBay, but am content with my Grados. I wonder if I should get a used pair in the future?
Should I
lambda.gif
?,
Abe

Users who are viewing this thread

Back