why did AKG 501s get discontinued?
Dec 11, 2010 at 9:15 PM Post #16 of 33
Not to mention some instruments just don't work with the K701.  I have had a song with a steel drum rift in it that virtually disappears when you listen to it with the K701.

Dec 11, 2010 at 9:28 PM Post #17 of 33
Although I dont have the K240M anymore I did own it at the same time as the K400.  From what I can recall the K240M was more neutral and flat sounding which makes sense because it is a studio headphone.  The K240M had a smaller soundstage and a good detail.  The K400 is more fun with its emphasis on mids and rich warm tone.  

I have not tried the K601 pads but I expect I will buy some in the near future.  Both my K500 and K400 had pads and elastics where still in great condition so I didnt feel pressure to get new elastics.  

Drop Stay updated on Drop at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/drop https://twitter.com/drop https://www.massdrop.com/?clickid=3QR3Ib27lyA-VkBRJwyGuQJeUkhUQvX5r0tLzQ0&utm_term=252901&utm_content=VigLink&utm_medium=affiliate&utm_source=impactradius&irgwc=1
Dec 11, 2010 at 9:38 PM Post #18 of 33
Do you remember if one had better high end and low end extension or where they roughly equal in that regard?

This just makes me wish I still had my K240M, that and makes me want K40X or K50X more.

Dec 11, 2010 at 9:55 PM Post #19 of 33
I figure that the K401 and K501 were discontinued because they implemented a new generation of the Varimotion manufacturing process. Which i thin was the same as the K400 and K500 to the 01 versions.

From the 00 to 01 versions, the drivers are variations on the same design, implemented with newer technology in the 01. The K601 is similar to the K501 in the same way, but the K701 is a new diaphragm geometry.

Dec 11, 2010 at 10:04 PM Post #20 of 33
I was pretty sure that the K601 and the K701 shares the same diaphragm geometry, the only difference being that the voice coil is 120ohms on the K601 while the K701 was 62ohms.  (There might be thickness differences but I'm not sure if it's possible to confirm that).  I was under the impression that the KX00 vs the KX01 was doping of the drivers to make one seam superior to another (to create a low end model and a high end model from the same headphones).  Could be under a false impression.

When were the K501's discontinued, and the K601, and K701s introduced?

Dec 11, 2010 at 11:24 PM Post #21 of 33
IIRC, the K-501 and K-1000 were discontinued around the same time the K-601/701 were introduced at CES. That was interesting. The K-1000 had been selling around $700, but remaining stock shot up to $1,000. The K-501 went down to about $100 and lingered for awhile since there wasn't much interest. Since, prices have gone up on both. Around the same time, the HD-580 closed out and there were some amazing deals on it, as well.

Dec 11, 2010 at 11:29 PM Post #22 of 33

Quote:
IIRC, the K-501 and K-1000 were discontinued around the same time the K-601/701 were introduced at CES. That was interesting. The K-1000 had been selling around $700, but remaining stock shot up to $1,000. The K-501 went down to about $100 and lingered for awhile since there wasn't much interest. Since, prices have gone up on both. Around the same time, the HD-580 closed out and there were some amazing deals on it, as well.

Whenever I see a company do things like this it usually strikes me as a sort of bait and switch.  'Hey check out our new upgraded products made on our newer, more cost effective manufacturing process.'  Things that make you go , 'Hmm....'

Dec 12, 2010 at 12:14 AM Post #23 of 33
Try some muted trumpets with the 70X. That's one of the places the upper mid resonance can stick out like a sore thumb. I've got both of the CD's from the 'Sinatra on Capital' collection and the 702 excels on string sections, but the 240DF is much better with brass sections...not to mention Mr.Sinatra himself.
@tdogzthmn: for great upfront mids you should give the DF a try.
Quote:
Not to mention some instruments just don't work with the K701.  I have had a song with a steel drum rift in it that virtually disappears when you listen to it with the K701.

Dec 12, 2010 at 5:38 AM Post #24 of 33

Quote:
Do you remember if one had better high end and low end extension or where they roughly equal in that regard?

This just makes me wish I still had my K240M, that and makes me want K40X or K50X more.

I remember the K240M having tight bass but I'm not sure if it went lower than the K400.  The treble on the K240 was a little brighter where the the K400 comes off as smoother sounding.  

@ lejaz.  I thought the DF was designed to be ruler flat and not colored like the K400.  I have looked into the DF but I'd like to try out the Sextett first.

Drop Stay updated on Drop at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/drop https://twitter.com/drop https://www.massdrop.com/?clickid=3QR3Ib27lyA-VkBRJwyGuQJeUkhUQvX5r0tLzQ0&utm_term=252901&utm_content=VigLink&utm_medium=affiliate&utm_source=impactradius&irgwc=1
Dec 12, 2010 at 6:05 AM Post #25 of 33
Quote:
Try some muted trumpets with the 70X. That's one of the places the upper mid resonance can stick out like a sore thumb. I've got both of the CD's from the 'Sinatra on Capital' collection and the 702 excels on string sections, but the 240DF is much better with brass sections...not to mention Mr.Sinatra himself.

I'll have to track down a copy of that album.  I always enjoy Sinatra's songs, which is odd that he's not in my music library yet.  Those don't happen to be on vinyl as well?  [Doubt that my record store would have it, besides I need to get a pre-amp for the good turntable].

I've been considering getting a DF but they seem to being going for more on average than the Monitors.  Sounds like it has a good mid range as well.

P.S.  Either I staged my last pair of K240's off ebay for a great deal or somebody has been driving the prices up... Fitz hasn't been getting people to go K240 hunting again has he? ;D

Dec 12, 2010 at 9:37 AM Post #26 of 33
@ tdogzhmn: Yes, you're right, the DF is supposed to be flat as they come. Perhaps the mids on that phone are just better defined with more weight than the 702 mids....rather than having more quantity, if that makes sense. Vocals come through with better authority with the DF for sure...significantly so...the 701 seems a little soft focused or diffused. The DF mids make the 701 mids seem a little recessed, but I think it's just relative. The DF may be 'neutral'/flat, but they seem upfront relative to the 702. Any way you look at it they are worth a listen. The highs are quite good as well....the lower bass is a bit weak though, so they're not your best choice for hip hop or other bass centric music.
Quote:
Quote:

I remember the K240M having tight bass but I'm not sure if it went lower than the K400.  The treble on the K240 was a little brighter where the the K400 comes off as smoother sounding.  

@ lejaz.  I thought the DF was designed to be ruler flat and not colored like the K400.  I have looked into the DF but I'd like to try out the Sextett first.

Dec 12, 2010 at 9:42 AM Post #27 of 33
The DF is harder to come by than the 240M that's for sure. AKG most likely made a lot less of that model. I suppose that may drive the price up a bit. The M can be found on ebay just about any day of the week for a relatively cheap price....under $100.

Quote:
Quote:

I'll have to track down a copy of that album.  I always enjoy Sinatra's songs, which is odd that he's not in my music library yet.  Those don't happen to be on vinyl as well?  [Doubt that my record store would have it, besides I need to get a pre-amp for the good turntable].

I've been considering getting a DF but they seem to being going for more on average than the Monitors.  Sounds like it has a good mid range as well.

P.S.  Either I staged my last pair of K240's off ebay for a great deal or somebody has been driving the prices up... Fitz hasn't been getting people to go K240 hunting again has he? ;D

Dec 12, 2010 at 10:23 AM Post #28 of 33
Well I got my first pair of Monitors for $20-ish maybe a bit less, a year ago (when they seemed to be going for a bit less).  I cannot seam to get a pair for such a cheap price recently.  They get bid up to $40 to $50, and $50 to $75 for DF [there is normally one pair each time I look].  Not that they are not worth every penny.  They come up often enough you think the people bidding on them will dissipate as everyone wins a pair; leading to less competition. ;D  Maybe I can stag a K40X or a K50X while everyone is preoccupied with the K240's.  Or maybe there will be another great Kijiji find (Still kicking myself for not responding to the $50 K340 early enough).

I have no real concept of how many of each version exist roughly.  I just know they are all pretty common place [K240 Models] when it comes to AKG headphones.  To bring it back around to K50X and K40X how often do they appear on ebay?  Recently in the past few months to my recollection I remember one, and it had a damaged driver according to the description.

P.S.  Any ebay tips when it comes to find AKG headphones on ebay?  Keywords to use to find mislabeled ones that don't typically come up with the normal terms.  [Finding the listings of the people who don't exactly know what they have].

Dec 12, 2010 at 10:45 AM Post #29 of 33
@ TheKisho

Yeah, I think $75 would be about right for a decent set of 240DF on ebay. The k50X might be double that though I'm afraid. There's a lot of us head-fi'ers looking for a good bargain on the old AKG models, so we probably wind up bidding against each other.
redface.gif
Unfortunately once a good product is discontinued (like the phones we're discussing) there's going to be a lot of folks looking for a second hand one on ebay. That's just the way it goes. The blame goes to AKG for discontinuing them in the first place! If they were still in production a used set of 50X would be a lot easier to find.

Dec 12, 2010 at 11:28 AM Post #30 of 33
You'll never catch me complaining about not being able to acquire a Q701 on ebay after they are discontinued. ;D  Some things I cannot see their price increasing after AKG retires them.  Maybe I should ask were the King of AKG Fanboyism acquired his once massive AKG shrine/closet [Fitz].  I can only aspire to have a collection as nice and as complete as his [once was].  I cannot really complain about increasing prices, on awesome AKG headphones, I've not chasing the K1000's yet. ;P

Don't forget the people who want a backup pair! ;D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back