Why do USB cables make such a difference?
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 2, 2017 at 5:35 PM Post #91 of 1,606
It is just not possible to change the sound of a digital file inside an usb cable.

OK, lets take this as correct. Then what is changing the sound that I hear in my system when the only change made is the USB cable and I have had well over a dozen different ones in the current system, most of them loaners, including a couple of beta cables that I have been asked to test from Tellurium given to me from one of my audio dealers? Is it the amount/type of parasitical noise coming over the cable along with the digital file? My music server has a choice of USB outputs and the one I use does not have the 5vdc output live, so its not traveling on that line.

Sep 2, 2017 at 6:39 PM Post #92 of 1,606
OK, lets take this as correct. Then what is changing the sound that I hear in my system when the only change made is the USB cable and I have had well over a dozen different ones in the current system, most of them loaners, including a couple of beta cables that I have been asked to test from Tellurium given to me from one of my audio dealers? Is it the amount/type of parasitical noise coming over the cable along with the digital file? My music server has a choice of USB outputs and the one I use does not have the 5vdc output live, so its not traveling on that line.
Why do you keep trying to make a usb cable like an analogue cable? There is no parasitic noise coming over a usb cable. There is no noise coming over a usb cable. The only thing that could be considered noise is when the power from the source is carried improperly from point a and used improperly on point be as it is not isolated bu a seperate power brick and creates power hum or distortion. This is not fixed with the usb cable and not the usb cables fault. You can fixing your source or by isolating your power on your dac. The only other option is that the usb cable is causing a short. or option 3 the data is not reaching in complete forms and you hear clipping and skipping. You hear a difference with usb cables because you are convinced you can.

You are so convinced and nothing we say will change your mind. I don't even think you would submit to a controlled scientific blind study if you were where one could be held by knowledgeable unbiased persons. So many people with far more knowledge and experience than you including people in the music industry has spoken up in this thread and you refuse to accept it or even consider it. You just went on how you are a professor even though it has nothing to do with this subject. Well guess what. I am also a professor, but has nothing to do with this subject so who the hell cares.

Sep 2, 2017 at 8:37 PM Post #94 of 1,606
Except I was a believer in expensive cables till I was shown and proven with research. Problem is yuou are so far off and applying analogue audio properties where it is an impossibility as none of the equipment works the same during the digital path until it is converted to analogue.

I am done. Other people can chime in, but it is pointless as you can not comprehend the difference.

Last edited:
Sep 2, 2017 at 9:54 PM Post #95 of 1,606

Placebo effect and expectation bias
They've been mentioned before, but you don't seem to want to give credence to them regardless of how well established they are as reasons people "hear" things when they change gear.

Sep 3, 2017 at 12:25 AM Post #96 of 1,606
Placebo effect and expectation bias
They've been mentioned before, but you don't seem to want to give credence to them regardless of how well established they are as reasons people "hear" things when they change gear.

OK, lets take the two beta USB cables I was asked to test from a highly respected UK cable company. One made my system sound significantly worse that it was with my then current USB cable and the other one a bit better. I was not buying these cables, they were not even available for sale. They both looked identical in appearance. How does placebo effect or expectation bias account for this clear hierarchy in musical quality changes between the two betas and my then owned USB cable when they were each in my system?

The UK magazine Hi-Fi News had articles in 2013 and 2014 publications (I think July) where they had USB cables double-blinded tested by a panels of skilled listeners and reported difference in a range of USB cables that they were able to give rank scores to and they also showed variations in the signals passed by each of them in what appeared to be oscilloscope pictures of square waves generated off each of them. Where is the placebo effect and expectation bias here?

Sep 3, 2017 at 12:36 AM Post #97 of 1,606
UK magazine aimed at audiophiles is far from un biased. They are always trying to sell high end cables. Seriously you have to do better than that. There are just as bad magazines and periodicles in the US and websites. How about all the other hundreds of other tests that were performed out there that shows the opposite, or as stated the professionals in the industry that have stated otherwise. Why does the it industry not have to have expensive cables and gets flawless data transfers, or better yet the US government that I have first hand experience with. When we spend millions on equipment, why don't we need a 1k usb cable to transfer data?

Sep 3, 2017 at 4:13 AM Post #98 of 1,606
[1] But you have not answered WHY some USB cables improve the perceived musicality of a system over others USB cables, at least for many listeners.
[2] Its a question not dissimilar to comparing why a good analogue turntable based system sounds more musical for many listeners to that of an equal or even more expensive pure digital system, even if there are some digital signal stages in the production of the LP being listened to?

1. You're a prof on the philosophy of science right? So, why not take the facts, apply some logic to the problem and figure it out by a process of elimination? The facts are that digital audio is a binary system, one or zero (on/off), there can be no other state, there can be no noisy "1" or clean "1". The only way noise can affect digital audio is if it's so extreme that it changes a one to a zero (or vice versa) but of course that's relatively easy to detect because we would not then have a bit perfect result and all USB certified cables must be able to transfer bit perfect results or they would not be USB cables (or are faulty/broken). Therefore, all you have to do is use the standard USB cable to copy some files and verify the copies and originals are identical, this eliminates both the possibility of a broken USB cable and of extreme noise/interference. Any "parasitic noise" other than noise extreme enough to actually change the values of the zeros and one is already eliminated as a potential cause because it cannot exist in/affect a digital system. You are adamant that nothing else in your system has changed except the USB cable, so that eliminates all the other potential variables except one, your perception. However much you believe that placebo or any other biases cannot be responsible, Conan Doyle's axiom holds true, "Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth"!

We can also look at the issue the other way around, what properties would a USB cable need in order to improve some property of the sound? Firstly of course it has to actually be able to change the values of the zeros and ones. Just changing the values randomly would result in digital glitches and of course produce a different result every time you played/copied the file, not anything any sane person could describe as an improvement! To avoid just glitches/errors requires specific zeros and ones to be changed in a specific way, this can only be achieved with fairly complex algorithms and computation power. A USB cable is effectively just extruded metal wrapped in some insulation, it does not have any intelligence or embedded digital audio algorithms and the computational power to execute them. Unless one ascribes some totally irrational property to a digital cable, such as magic, there is no real world property a USB cable could have which could achieve the results you are perceiving, which inescapably brings us back again to your perception ... all roads lead to Rome!

2. No, it is entirely dissimilar! Analogue storage and reproduction definitely does change the signal, so significantly that the difference is audible. It is then down to personal preference if one prefers that lower fidelity analogue result. A properly functioning USB cable does not change the data, the data which comes out is identical to the data which goes in. Therefore, with say an LP, you have a personal preference of your perception of actual physically different signals/data but with a USB cable all you have is personal preference of your perception, as there is no difference in the data.

G

Sep 3, 2017 at 4:26 AM Post #99 of 1,606
The UK magazine Hi-Fi News had articles in 2013 and 2014 publications (I think July) where they had USB cables double-blinded tested by a panels of skilled listeners and reported difference in a range of USB cables ...

I would very much like to see that article, the actual methodology of the tests, the data from those tests and how the conclusions were arrived at. Do you have a link?

G

Sep 3, 2017 at 7:13 AM Post #100 of 1,606
how about we try to take stands that aren't always mutually exclusive and categorical? or even better, stop turning anecdotes into laws? I know I'm asking a lot and it will involve rational thinking which is an often strange concept in amateur audio.

looking at digital signal through cables as if it's analog isn't necessarily stupid. for one, when the high frequency roll off occurs will be a relevant factor for maximum speed. of course at the same time thinking that making some idealistic square wave signal go rounder in any way will also change the sound is false. like for everything there is a threshold beyond which we take fetal position and wait for things to explode(too dramatic?).but the USB standards(or any electrical standard) was picked because it works fairly well even within pretty big fluctuations and is easy to achieve even with cheap components.
we can also rebound on this, as there are now many USB standards. a proper USB1 cable isn't the same as a proper USB3 or USBc cable. some usb cables are specifically made for charging devices and nobody cared much about the wires not carrying the 5V DC. as long as the hand shake is done, that's enough for such cables. so not needing a special USB cable might not mean the same as saying we can literally take any USB cable lying around and expect the same specs and behavior.

obviously there is the way we treat the usb cable. those moving around to charge our phones can be painful to look at and some people really like to bend solid materials at unreasonable angles for some reason. so let's assume were not talking about those cables suffering from literal PTSD . ^_^

a cable doesn't really do much on it's own, we have to stop silly compartmentalized thinking "look mum, that cable has great soundstage!". instead look at the electrical circuit. but to think that way people need to know a thing or two about electrical components and electricity or it might be an abstract concept. not much can be done about that, we don't know what we don't know. if the cable has electrical properties significantly off from the expected standard, you never know if the devices on each ends have been designed to handle such an abnormal situation. in some extreme cases, it could lead to instability or at least changes in the global electrical behavior. I for one have a fairly clear stand for such a situation. I'll check the cable and do some basic measurements to see if it's broken or within USB specs. if it isn't, bu-bye!!! if it is close enough, I'll blame the gears plugged in it. not try to excuse it with fancy special cables just in case that helps hide a flaw in the gear. same for jitter, noise etc. a DAC is expected to be linked to all sorts of devices in this modern world. the guy who made the design without coming out of his lab with super clean power, perfect voltage to the second decimal, ideal cable and everything into 3 layers of Faraday cages, is an idiot who doesn't deserve our money. that's my view on this. do you guys call a good DAC, one that works great under ideal conditions, or one that can handle most typical issues like a boss? I vote for the later, same as how I pick my camera, computer... I live in real life with real issues and to withstand those issues is why I pay good money. it's obviously not the only way to think, but the more we'll look at pro gear, the more it will be aimed at people who think like me. consistency, stability, they are as, or more important than getting the best result when Jupiter is aligned with Venus and the outside temperature is 17.3°C. if a DAC is garbage under all but the most specific conditions, then it's a garbage DAC. that's my simple view on this.
having clearly different sounds from different USB cables will make me consider the possibility that I should get another DAC. when for some of you guys it's the enlightened day that "proved" you weren't an idiot to purchase a 1000$ wire for no clear reason. a different mindset clearly plays a part in the resulting conclusions.

with the same idea, most DACs nowadays have their own fancy special stuff, a specific oversampling value, some proprietary async, reclock, anti jitter, blablah thing. a lot of digital processing for fancy reasons that usually happen to work well. so when a signal is clean, they all do the very best of what they're here to do and we get the ideal results suggested on the specs.
when it's not clean, they'll maybe have fancy tricks to reduce some issues that other DAC might not have, so right there we might end up with more variations between DACs with a crappy signal than with a clean one. I'm not justifying any idea that cables sound different, this is just food for thought about how variations in the signal could in some cases have consequences that go beyond what a simple wire can do to the signal by itself. and also that maybe if you had a different DAC, your amazeballz cable wouldn't sound so different from that other one. just exploring possibilities. same result different conclusions.

a personal observation about cables over the years, USB or not, the plugs often make more difference and create more troubles than most fancy crap in the cable. I haven't sampled millions of cables so I won't claim it's always like that, but within what I've tested with my cheap gears, it was so. if I was a real maniac nut-job dead on getting the best audio I can't hear, I'd use rather short cables, cut all the plugs and go solder everything. but I still wouldn't pay 500$ for a USB cable. I hope I can be seen as fairly open minded on this matter, but IMO a USB cable above 100$ is one of those choices:
- a fashion statement. which is very fine and not dumber than a 5000$ hand bag or a 2 million car. some rich people need stuff to show they're rich to other people. if I was rich I'd get some of those.
- a trap for fools.
- a specific cable for one of those stuff you need once in a lifetime, like for something on a spaceship that can handle cosmic rays, or a usb cable to be plugged near the cyclotron while it's ON. you know weird cable for weird needs.

I can't think of anything requiring more than a few bucks of material and manufacturing. the idea that a lot will be hand made can justify higher price but is IMO a weakness for the cable as it implies much lower consistency than an automated process. so unless I get a unique set of extensive measurements coming with my cable and showing how much better it is, why would I pay extra anything? it's not being blind to the possible improvements of cables. it's trying not to be blind to the realities of commerce. if a guy can trick me into believing some not special cable is special, he'll do just that and increase his price and margin. ask for evidence, if the guy claims technical superiority, where is the objective evidence shown measuring the very cable he's trying to sell to me? the "just listen" mantra is nice to decide that I can't stand Despacito, it's not an argument for technical expertise. in fact I tend to be biased and take all the guys selling gears and saying "just listen" to be crooked. objective claims of fidelity require objective evidence, not subjective excuses.
and if they wish to make claims of subjectively nicer sound, I'm fine with that, after all if I like something I don't care about anything else. but then don't lie about increased fidelity without any evidence of it.

to end this rant on wider issue, we all need to stop taking whatever anecdotal event fell on our lap as if it redefines the laws of physics. it's a fracking wire! once I wore a green shirt and got bitten by a parrot. less than a year later I got bitten by a monkey on the same finger while wearing that same green shirt. I leave you to draw the right conclusions about green shirts, exotic animals, and your favorite usb cable anecdotes. we usually see and hear what we want to see and hear.

Sep 3, 2017 at 3:13 PM Post #101 of 1,606
I would very much like to see that article, the actual methodology of the tests, the data from those tests and how the conclusions were arrived at. Do you have a link?

I read the magazine articles in hardcopy. But a Google search of 'Hi-Fi News USB cable blind" gives quite a few links to discussions about the articles and a Nordost link to a reprint of one of them (you asked me for a link so please don't spam me for using a manufacturer's website to supply it !) at:
http://www.nordost.com/images/review-images/review-pdf/HFN_USB Cable GT July.pdf

Sep 3, 2017 at 3:32 PM Post #102 of 1,606
"Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth"!

Or there is something else present that we are unaware of because it does not fit our current paradigm !

Sep 3, 2017 at 9:23 PM Post #103 of 1,606
Firstly I wanted to use a less expensive USB cable and was bias as I do not want to watse money and I used the standard cable suppied with a the Chord Dave and using a laptop ( on battery ) windows 10 for music JRiver. USB leads did make the difference.

Long story short same laptop windows 7 SQ not quite as good and USB leads did not make a noticeable difference ( very little but could not certain between cables with any reliableablity including ultra expensive ).

I can only trust all the people who do not notice a difference are correct with their equipment and believe them, if I were to listen to their equipment I would come to the same conclusion.

I use a power conditioner with different USB cables and the difference between USB cables was closer while using the power conditioner.

Using a melco na1Z improved the SQ further.

I have no tech knowledge and agree that zeros and ones cannot be changed but coild it be noise or rf or something gets passed between sources...?

Could it be different cables are able to cope with this interferance and not pass onto the DAC which in turn passes on to the amps etc....?

There are a number people who agree upstream equipmet of the Dave make a difference again zeros and ones...?

Different DAC may well be different hence apples and pears.

I also disconnected my melco from the network, background noise reduced ( off topic ).

In essence I wanted a USB cable supplied with the Dave to work and did not want to spend extra money on melco or a fancy USB cable to impress friends ( none of which know the cost of my system but like the sound ) etc.

Hope that helps people reading this thread please do not shoot me down, I am not interested in the placebo effect unless you can hypnotize me...!

Last edited:
Sep 3, 2017 at 11:51 PM Post #104 of 1,606
There is no parasitic noise coming over a usb cable. There is no noise coming over a usb cable.

Yes, noise aside from the signal can go across a digital cable. Recent USB receiver circuit designs eliminate this. The other factor is that the USB receiver chips can themselves output unwanted noise. This has to be filtered out from the digital signal inside the DAC as well (or externally if using a converter of some sort) if it is to not potentially interfere with the final analog output.

Unfortunately there doesn't seem, at least yet, to be any directly measured artifact that can be attributed to these things, probably due to the large number of variables involved. That it why it comes down to what people hear. The closest thing we have to any kind of correlation is that designs better isolated from noise seem, in general, to be reported as sounding better.

I have to say, also, that making rude declarations about people because one disagrees about a person's experience is not science, but a form of fanaticism on the same level as held by the person vigorously arguing the opposite opinion with which one disagrees.

Last edited:
Sep 4, 2017 at 5:01 AM Post #105 of 1,606
I read the magazine articles in hardcopy. But a Google search of 'Hi-Fi News USB cable blind" gives quite a few links to discussions about the articles and a Nordost link to a reprint of one of them (you asked me for a link so please don't spam me for using a manufacturer's website to supply it !) at: http://www.nordost.com/images/review-images/review-pdf/HFN_USB Cable GT July.pdf

Thanks for the link. It is rather bizarre in terms of your comments though. Firstly, nowhere does the article mention it was a double-blind test as you described it. There is a very significant difference between blind and double blind tests, so much so, that blind tests are not accepted in say medical research or pretty much any branch of science. How is it possible for you, a uni prof, not to know this? There was no explanation of the methodology of the tests, so no way to determine/evaluate if it was even a bona fide blind test, let alone how affected by biases the test was, even if it were a bona fide blind test! There was also no explanation of how the data was obtained, the data itself was not published, nor was how it was analysed and therefore we have no idea how or even if the published conclusions/reviews correlate with that data. All that's been provided is an edited collation of the testers' subjective opinions, which demonstrates nothing, not even that there were any audible differences between cables! For example, during each tester's testing was each test always a different cable or did some of the tests use the same cable as the previous test (unknown to the tester)? If it was the former, then that knowledge alone is enough to introduce so much bias as to invalidate the test, regardless of the tester being unaware of which different cable they were listening to. You stated of this article "Where is the placebo effect and expectation bias here?" Again, how as a uni prof of science philosophy is it possible for you to even ask this question, let alone use it to support your assertion? It indicates little/no understanding of what the scientific method is or why it exists!

I will commend the article for providing some actual measurements, a rarity in cable marketing. Although unfortunately, it's not explained that these measurements are effectively useless/irrelevant! A USB cable's job, by definition, is to transfer a USB specification signal. The rise times (properties of the eye pattern) are irrelevant, provided they are within the USB specification. It is incumbent on the USB receiving equipment (in this case a USB DAC) to accurately extract the data from a USB specified signal, regardless of it's rise time! If a USB DAC performs more accurately with a faster rise time than with a slower rise time, providing both rise times are within the USB specification, then the DAC is not compliant with USB specifications (is faulty)! The exception to these irrelevant measurements was the one for the Signal Projects Lynx Reference USB cable, which, if the measurement was accurate, demonstrates that is cable is NOT a USB cable! Astonishing, even sub $10 cables are capable of meeting USB specifications but apparently not this audiophile cable costing 100 times more?! The fact that it even works without serious errors is testament to the fact that DACs must be relatively insensitive to rise times, even if they fall outside the USB specification. Of course the review they publish ("free-form" section) is complete nonsense, digital audio cannot be louder or quieter without applying one or more algorithms to significantly change the bit values, as already explained.

Or there is something else present that we are unaware of because it does not fit our current paradigm!

Again, simple logic! If there were something present that we are unaware of, then we can't measure it and therefore can't record it, digitize it, undigitize it or reproduce it!

G

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back