Why do we see so many Singlepower Amps for sale on HeadFi?
May 17, 2008 at 11:51 PM Post #31 of 93
Quote:

Originally Posted by sacd lover /img/forum/go_quote.gif
An experiment .... the Darling 1626 SET...... I am driving Senn 600's with a cable terminated with spades off the speaker outputs.

Interesting
I've been thinking of driving some of my headphones direct off the speaker terminals but surely cant this easily damage the phones?
Also dont you need to insert resistors to protect the phones and perhaps modify the the output impeadance. Wont all this degrade the quallity of the sound?
Ther used to be transformers (in small switched boxes) that some manufacturers produced that connected to the speaker terminals with a volume pot and plug. I think Sony did one for the R10 and RKV still do but this is for using the amp with speakers.

May 17, 2008 at 11:55 PM Post #33 of 93
Quote:

An experiment .... the Darling 1626 SET.

sweet! it kind of looks like an indirectly heated 45. is the amp OTl or Transformer coupled?

May 18, 2008 at 12:00 AM Post #34 of 93
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sovkiller /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I said IMO, the only acceptable way, not that is written in stone, as I preffer OTL over the transformer coupled amps...To me is funny how you are able to hear the difference between two different digital cables, and are not able to hear the anomalies introduced by a transformer in the signal path...
rolleyes.gif
rolleyes.gif
rolleyes.gif

BTW are you in that list to go for the ZANA, that will be the most funniest thing ever!!!! So what makes you think that was you the one I'm talking about, first while you are not in that list, and second while I called them "knowledgeable members". Not sure but to call yourself a knowledgeable member, is bordering on the egocentric side, don't you think?.....
tongue.gif

It is funny to me you cant seem to hear the difference between anything and you are in this hobby? Obviously I do hear the differences as I stated there are differences between the two topologies. By the way, just what transformer coupled tube headamp vs OTL's have you actually compared .... and I dont mean listening at a meet for five minutes. I mean a real audition extending several weeks if not months.

You seem to think you are knowledgeable and you are telling people with low impedence headphones not to consider transformer coupled amps? Give me a break O King of Misinformation.
rolleyes.gif

I am NOT on the list Zana Deux.

Why did I think that was me .... well because it was me. Look up the thread.

After nearly 40 years in audio I do consider myself knowledgeable. If the constant PM's and emails are any indication so do many other people.
tongue.gif

May 18, 2008 at 12:02 AM Post #35 of 93
Quote:

Originally Posted by nikongod /img/forum/go_quote.gif
sweet! it kind of looks like an indirectly heated 45. is the amp OTl or Transformer coupled?

Transformer coupled. The 1626 is a sweet tube perfect for headphones IMO. You get about 0.75 watt.

May 18, 2008 at 12:14 AM Post #36 of 93
Quote:

Originally Posted by complin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Interesting
I've been thinking of driving some of my headphones direct off the speaker terminals but surely cant this easily damage the phones?
Also dont you need to insert resistors to protect the phones and perhaps modify the the output impeadance. Wont all this degrade the quallity of the sound?
Ther used to be transformers (in small switched boxes) that some manufacturers produced that connected to the speaker terminals with a volume pot and plug. I think Sony did one for the R10 and RKV still do but this is for using the amp with speakers.

The amp only puts out a maximum of 0.75 watt. Adding resistors to make sure the amp will see a load is adviseable. If the output taps are the correct impedance for the headphone you wont need any resistors to tailor the output impedance. I want this one to drive either 32 ohm Grados or 300 ohm Senns.

Do they effect sound quality? Hard to say .... the bottom line is how the whole comes together. I thought the amp sounded great using 300 ohm Senns of the 8 ohm tap. I just need to deal with the hum. Unfortunately, the amp uses AC heaters and I think that is probably some of the problem.

Sometimes a really good sounding tube seems to overcome certain theoretical limitations. I think this tube may be one of those. Plus, in this amp the gain tube is the excellent nos 12sl7gt
wink.gif

May 18, 2008 at 12:16 AM Post #37 of 93
Quote:

Originally Posted by bhd812 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
He is buying my B52 after i had his favorite opamp modded into the signal path!
eek.gif
tongue.gif

earl are those outlets run on a dedicated breaker? those look hot!

LOL .... no op amps please.
eek.gif

Dedicated outlets .... yes indeed.
biggrin.gif

May 18, 2008 at 12:51 AM Post #38 of 93
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sovkiller /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Not sure but to call yourself a knowledgeable member, is bordering on the egocentric side, don't you think?.....
tongue.gif

You tell us.

May 18, 2008 at 1:03 AM Post #39 of 93
OK...everyone play nice.

May 18, 2008 at 1:05 AM Post #40 of 93
Quote:

Originally Posted by Duggeh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You tell us.

duggeh for president of the USA!

i like SACD's comment on that amp working as a system. its not just the same output stage as every other amp with a different input stage. the beast works together...

May 18, 2008 at 1:08 AM Post #41 of 93
I think this is typical of a Head-fi-centric seller. Note amps such as Grado's RA-1 or the EAR HP4 or the Melos line or the RKV, Microzotl etc; what tends to happen is that when manufacturers are quick to continually "upgrade" their line, folks will dump the current offerings in hopes that the new stuff will outperform the old. Yet, companies who have been in business for ages tend to release one or two SOLID performers that retain their value and seem to be kept for longer periods by owners since there is no upgrade possibilities.

this is the same with Ray's amps, or Xin's amp and to an extent Justin's amps, but overall you will notice, those manufacturers who don't castrate their older models tend to retain high resale value on their models as opposed to those that have a 6-12 month release cycle. It seems to me, along with I assume many others, the new stuff MUST be better right? So dump the current line and upgrade quick before the current line is worthless!

This isn't just a trend it is a fact and is prevalent on head-fi. Only the latest and greatest can possibly be good so the old stuff gets dumped for a great price. Those that buy at that time make out very well.

May 18, 2008 at 1:21 AM Post #43 of 93
Quote:

Originally Posted by Duggeh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well said Zanth. Maybe you should add the Sugden Headmaster to that list too.

Good call. Had my brother not so desperately wanted it, I'd still own mine.

May 18, 2008 at 1:29 AM Post #44 of 93
RE zanth:
I do agree that there is something of a "fotm" sellout period for amps, but nowhere near as bad as for certain hedphones. I have no idea why this is, but something i have noticed.

no douobt you remember all the stirings for the pimeta when JMT and Mr-X were building them actively. when they stopped building the owners did not sell. some headphone crazes get started on the work of a single headfier and sold the day he shuts his trap.

May 18, 2008 at 1:48 AM Post #45 of 93
Quote:

Not to mention that there are a huge number of SP amps out there.

I am the opposite of most people. I can afford to keep my current amps if I decide to upgrade or try something different. So, I have eight SP amps and another one on the way.

Wow, you go sacd lover. I love my SP amp a bunch. When I use the Dragon at home with the R10s, K1000, HD650s with Zu and many others it is just pure magic. I'm so happy with it. Also, my PPX3 Slam is fantastic at work. I have brought that last year and still keep it as many amps just come and go
wink.gif

Thanks to Mikhail to making phenomenal amps
smily_headphones1.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zanth /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think this is typical of a Head-fi-centric seller. Note amps such as Grado's RA-1 or the EAR HP4 or the Melos line or the RKV, Microzotl etc; what tends to happen is that when manufacturers are quick to continually "upgrade" their line, folks will dump the current offerings in hopes that the new stuff will outperform the old. Yet, companies who have been in business for ages tend to release one or two SOLID performers that retain their value and seem to be kept for longer periods by owners since there is no upgrade possibilities.

this is the same with Ray's amps, or Xin's amp and to an extent Justin's amps, but overall you will notice, those manufacturers who don't castrate their older models tend to retain high resale value on their models as opposed to those that have a 6-12 month release cycle. It seems to me, along with I assume many others, the new stuff MUST be better right? So dump the current line and upgrade quick before the current line is worthless!

This isn't just a trend it is a fact and is prevalent on head-fi. Only the latest and greatest can possibly be good so the old stuff gets dumped for a great price. Those that buy at that time make out very well.

Very well said Zanth. I've benefited from purchases from either cans, amps, or sources since others are trying to sell their old equipment and purchase the newer offerings.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back