Why Aren't the Sony 7550 as popular as the EX1000?
Jun 4, 2013 at 1:24 PM Post #16 of 52
^ Looking forward to your impressions Dweaver. I never felt the DT1350s were overly bright. The only issue I had, other than it hurting the ears after an hour, was an attenuated upper mid-range which gave it a sound that's hard to explain. Other than that. It has a very nice sound but needs an amp. 
Quote:
Hmm. That's not so great for a treble/mid head like me. I own the DT1350 and SRH940. How might it compare to SE535?

Thanks!

I would avoid the SE535. Great mid-range, but highs roll off significantly. 

Jun 4, 2013 at 10:16 PM Post #17 of 52
Quote:
Actually the 7550, replaced the ex1000 as their flagship. The Ex1000 although still available for purchase is no longer being sold or made by Sony. The fact that the ex1000 costs more than 7550 makes opionions of sound quality biased.

Quite true... the XBA-4 also has an MSRP $100 more than the MDR-7550 but is clearly sonically inferior...  I have the XBA-40 (improved XBA-4), XB-90 (bass monster), MDR-EX600 and had the MDR-EX1000 recently and the MDR-7550 is my favorite - for me it balances the best qualities of the EX600 and EX1000.

Drew 

Jun 5, 2013 at 4:02 AM Post #18 of 52
I actually made a very lengthy comparison thread and some videos between the EX1000, 7550, XBA-4 and XBA-40 for anyone who is interested:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/608553/review-comparison-two-flagships-pass-in-the-night-sony-xba-4-review-vs-the-mdr-ex1000-updated-with-7550-and-xba-40

But to answer the OP's question, I have often wondered why the 7550 is less popular than the EX1000 myself, and I think it comes down to a few things:

1. The 7550 was never marketed the same way the EX1000 was - it was geared towards Sony 'Pro' users for use as a professional monitor.

2. Marketing was split between the 7550 moniker in US markets and the EX800ST  moniker in Japan / Asia, which probably made it confusing and less likely for any word of  mouth to spread between domestic markets. When the EX1000 and EX600 was released in Asia, the EX800ST was almost a mystery footnote release. The 7550 only appeared on the scene quietly in the US. I do not even know if the 7550 / EX800ST is available outside of Asia / US markets. It is not available for instance in Australia. (Nor was the EX1000 or EX600 I believe).

3. I think when you are looking at super expensive premium gear (and the EX1000 was stratospherically expensive at launch) strangely enough no one really talks about the 'also ran' models in the middle of the spectrum unless there is a really compelling reason to do so. Everyone likes the budget models because they promise to capture the magic of the high end at a bargain price, and everyone likes the flagship models because they are aspirational. The 'also ran' tends to suffer in my view because it is not priced low enough to attract the 'HEAD FI BARGAIN OF THE CENTURY' punters but not high enough to catch the fancy of the top fliers.

For instance:

AD700 / AD900 / AD1000 / AD2000 - As far as I can tell there is very little information about the AD1000. The same goes for the X series.

XBA-1 / XBA-2 / XBA-3 / XBA-4 - This is an interesting case because the XBA-4 is almost universally considered terrible, so the XBA-3 almost became the flagship in this case. The XBA-1 is considered a well balanced earphone and the XBA-3 is considered well balanced and no one seems to talk about the XBA-2.

Now as for the 7550 itself, I love my pair. I would really hesitate to say that either the 7550 or EX1000 is better, because they are magical in their own ways.

The EX1000's build quality really screams Sony super premium and the sound seems to match that ethos. The signature works wonderfully for all the kinds of music we associate with 'audiophiles' - slow, atmospheric, female vocals, etc. (This is also why I hate the term 'audiophile' because of the stuffy connotations).

The 7550 is very much more a workhorse IEM. It works a lot better for a lot more genres (I actually used it as a monitor myself) and is an everyman. However, here's the rub: the 7550 doesn't have the same kind of romance attatched to it in either the sound, build quality or price. It is just a very neutral IEM.

Compared to other neutral IEMs like the GR07 and RE-400, it comes off badly just because of it's strange fit and poor application for portable use. (Wind noise / poor isolation). Unlike the EX1000 though it doesn't have the same kind of magical unicorn audiophile assocation that renders its flaws as esoteric and charming rather than inconvenient design.

That said I like the 7550 for its soundstaging and its rich tone - they make me think of the EX1000 without making my ears bleed for it.

Also keep in mind that different people are sensitive to different frequencies. Some people might find the treble spike of the EX1000 hunky dory. I think the EX1000 sounds great until I try to play any modern recording on it, at which point it just gets very hit and miss.

I reject the idea that the EX1000 only sounds bad on bad recordings, because it's a somewhat facile argument - it implies that somehow the music is bad because the sound engineer done goofed.

I would compare it to sports suspensions on sports cars: they offer great handling and a good feel with the road surface, but are extremely jarring when travelling on any uneven or badly maintained road. You wouldn't say: don't travel on bad roads then, because people actually need to get places. The 7550 is a comfortable ride that gets you through a lot of music wonderfully. And of course, every now and then when the road is right, it's fun to take the sports car out for a spin.

If Sony had made an EX1000 with variable tuning so that you could get the same 3db low pass filter with the EX1000's build quality and low distortion driver characteristics I would really fall in love.

Jun 5, 2013 at 4:05 AM Post #19 of 52
I should also pose this interesting question:

Of all the 7550 owners, does anyone own the 7550 without owning / having owned the EX1000? Almost everyone I can think of who I have talked to about the 7550 on Head-Fi are 'switchers' from the EX1000.

Jun 5, 2013 at 6:30 AM Post #20 of 52
Quote:

Of all the 7550 owners, does anyone own the 7550 without owning / having owned the EX1000? Almost everyone I can think of who I have talked to about the 7550 on Head-Fi are 'switchers' from the EX1000.

I can think of two head-fiers: jgray91 & Vitor Teixeira.

Jun 5, 2013 at 8:29 AM Post #21 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by a_recording /img/forum/go_quote.gif

... I have often wondered why the 7550 is less popular than the EX1000 myself, and I think it comes down to a few things:

1. The 7550 was never marketed the same way the EX1000 was - it was geared towards Sony 'Pro' users for use as a professional monitor.

2. Marketing was split between the 7550 moniker in US markets and the EX800ST  moniker in Japan / Asia, which probably made it confusing and less likely for any word of  mouth to spread between domestic markets. When the EX1000 and EX600 was released in Asia, the EX800ST was almost a mystery footnote release. The 7550 only appeared on the scene quietly in the US. I do not even know if the 7550 / EX800ST is available outside of Asia / US markets. It is not available for instance in Australia. (Nor was the EX1000 or EX600 I believe).

3. I think when you are looking at super expensive premium gear (and the EX1000 was stratospherically expensive at launch) strangely enough no one really talks about the 'also ran' models in the middle of the spectrum unless there is a really compelling reason to do so. Everyone likes the budget models because they promise to capture the magic of the high end at a bargain price, and everyone likes the flagship models because they are aspirational. The 'also ran' tends to suffer in my view because it is not priced low enough to attract the 'HEAD FI BARGAIN OF THE CENTURY' punters but not high enough to catch the fancy of the top fliers.

Good points, but TBH, I think it mostly comes down to the fact many more seem to think that more expensive = better (at least on Head-fi).

Quote:

The EX1000's build quality really screams Sony super premium and the sound seems to match that ethos.

... However, here's the rub: the 7550 doesn't have the same kind of romance attatched to it in either the sound, build quality or price. It is just a very neutral IEM.

The 7550 / EX800's housings actually have better build quality than the housings of the more expensive EX1000 (both models made in Japan, BTW). Even the much cheaper (made-in-Thailand) EX600's housings seem to have better build quality. The EX1000s do look nicer but build isn't quite as premium as it should have been.

The EX1000 original cable (which only came with the EX1000s sold in Europe and Asia), along with a second, shorter cable, are of better quality, but the actual strain reliefs at the plugs on both the cheaper EX600 & 7550 are stronger, better, more durable in the long run.

Quote:

That said I like the 7550 for its soundstaging and its rich tone - they make me think of the EX1000 without making my ears bleed for it.

Also keep in mind that different people are sensitive to different frequencies. Some people might find the treble spike of the EX1000 hunky dory. I think the EX1000 sounds great until I try to play any modern recording on it, at which point it just gets very hit and miss.

I've maintained for a long time that the EX1000 & 7550 (AND EX600) sound very, very, very similar, and most of these differences being very subtle indeed. Only a few days ago, by chance, I came across this FR graph showing the differences between the EX1000 & EX800ST (aka 7550). (I had all 3 models at the same time, BTW, so was able to compare all 3)

To be honest, I'm not quite sure I actually heard the EX1000 & EX800 (7550) as shown in that graph, but the person doing the measurements at least used the same method to measure both models, so even if that graph isn't accurate enough (according to my ears), it does show that both models are pretty close sonically.

Unfortunately, there's often quite a bit of exaggeration when it comes to describing sonic differences between phones (several factors that make people make such exaggerated and erratic claims). There's one member, in particular, who has repeatedly called the EX1000s "garbage" in dozens, and dozens and dozens of threads. Much, much later he got a pair of 7550s and he declared them a great IEM, significantly different SQ-wise to the EX1000s. Oh well, "welcome to HF", I guess...

Quote:
I think the EX1000 sounds great until I try to play any modern recording on it, at which point it just gets very hit and miss.

...The EX1000's build quality really screams Sony super premium and the sound seems to match that ethos. The signature works wonderfully for all the kinds of music we associate with 'audiophiles' - slow, atmospheric, female vocals, etc. (This is also why I hate the term 'audiophile' because of the stuffy connotations).

I reject the idea that the EX1000 only sounds bad on bad recordings, because it's a somewhat facile argument - it implies that somehow the music is bad because the sound engineer done goofed.

My experience was that both EX600 & EX1000 (and to a lesser extent the 7550 / EX800) sounded pretty bad with bright recordings and/or recordings that would fall under the "loudness wars" category. All 3 Sony models are reasonably bright-sounding IEMs already, so a recording (of any genre) that is bright to begin with, won't sound that great on these Sonys. Of course, as you noted, people have different tolerances for different frequencies, so, as already seen in several threads, some people seem to enjoy many genres / albums, while others not so. I personally found the EX1000 quite amazing with well recorded and / or mastered music, and found the 7550 a better all-rounder, just a tad more forgiving of poor source material.

The 7550 & EX1000 have been the only two IEMs I've been tempted to re-buy several times, but I just know I wouldn't use them that much at all—these days I listen mostly to my HD800s (full-sized phones), PF IX & 1601SS—as I do practically all my music listening at home. I do prefer the much more expensive ($1,100) FI-BA-SS over the EX1000 & 7550 but, from memory, I'm pretty sure I also prefer the much cheaper FI-BA-SB (aka Heaven-S), too — again, my ears tell me the FI-BA-SS and FI-BA-SB are not that far apart sonically as some might claim.

Jun 5, 2013 at 9:07 AM Post #22 of 52
Quote:
I've maintained for a long time that the EX1000 & 7550 (AND EX600) sound very, very, very similar, and most of these differences being very subtle indeed. Only a few days ago, by chance, I came across this FR graph showing the differences between the EX1000 & EX800ST (aka 7550). (I had all 3 models at the same time, BTW, so was able to compare all 3)

To be honest, I'm not quite sure I actually heard the EX1000 & EX800 (7550) as shown in that graph, but the person doing the measurements at least used the same method to measure both models, so even if that graph isn't accurate enough (according to my ears), it does show that both models are pretty close sonically.

This is the graph I actually used to decide to buy the 7550! It may not seem like much of a difference but if you read the scale of the graph it depicts a 3db difference in frequencies from 2k onwards, with a 6db difference on the biggest peaks.

Comparing Tyll's graphs at innerfidelity also confirm this difference.

If you apply 3db or 6db adjustments on the EQ of any earphone, it will sound quite different indeed. I know this from experience just adjusting someone's voice (my own) with 6db increments at different frequencies... you start to get all kinds of interesting tin can effects or other weird suck outs / emphasised tones.

While I wouldn't say that there is a night and day difference between the sounds of the 7550 and EX1000 - they share the same basic character - I do find the treble spike on the EX1000 something quite distracting, even to the point where I sort of become worried about it even when it isn't present on a particular track. It does sort of take you out of the music. 

This thread does inspire me to do some tip rolling and see if I can't find the right tip size for the EX1000 though. I don't remember if I tried M sized foam hybrid tips so I'll give these a go for a bit.

Jun 5, 2013 at 9:22 AM Post #23 of 52
Quote:

This is the graph I actually used to decide to buy the 7550! It may not seem like much of a difference but if you read the scale of the graph it depicts a 3db difference in frequencies from 2k onwards, with a 6db difference on the biggest peaks.

Sorry to be a bit 'anal' here, but it's more like a 4dB & 5dB (or 5.5dB) difference. Still, not so sure these differences would really account for such marked contrasts reported by some, though…

Jun 5, 2013 at 9:26 AM Post #24 of 52
I agree that the EX800ST is a great IEM! It seems so evenly balanced across the entire audio frequency band when compared to many of my other IEM's. It is my impression that the 7550 and the 800 share identical drivers, with only a few cosmetic differences.

A very under-rated phone indeed!

Jun 5, 2013 at 9:33 AM Post #25 of 52
Quote:

Quote:

I can think of two head-fiers: jgray91 & Vitor Teixeira.

Oh, yes, HiFlight, too.

Quote:
I agree that the EX800ST is a great IEM! It seems so evenly balanced across the entire audio frequency band when compared to many of my other IEM's. It is my impression that the 7550 and the 800 share identical drivers, with only a few cosmetic differences.

A very under-rated phone indeed!

Indeed, a very underrated phone. (I remember the 7550 cable actually has EX800 or EX800ST written on it, so both have the exact same cable)

Jun 5, 2013 at 9:44 AM Post #26 of 52
Quote:
 It is my impression that the 7550 and the 800 share identical drivers, with only a few cosmetic differences.

I think the only "cosmetic" difference is just the actual name:

Jun 5, 2013 at 5:57 PM Post #29 of 52
Interesting thread- I may put the 7550 on my list of phones to keep an eye out for. 

Can anyone comment on their ergonomics?  I know they let in ambient noise, but I'm talking purely about fit.  They look a little awkward in design compared to conventional housings and after the TF10 I am paranoid. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back