Why do we see so many Singlepower Amps for sale on HeadFi?
May 17, 2008 at 1:43 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 93

complin

1000+ Head-Fier
I dont know if I've imagined this but there always seems to be quite a few Single Power headphone amps for sale on this forum.

Is it that they are the most popular with members on this forum?

Do the purchasers like them so much they often upgrade to higher spec models?

Could it be that they try tubes but then find they prefer transistor more?

Anyone like to share their thoughts why this is, or perhaps i have the wrong impression?

May 17, 2008 at 1:52 PM Post #2 of 93
Sometimes... its hard to avoid "impulse" purchases, and to become over-committed financially in this hobby.

And... a person's "priorities" change over time... especially when they realize they have so much invested in "toys," which they may find better, but perhaps, not so "supremely" superior to lesser expensive "toys."

And... sometimes... a person... just wants to try something different... while... avoiding "collecting" an assortment of "toys."

There are lots of reasons... and it seems that... it sometimes "pours when it rains."

May 17, 2008 at 2:10 PM Post #3 of 93
They're popular being sold because they're popular among the members. They're also generally a step on a path to insanity, so be careful, when you buy one
smily_headphones1.gif

May 17, 2008 at 2:12 PM Post #4 of 93
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gradofan2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sometimes... its hard to avoid "impulse" purchases, and to become over-committed financially in this hobby.

And... a person's "priorities" change over time... especially when they realize they have so much invested in "toys," which they may find better, but perhaps, not so "supremely" superior to lesser expensive "toys."

And... sometimes... a person... just wants to try something different... while... avoiding "collecting" an assortment of "toys."

There are lots of reasons... and it seems that... it sometimes "pours when it rains."

Not to mention that there are a huge number of SP amps out there.

I am the opposite of most people. I can afford to keep my current amps if I decide to upgrade or try something different. So, I have eight SP amps and another one on the way.

May 17, 2008 at 2:27 PM Post #5 of 93
Singlepower amplifiers are and have been very popular. Meaning that there are lots of these amplifiers among Head-Fi'ers, which eventually lead to several of them changing hands over time.

Same with products from other popular vendors as well.

May 17, 2008 at 2:47 PM Post #6 of 93
A few other reasons I can think of:

- with CanJam over, many are now thinking about upgrading to a higher level in the SP range (e.g., upgraded or new models seen at CanJam)
- the drifting of many folk toward electrostat; once again, very possibly spurred on by positive 'stat impressions at CanJam
- snowball effect. This often occurs and develops trends in the Head Fi market. When one starts, others follow, in particular if they can fetch top dollar for what they deem a luxury item. This has happened before with the likes of the K1000, K340, certain Meier amps, amongst others.
- we need to, as much as it may hurt, consider possible negative reasons (i.e., push factors) such as slow response/repair/upgrade times from SP, as well as the tightening of the wallet required by many household with the credit crunch and relatively weak financial market conditions.

May 17, 2008 at 3:54 PM Post #7 of 93
Quote:

Originally Posted by complin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I dont know if I've imagined this but there always seems to be quite a few Single Power headphone amps for sale on this forum.

i think its a mix of things.
Quote:

Is it that they are the most popular with members on this forum?

Do the purchasers like them so much they often upgrade to higher spec models?

definitely to both
Quote:

Could it be that they try tubes but then find they prefer transistor more?

Its possible, but not likely. most people who go out and buy a tube amp want one specifically. we (tubes) are STILL in the vast minority of amps here, but we go quality over quantity.

Something else that is a factor is that they are often unique, and expensive. In any market selling a unique item can be difficult.

The only real downside to a singlepower amp is that it does take a while to get one from the builder. To this end, the abundance of second-hand amps is a great benefit to the savvy head-fier. Unless you want something truly unique you watch the FS forums for a month or 2, and something REALLY close (if not exactly..) to what you want will turn up for sale. Money leaves your hands, and a week later you have your amp.

May 17, 2008 at 4:33 PM Post #9 of 93
Quote:

Originally Posted by d-cee /img/forum/go_quote.gif
what I don't get is, if Mikhail has such long wait times... how are there so many?

hes been doing it for a while
wink.gif

Just because it takes 6 months to GET the amp dosnt mean it takes 6 months to make it. There is something of a waiting list as I understand things.

May 17, 2008 at 7:58 PM Post #10 of 93
I guess we could just do a little pole and ask each seller why they are selling and then post the results....

smily_headphones1.gif

Cheers,

May 17, 2008 at 8:48 PM Post #11 of 93
Quote:

Originally Posted by sacd lover /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Not to mention that there are a huge number of SP amps out there.

Yes but there must be at least an equal number if not more less expensive and popular tube amps such Woo Audio, Antique Sound Lab, Dark Voice?

I am the opposite of most people. I can afford to keep my current amps if I decide to upgrade or try something different. So said:
I must admit I cant comprehend why anyone would need 9 headphone amplifiers, even if they dont mind tying up the cash! Perhaps you can share your rational for keeping so many.

May 17, 2008 at 9:07 PM Post #12 of 93
Quote:

Originally Posted by xenithon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
A few other reasons I can think of:

- with CanJam over, many are now thinking about upgrading to a higher level in the SP range (e.g., upgraded or new models seen at CanJam)
- the drifting of many folk toward electrostat; once again, very possibly spurred on by positive 'stat impressions at CanJam
- snowball effect. This often occurs and develops trends in the Head Fi market. When one starts, others follow, in particular if they can fetch top dollar for what they deem a luxury item. This has happened before with the likes of the K1000, K340, certain Meier amps, amongst others.
- we need to, as much as it may hurt, consider possible negative reasons (i.e., push factors) such as slow response/repair/upgrade times from SP, as well as the tightening of the wallet required by many household with the credit crunch and relatively weak financial market conditions.

Yes I had not thought of some of these

So you think there may be a drift towards more electrostatics. If you look at the size of the Stax thread there may be some truth in this. Howerver there are those like Headroom that say modern dynamic phones are almost the equal of Electrostatics, and there may be some truth in this.

Yes i have seen the fads come and go not only on Headfi as you say but on the general Audio Forums. Its a bit like the southsea bubble, if several people say something is great others want a part of the action.

I suppose there is a certain excusivity also to these types of amplifier, but if you say there are so many out there perhaps this is not the case?

There are others out there that build equally good products with the same commercial model though that dont seem to stimulate their buyers into a constant upgraditis. For example Headamp, Eddie Current (Zana Deux), Rockhopper Beta 22, EAR to name a few. Perhaps as you say it may just be the stimulus of CanJam, or do Single Power have something thats addictive that i've not cottoned on to? As i've never owned or listened to one it just makes me curious.

May 17, 2008 at 9:16 PM Post #13 of 93
There are comparatively few Eddie Current Zana Deux's (and a few more from the Moth days) in comparison to the Edie Current amps out there. That said, I have seen basically every amp and brand being sold, so I'm sure there are varying reasons as to why people are selling amps and other items, which isn't just limited to Singlepower.

May 17, 2008 at 9:28 PM Post #14 of 93
Quote:

Originally Posted by nikongod /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i think its a mix of things.

Its possible, but not likely. most people who go out and buy a tube amp want one specifically. we (tubes) are STILL in the vast minority of amps here, but we go quality over quantity.

Something else that is a factor is that they are often unique, and expensive. In any market selling a unique item can be difficult.

The only real downside to a singlepower amp is that it does take a while to get one from the builder. To this end, the abundance of second-hand amps is a great benefit to the savvy head-fier. Unless you want something truly unique you watch the FS forums for a month or 2, and something REALLY close (if not exactly..) to what you want will turn up for sale. Money leaves your hands, and a week later you have your amp.

IMHO I would disagree that tube amps are naturally superior in quality to transistor. There are some really poor quality tube amps out there in both construction and sound quality. In fact if you compare the sound form some of the lgendary designers of amplifiers Nelson Pass (Transistor) Tim de Paravicini (Tubes) they are surprisingly similar. It really depends what type of load you are driving and the balance of the speakers/headphones. In fact the whole chain from source through to headphones can influence the sound in quite drastic ways.

IMHO i cant see how you would class SP products unique, many of the tube amplifiers in production today are based on variations of very old designs dating back 50 years or more. Perhaps i'm not aware of the unique features and you could elaborate on this. There are however one or two designers who yes have truly innovated in amp design (Nelson Pass,Tim de Paravicini), but few have worked in the headphone space. Perhaps Gilmore, Meire and Millet have innovated most in this area?

May 17, 2008 at 9:30 PM Post #15 of 93
My general impression is that there seem to be more SinglePower amps being sold than some of our other manufacturers. I don't think that's a bad thing BTW, as it seems to me that I've seen a fair number of SinglePower owners upgrading to more decked out SinglePower products. That probably contributes to it. They have a lot of different variations within models, which lends itself to a lot of switching out.

Again, I don't see where it's a bad thing. I've heard the amps (had an older model in my house on more than one occasion) and they are nice amps. I can understand why so many folks are such dedicated fans.
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back