Why do my computer speakers sound so crappy!!!???
Dec 9, 2001 at 8:26 AM Post #106 of 110
MACDef - well, those look quite nice, but the problem is the price. A $300 desk would be about my limit here, and I need massive amounts of expandability. The one that is cheapest that does something close to what I want is $500 and says it will support 150lbs. That sounds really flimsy, when I get a chance I will be going to 2 19"s instead of a 19 and a 15, and maybe 2 19s and a 15. Damn, I should post a picture to see what some reccomendations are, my setup is truly a mess at the moment, my left speaker can't even go back far enough to be properly in line (It is about 8" closer to me fore to aft then the right speaker but further left then the right speaker is right.

Another thing - the speakers I am using aren't exactly small. My current speakers are fairly small, the Celestion F1s, but they are going to end up as rears soon enough, and I will be placing something like a Paradigm Mini monitor/Axiom M3ti in their place.

Their monitor arm says it can only hold 30lbs? That isn't any good, mine weigh ~55-60lbs. Not to mention it is $300! Is there anything similar but cheaper that exists?

Can you post a pic of your setup? It might give me a couple ideas.

Dec 9, 2001 at 8:49 AM Post #107 of 110
I have a six foot desk (actually it's a table) with my back to the wall, and all open space in front.

Tim, I agree. When I want to listen to music, then everything has to be right so I can focus. On the other hand, after a hard day at work, where all I want to do is hit the web and turn the volume up on some Rush, just hearing the music is enough.

To each his own. If cost was no object I would have the most ridiculous toys that no one really needs.
wink.gif

Dec 9, 2001 at 4:09 PM Post #108 of 110
Quote:

Originally posted by Vertigo-1
Hey morphsci when you got some spare time, could you post some info links to those two items? I'm putting my Tituses against all these PC speakers recommended, but the combo of em + the Rotel 972 puts them at $700, so it's not really fair. But your combo at $280 really sounds like it could smoke anything being recommended above, simply because the components are coming from companies primarily concerned about musical quality, and not games or movies. I'm interested in seeing more about em.

I am going to do an update on my den system and my system at work since they have changed a bit from my last post. I will include my extended listening comments on my BPT unit and on the ASL/Wharfedale combo since both were relatively new when I originally posted my system description and pics. That post will be probably around the middle of the week.

Here are some links:

Wharfedale 7.2 Anniversary

ASL Amps

There are also some audioasylum threads on the ASL waves. They really are good little amps. They are actually the first tube amps I have ever owned so I do not have any other tube amps to compare them to with a comparable length of listening.

Dec 9, 2001 at 7:01 PM Post #109 of 110
Quote:

Originally posted by Xevion
MACDef - well, those look quite nice, but the problem is the price. A $300 desk would be about my limit here, and I need massive amounts of expandability

That's one thing about Anthro: pricey
wink.gif
They used to have an "economy" line, which is what I have. It's still very sturdy, but not as "industrial."

Quote:

The one that is cheapest that does something close to what I want is $500 and says it will support 150lbs

You know, that's odd... their literature used to say 450 lbs. Maybe some really big guy jumped up and down on one until it broke, and now they're underestimating capacity so they don't get sued
very_evil_smiley.gif

Quote:

Their monitor arm says it can only hold 30lbs? That isn't any good, mine weigh ~55-60lbs. Not to mention it is $300! Is there anything similar but cheaper that exists?

Only 30lbs? Isn't there a heavier-duty one there? 30lbs isn't much. I guess they figure that someone with a 19" monitor isn't going to be using an arm to move it around LOL

Quote:

Can you post a pic of your setup? It might give me a couple ideas.

I'll see if I can clean up a bit, and post something
wink.gif

Dec 9, 2001 at 7:12 PM Post #110 of 110
Here, I'll sum up why your computer speakers sound so bad...

[size=large]BECAUSE THEY ARE COMPUTER SPEAKERS!!!![/size]

wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back