Why do you guys spend so much on Open Headphones?
Feb 20, 2005 at 10:41 AM Post #136 of 171
Quote:

Originally Posted by seeberg
I've seen very reasonable prices on amp/phones combos on eBay, but am content with my Grados. I wonder if I should get a used pair in the future?

For the used price on ebay, they are a steal, especially considering that they came with good amplification. Some say there's no turning back once you hear that kind of transparency.

Feb 20, 2005 at 11:02 AM Post #137 of 171
I'll consider it, thanks for the suggestion! Are the models that commonly pop up there of any quality compared to their new products?

Will
lambda.gif
overtake
rs1smile.gif
? That's like asking who would win in a battle to the death: A flying shark or a flying crocodile!
Laughing way too hard for safety's sake,
Abe

Feb 20, 2005 at 11:22 AM Post #138 of 171
Quote:

I'll consider it, thanks for the suggestion! Are the models that commonly pop up there of any quality compared to their new products?

I would stick with more recent models, taking lambda nova basic or used sr-2020 system as a good choice - and avoid the older, especially electret models as they lose charge over time, permanently.

Now hand me your wallet !
lambda.gif

edit - New one still cost 550.

Feb 20, 2005 at 11:40 AM Post #139 of 171
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nak Man
Now hand me your wallet !
lambda.gif

That line is classic... No way, you might get it sweaty or something!(not considering the possibility of theft)
tongue.gif

That $550 price is still a bargain, considering they're electrostats and in great shape. The SRS-2020 looks like a set of ugly cans only a mother could love,IMO
tongue.gif
tongue.gif
, but I don't care. Too bad my wallet can't take a $550 hole being burned through it at the moment.
mad.gif
Abe

Feb 20, 2005 at 12:23 PM Post #140 of 171
No of course I don't have 7 signature 800s lol. That would need like a 50m by 50m room as someone mentioned. I said I had 7 signature speakers, which is true. Signature doesnt just mean the 800 or whatever you're thinking.

I do have this:

2x

main.jpg

1x

main.jpg

4x

main.jpg

So all in all, that is 7 signature speakers. Nautilus? God no that requires something like 8 mono or 4 stereo amplifiers to run them. I guess we could've but the setup we have atm is pretty damn fine, and that Nautilus is so ugly
rolleyes.gif

Pics yeah if you want.

Feb 20, 2005 at 12:31 PM Post #142 of 171
Quote:

That $550 price is still a bargain, considering they're electrostats and in great shape.

Those are brand new price. The used ones go below $400, the ended auction above was even for $350, used only twice ! (if you believe him of course)

If you think they're ugly, wait until you see the plastic headband quality. :bleh:

Feb 20, 2005 at 12:35 PM Post #143 of 171
Quote:

Originally Posted by XtremeD
Pics yeah if you want.

Hey, you're back. Burnt out yet ?
biggrin.gif

Just look at Necros' reply above, would be a good answer to those who question your sanity over phones costing 1.5% to B&W setup.

Feb 20, 2005 at 2:10 PM Post #145 of 171
Quote:

Those are brand new price. The used ones go below $400, the ended auction above was even for $350, used only twice ! (if you believe him of course)

If you think they're ugly, wait until you see the plastic headband quality. :bleh:

tongue.gif
Everybody "thinks" that but when your 14 year old Stax are still in one piece - absolutely perfect - and another design has all the stretchable and fabric parts all worn out you'll think very differently.

Feb 20, 2005 at 6:20 PM Post #147 of 171
Quote:

Originally Posted by Snake
tongue.gif
Everybody "thinks" that but when your 14 year old Stax are still in one piece - absolutely perfect - and another design has all the stretchable and fabric parts all worn out you'll think very differently.

Not quite, both drivers 'fell down' since the glue holding membrane unit to baffle has melted, all foam filling inside has rotten out, and that I broke one of the pin that serves as a pivot to the cups ... very fragile plastic. All the while my much older senn 230 only need replacement pads to look good as new, and the headband / cups can withstand any drops or even thrown hard to the wall before breaking any plastic parts.

Feb 20, 2005 at 7:10 PM Post #148 of 171
Quote:

Not quite, both drivers 'fell down' since the glue holding membrane unit to baffle has melted, all foam filling inside has rotten out, and that I broke one of the pin that serves as a pivot to the cups ... very fragile plastic. All the while my much older senn 230 only need replacement pads to look good as new, and the headband / cups can withstand any drops or even thrown hard to the wall before breaking any plastic parts.

Heh, just what are you doing to these poor things??
eek.gif
tongue.gif

There are those of us with almost 2 decade old Lambdas still going strong (structure-wise) and look what you've gone and done.
lambda.gif

You doin' a bull in the china shop on us??
confused.gif
tongue.gif

Feb 21, 2005 at 1:39 AM Post #149 of 171
Quote:

Originally Posted by Snake
Heh, just what are you doing to these poor things??
eek.gif
tongue.gif

Yeah .. I know, made me sound like Senn's QC person.
tongue.gif

In a clean cold workshop - with this sign hanging over at the wall:

Quote:

[size=xx-small]ACHTUNG - ALLES KOPFPHONERLISTENERS

Alles kopfphonerlisteners non-technischens! Das tubenmachine is nicht for gefengerpoken und mittengrabben. Oderwise is easy schnappen der springenverk, blowenfus, und poppencap, mit spitzensparken, und smokentubes. Geverken inside der tubenmachine is fur der experten only. Is nicht fur geverken inside by das dumpkopfen. Das rubbernecken amateuren keepen das cotton-picken hands in das pockets. Just relaxen, enjoyen der musik, und vatchen das pretty glowentubes.[/size]

... simply my favorite headfi quote.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back