why did AKG 501s get discontinued?
Dec 12, 2010 at 11:40 AM Post #31 of 33
Hahaha! At the moment a second hand k240M is probably one of the best bargains out there for a semi open phone, though I only have the k240DF for reference. They must have produced  thousands of sets over the years. Even the sextett's come up pretty frequently

Quote:
You'll never catch me complaining about not being able to acquire a Q701 on ebay after they are discontinued. ;D  Some things I cannot see their price increasing after AKG retires them.  Maybe I should ask were the King of AKG Fanboyism acquired his once massive AKG shrine/closet [Fitz].  I can only aspire to have a collection as nice and as complete as his [once was].  I cannot really complain about increasing prices, on awesome AKG headphones, I've not chasing the K1000's yet. ;P

Don't forget the people who want a backup pair! ;D

Dec 12, 2010 at 4:09 PM Post #32 of 33
Yes the K701 use a different voice coil "flat-wire" technology that come from their microphones i believe.

Quote:
I was pretty sure that the K601 and the K701 shares the same diaphragm geometry, the only difference being that the voice coil is 120ohms on the K601 while the K701 was 62ohms.

Dec 13, 2010 at 9:01 AM Post #33 of 33
Now is it the shape/design of the diaphragm of the driver or the flat-wire voice coil of the driver that give the K701 the unnatural/wonky mids?  (Um I forget if the K601 has the same problem with the mids).

Your post made me think; I totally forgot they made a few dynamic microphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back