Why do my computer speakers sound so crappy!!!???
Dec 9, 2001 at 2:37 AM Post #76 of 110
"I don't know about you but I am more interested in Monsoon's FPF line speakers... certainly look interesting. Never heard anyone talk about them yet. "

They won best of show at the Multimedia Showcase in January of this year.

Dec 9, 2001 at 2:45 AM Post #77 of 110
Yeah, it depends what you want and what you expect An audiophile purist won't be happy with the limitations of a CD-Rom/soundcard setup, no arguments there. Still, laugh if you want, but there IS a place for good quality multimedia systems.

Look at the typical computer station. My guess is that most layouts force the listener into a near field situation. For me this compromises imaging and soundstage. I am also not a fan of sub-woofers for the same reasons. There's not much reason to go the full audiophile route for that kind of listening environment (although it would be nice, but Lamgborginis are nice too). I think my Crossfires are a good compromise with good sound for close but not critical listening. Man, we're talking about background music.

Dec 9, 2001 at 2:54 AM Post #78 of 110
Yah, ok so why am I being given a lecture on price/performance. Is it because I dislike computer audio for the exact reasons of price/performance? Or because you are taking a quote which is in reference to the snobbery and elitism of my friends that are into "computer audio" but not conventional audio.

You seem to want to stick me in a group of audiophiles that would do nothing else but to suggest outrageously expensive audio solutions just to hear more "air" or to "hear things I've never heard before" blah blah. I'm not...I'm very strictly a price/performance based person and I'm just saying that computer audio to ME is a bit weak in price/performance(performance being audio performance with music), with the trade-off of having smaller audio setup that is shielded, and convenient, and fun for gaming. Headphones are not very convenient with computer listening for me whatsoever obviously. It just doesn't fit my listening needs on the computer to hear bells and whistles that I need to use Ety's or any other headphone. Likewise you can't stick a great performing pair of bookshelf speakers in a near-field listening situation.

Now let me ask when you calculate price/performance of audio from a computer system do you deduct media expenses?

Is there any way for me to hold the belief that computer audio is not the greatest in price/audio performance, media "borrowing" exempted, without coming across as snearing?

My standing is merely as follows...computer audio doesn't have the best price/performance. It gives away performance to either convenience, or music "borrowing". Only when you consider music "borrowing" as part of an equation in pricing...may you have an argument for price/performance of computer audio.

Dec 9, 2001 at 2:56 AM Post #79 of 110
Quote:

Originally posted by Roj
Argueing about the audiophile qualities of computer speakers is like argueing whether you should drive a geo or a daewoo in the next Nascar race. "

BZZZZTTTTTTTT - WRONG!!

Times have changed from the bargain basement Koss or Labtecs. Today's multimedia speakers have evolved considerably to the point that it makes some "audiophiles" uncomfortable. far too many of them attempt to denigate them to maintain their "superiority".

High-end audio they aren't (a la Audio Research or Martin Logan) but laughable they aren't, at least not to those who actually know about them...

You guys crack me up.

Dec 9, 2001 at 3:00 AM Post #80 of 110
I haven't stuck you anywhere. Did I refer to you directly anywhere is that post? And I don't lecture folks - I don't have the time or inclination.

"Is there any way for me to hold the belief that computer audio is not the greatest in price/audio performance, media "borrowing" exempted, without coming across as snearing?"

You tell me.

Like many folks I have two systems - one for general listening and the one on my computer. Unlike most it would seem, I like the two to be an approximation of each other for the genres they inhabit. I'm very big on price / performance.

If I site examples and come across as lecturing, that's unfortunate - I find detailed illustrations often get a point across far more easily than a purely philosophical discussion.

But enough of the rhetoric, at least for me...

Dec 9, 2001 at 3:08 AM Post #81 of 110
Quote:

Originally posted by Roj
...I'm very big on price / performance.

If I site examples and come across as lecturing, that's unfortunate - I find detailed illustrations often get a point across far more easily than a purely philosophical discussion.

O.K. my Wharefedale Anniversary models cost $81.00 shipped and my ASL Waves were under $200. I consider that a pretty good price/performance ratio even compared to computer speakers. There you go, a nonphilosophical example of price/performance. I am not an elitist either, I have just found that there are relatively few true bargains with most popular, mass-market items, including "computer" speakers.

Dec 9, 2001 at 3:10 AM Post #82 of 110
Uh, aren't there some people here who often connect $600 headphones to sound cards? And are perfectly happy?

Doesn't one of the people who has the R-10's use them with his PC?

Dec 9, 2001 at 3:14 AM Post #83 of 110
You mean Vert? Not anymore, and he didn't think nearly as highly of them back then.

Dec 9, 2001 at 4:04 AM Post #84 of 110
*frowns* Than who here who DOES have an uber-system use it with a PC with audiophile-grade components? I am sure I remember hearing about people here that DO...

Dec 9, 2001 at 4:09 AM Post #85 of 110
Quote:

O.K. my Wharefedale Anniversary models cost $81.00 shipped and my ASL Waves were under $200. I consider that a pretty good price/performance ratio even compared to computer speakers. There you go, a nonphilosophical example of price/performance. I am not an elitist either, I have just found that there are relatively few true bargains with most popular, mass-market items, including "computer" speakers.

Hey morphsci when you got some spare time, could you post some info links to those two items? I'm putting my Tituses against all these PC speakers recommended, but the combo of em + the Rotel 972 puts them at $700, so it's not really fair. But your combo at $280 really sounds like it could smoke anything being recommended above, simply because the components are coming from companies primarily concerned about musical quality, and not games or movies.
evil_smiley.gif
I'm interested in seeing more about em.

Quote:

Doesn't one of the people who has the R-10's use them with his PC?

Heheheheheeheheheheheh I used to. I utterly hate using my soundcard for music now.
evil_smiley.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif
evil_smiley.gif
I don't even do speaker listening through my Sblive anymore, much less headphone listening.

Yes the soundcard world really is that bad.
very_evil_smiley.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif

Dec 9, 2001 at 4:21 AM Post #86 of 110
Vertigo! Than get a sound card from M-Audio, or something! And get rid of all of those fans, LOL!

At *least* get a Turtle Beach Santa Cruz.... make your computer listenable again!
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 9, 2001 at 4:34 AM Post #87 of 110
I had a M-Audio Delta Dio + Cal Audio Gamma combo before. That's what, $350+ invested in the soundcard right there. It still sounded utterly horrible.
very_evil_smiley.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif

Dec 9, 2001 at 4:39 AM Post #88 of 110
wow, my thread exploded!

I guess I shouldn't compare my hd580s to my fps1800s. But, as said before, they have different purposes. I listen to MUSIC with my senns. I play games with my fps1800s.

Oh yeah, how are those monsoons for gaming? a 4.2 setup sounds neat . . .

Dec 9, 2001 at 4:45 AM Post #89 of 110
Alright, so now Vertigo is CERTIFIABLY insane.....

*notices "rap" in Vertigo's music preferences comments, and then notices what he said recently*

Lah-dee-dah.....

Dec 9, 2001 at 4:51 AM Post #90 of 110
Quote:

Alright, so now Vertigo is CERTIFIABLY insane.....

*notices "rap" in Vertigo's music preferences comments, and then notices what he said recently*

Lah-dee-dah.....

LMAO!!! Where have you been lately, in Pluto? My musical preferences have nothing to do with what I've said lately. Rap? What's that? I haven't listened to rap literally in the last 6-8 months!

Take a look at my avatar if you just don't get it.
evil_smiley.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif
evil_smiley.gif

No more soundcards for me ever again! MUHAHAHAHAHAHAH!!!
very_evil_smiley.gif

I'm not insane, just enlightened.
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back