Why do you guys spend so much on Open Headphones?
Feb 17, 2005 at 10:31 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 171

XtremeD

100+ Head-Fier
*Flame Thread Alert*

I can understand buying expensive open headphones, if they are used with portables. But I don't understand when you're at home, why do you listen with headphones that give out sound, defeating the whole objective of having a headphone.

I however, have 7 B&W signature speakers, rated the best speakers money can buy, and so I wonder why you lot spend so much on headphones which try to do what speakers, espescially my range, beat straight away?

What's the deal?

Feb 17, 2005 at 10:35 AM Post #3 of 171
But that is my point exactly, you do disturb everyone around you. Open headphones give out sound like heck.

Feb 17, 2005 at 10:36 AM Post #4 of 171
if I had the space and wasn't changing apartments every year or so I would probably have a nice speaker setup. also, headphones give a different experience than speakers so there's that.

Feb 17, 2005 at 10:39 AM Post #5 of 171
Quote:

Originally Posted by XtremeD
But that is my point exactly, you do disturb everyone around you. Open headphones give out sound like heck.

But I don't. I live by myself, but if I used speakers, I would distub my neighbors. Open headphones also have this tendancy to sound better.

And they really don't leak all that much if you're listening at a reasonable level.

Feb 17, 2005 at 10:39 AM Post #6 of 171
In my case, I listen to headphones in my room because I dont want to disturb anyone else. Since everyone else is in a different room, then they cannot hear the small amount of sound the headphones leak out anyway.

Feb 17, 2005 at 10:41 AM Post #7 of 171
Quote:

Originally Posted by XtremeD

i meant the next house/appartment. how can you listen to your setup all the time, when ur gunna annoying the ppl liveing around you.

Feb 17, 2005 at 10:59 AM Post #9 of 171
* Better sound for less $$$
* LAN gamers generally used Open Headphones for Clan based team games so they can vocally comminicate with their teammates
* Doesnt make nearly enough noise as speakers, I can use my MS-2s at home without hassle, whereas my parents in the living room complain about my speakers being audible over the TV (stupid TV)
* Generally sound better than closed headphones, and some nutcases like me listen to open headphones loud enough so they isolate in public while making enough noise - who cares, every man and his dog with a pair of ****** buds does the same, mine just sounds better
biggrin.gif

Feb 17, 2005 at 11:04 AM Post #10 of 171
Open headphones don't disturb anyone in another room then where I am. And I don't have headphones to not disturb others I have them because they are a relatively cheap solution to bad room acoustics.

Feb 17, 2005 at 11:19 AM Post #11 of 171
IMO even a decent set of phones don't outperform a good set of speakers, I have RS-1's and they're great...but my Hi-Fi system still sounds better. Granted the total price of the Hi-Fi is higher (amplification etc) but in fact my standmount speakers cost less than the Grados but sound better.

The question in the thread seems a bit confusing...generally open phones sound better than closed for home listening. And of course you can't listen to music loud past a certain time unless living in a detached house. So headphones are a useful accessory to hifi buffs.

Feb 17, 2005 at 11:53 AM Post #12 of 171
Don't have enough money for an excellant speaker rig

Feb 17, 2005 at 12:07 PM Post #13 of 171
I thought this was the comment that was to draw the flames. Just kidding.

" B&W signature speakers, rated the best speakers money can buy" Sounds like a Bose advertisement.

Not sure who rates these the best? Believe 88dbl, so not so good with low power SETs, so I would not rate them best money can buy. Good buy maybe? Might want to try some wide range single drivers too. Extreme statements hard to back up, especially where personal preferences matter and vary.

I am not a big fan of open headphones either. Coz yes they can annoy someone else mainly late at night, but most importantly that someone else could annoy me. Imagine a TV not far off or a phone conversation. Also, during the day between the dogs barking, construction, cars honking, yaki mo truck, etc ...outside noise is annoying.

Though when conditions are favorable, quiet no-one else around, then Open headphones do not disturb neighboors and can sound quite good.

Feb 17, 2005 at 12:08 PM Post #14 of 171
Open cans do leak sound. However they dont sound as loud as a speaker rig at the same loudness levels. Sometimes when i dont want to put on my HD590 i put them around my neck and i still listen to music like i had 2 small speakers under my throat!
biggrin.gif

Feb 17, 2005 at 12:19 PM Post #15 of 171
I think very strange that a guy ask about (why) our love and passion for headphone in a specific headphones forum ???

Best!
Nicola

Users who are viewing this thread

Back